PDA

View Full Version : Battery powered X-mas mini lights

Different Socks
06-11-2011, 00:49
Has anyone ever taken a string of these on a hike during a holiday outing? Where did you purchase them from?

soulrebel
06-11-2011, 09:12
hobby lobby $3

Slo-go'en
06-11-2011, 09:45
I saw a lady string a set of these along her hammock ridge line. Backpackers version of the lights RVer's string along thier awnings...

Blissful
06-11-2011, 11:40
Now this has got to be a new topic for WB. Christmas lights on a hike. :) Any lights we had on our front wreath battery operated took one huge D cell and were out in a few hours. Not worth the weight, imo. I don't use them at home either

Rain Man
06-11-2011, 11:52
You can get 'em CHEAP at Home Depot or Lowe's right AFTER the holidays. Go for the red ones with plain (not star-shaped) bulbs, and switch the AA batteries with AAA batteries.

Rain:sunMan

GlitterHiker
06-11-2011, 16:53
I have these, from REI. I saw them displayed on a tent. After asking "Do people really use these?", I couldn't resist.
http://www.rei.com/product/807914/eno-twilights-led-light-string

4Bears
06-11-2011, 17:03
With the "new" led lights they might be fairly efficient, I think I could find something else I would really rather have for the extra weight though.

Jonnycat
06-11-2011, 20:44
There was a string up at the ski shelter I snowshoed seven miles into this spring. I lit them up for a minute while my dinner was cooling, and they made me smile.

Thanks random person!

leaftye
06-11-2011, 21:04
You can get 'em CHEAP at Home Depot or Lowe's right AFTER the holidays. Go for the red ones with plain (not star-shaped) bulbs, and switch the AA batteries with AAA batteries.

With the weight of the adapters required, the weight savings for using AAA would be almost nothing.

Different Socks
06-12-2011, 00:43
"Now this has got to be a new topic for WB."---Thank you! Refreshing isn't it? Actually I was asking b/c I wish to use them on my kayak while floating on Lake Michigan in Milwaukee while watching the fireworks.
Plus maybe for a festive feel when I' am on the AT during X-mas.

JERMM
06-12-2011, 08:06
i bought um at Walgreens and lined the deck of my kayak for a night trip

kayak karl
06-12-2011, 08:13
thats a great idea for the kayak for the fireworks show from the river. :)

soulrebel
06-12-2011, 08:37
You guys ruin it by talking about the weight of everything and how it's too much!!! Someone even provides you with a signpost to the overlook, yet the sign is not good enough.

I always have one or two sets in my pack with an additional 16-20 AA batteries to supply as much blinky blink as I like. Come join the party!

bigcranky
06-12-2011, 09:26
Yes, love those things. Got 'em at one of the home stores after the holidays for cheap.

Rain Man
06-12-2011, 13:38
With the weight of the adapters required, the weight savings for using AAA would be almost nothing.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but I like multi-function gear. The AAA batteries could always go into my headlamp if needed. :p

Rain Man
06-12-2011, 13:40

You always have been TOO creative!!! :D I love it!!! Wife and I are going to do some night kayaking on the local lake tomorrow evening. I think I'll surprise her.

kayak karl
06-12-2011, 14:40
Maybe yes, maybe no, but I like multi-function gear. The AAA batteries could always go into my headlamp if needed. :p

i even adapted my mp3 to AAA http://www.dealextreme.com/p/translucent-aaa-to-aa-battery-converter-case-8-pack-3657 :)

CourtneyPatterson
06-10-2013, 09:53
Now this has got to be a new topic for WB. Christmas lights on a hike. :) Any lights we had on our front wreath battery operated took one huge D cell and were out in a few hours. Not worth the weight, imo. I don't use them at home either

Sorry for old thread reply but I will never use christmas lights on a hike. You need special flashlights for this purpose. I think it was just a useless thought nothing else:)

Slo-go'en
06-10-2013, 12:18
Sorry for old thread reply but I will never use christmas lights on a hike. You need special flashlights for this purpose. I think it was just a useless thought nothing else:)

I hiked with a guy this spring who carried a string of LED Xmass lights. These randomly changed colors between red/green/blue and were fun to watch. Ran on 2 AA batteries which lasted a long time. He would string them up inside his tent or in shelters. Having these is no more silly then some of the useless things some people carry just for the heck of it.

I carried a solar powered LED garden light for 500 miles. Made a great night light. For 95 cents and a couple of ounces, why not? It worked well until the green tunnel filled in and no longer got enough sun to stay on very long at night. So I left it set up on the Picnic table at "Dave's Place" in Damascus to provide a table lamp.

rocketsocks
06-10-2013, 15:52
I hiked with a guy this spring who carried a string of LED Xmass lights. These randomly changed colors between red/green/blue and were fun to watch. Ran on 2 AA batteries which lasted a long time. He would string them up inside his tent or in shelters. Having these is no more silly then some of the useless things some people carry just for the heck of it.

I carried a solar powered LED garden light for 500 miles. Made a great night light. For 95 cents and a couple of ounces, why not? It worked well until the green tunnel filled in and no longer got enough sun to stay on very long at night. So I left it set up on the Picnic table at "Dave's Place" in Damascus to provide a table lamp.Very nice on the Eco table light.....saw these for sale a wally world for 97 cents...think i'll pick a few up for different stuffs, and allow one to ride on the outside of my pack for my night road walks.