PDA

View Full Version : New Lekis

Spider
06-11-2011, 14:22
Just picked up a pair of used lekis at the REI attic sale. There's a little wear on the tips. Though I don't think they're in need of replacement quite yet, I was wondering how you tell when the tips are past their days/why replacement is even necessary? Thanks!

leaftye
06-11-2011, 15:49
When the tips are gone, it's time to replace them.

Spider
06-11-2011, 16:09
Got it. that seems easy enough haha.

2 Dogs
06-13-2011, 09:04
Hey Spider

Check with Leki, depending on which model they are - they could have a life time warranty ......... Yup, mine do, any time I bend a shaft, I just shoot an e-mail off and the parts are delivered in a couple of days, No shipping cost either

Elder
06-13-2011, 10:02
Hi Spider
The tips will last 500-1000 miles (YMMV) on average.
Keep the baskets on to help protect the lower shaft and prevent digging too deep.
Leki's replaces damaged parts, but tips are like tires..they wear out and need replacing. Leki dealers have tips for sale, and will usually install them free.
The Only place tips are free...is at Trail Days as part of our Clean and repair service
Thanks

Yes, I am the Leki guy..

Spokes
06-13-2011, 10:49
Mine lasted as far as Manchester Center on my 2009 NOBO hike. I looked down and saw the grizzly plastic nub and knew it was time...........

Cheers!

peakbagger
06-13-2011, 10:50
I hike up in the whites, which is hard Leki Pole tips. The plastic encasing the tips usually wear out long before the carbines do. The plastic keep wearing away until the carbide falls out. I get about two years of hiking before its time to replace.

The last time I was at EMS in North Conway NH, I went to buy new pole tips and was informed by a "haughty" sales person "that they did not stock parts for Lekis and would I like to buy a new pair?". Great way to lose a long term customer. I happened to visit REI in Seattle a few months later and they did stock them as well as many other retailers.

Spokes
06-13-2011, 10:56
The last time I was at EMS in North Conway NH, I went to buy new pole tips and was informed by a "haughty" sales person "that they did not stock parts for Lekis and would I like to buy a new pair?". Great way to lose a long term customer. ......

Sort of reminds me about a similar EMS experience when I went in to replace a worn out set of boots. The salesman darn near refused to fetch a pair insisting he "measure" my feet first.

I just looked at him, laughed, and said I'd just walked over 1600 miles so I knew a little about what size I needed.

I'm amazed my hiker funk didn't tip him off sooner.

Elder
06-13-2011, 12:14
You can also go to www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) to the Trekking section for a video on how to replace the tips.

jeffmeh
06-13-2011, 13:34
I hike up in the whites, which is hard Leki Pole tips. The plastic encasing the tips usually wear out long before the carbines do. The plastic keep wearing away until the carbide falls out. I get about two years of hiking before its time to replace.

The last time I was at EMS in North Conway NH, I went to buy new pole tips and was informed by a "haughty" sales person "that they did not stock parts for Lekis and would I like to buy a new pair?". Great way to lose a long term customer. I happened to visit REI in Seattle a few months later and they did stock them as well as many other retailers.

Sorry to hear about the EMS experience. I had a very different experience at that store when one of the twist-locks failed on my Lekis that I had bought there. They gave me a comparable pair of Black Diamonds (actually, better from my perspective, because I was definitely done with twist-locks) for free. I have found both EMS and REI to be more than reasonable about replacing failed equipment.

Spider
06-13-2011, 16:43
Hey Spider

Check with Leki, depending on which model they are - they could have a life time warranty ......... Yup, mine do, any time I bend a shaft, I just shoot an e-mail off and the parts are delivered in a couple of days, No shipping cost either

I wonder if that warranty would be valid for me since I bought them used from an REI attic sale?

Enic
06-22-2011, 19:32
Well, I'm pretty sure that the warranty is lifetime for original purchaser... That being said, you have a reciept, and have never heard of LEKI asking for proof of purchase... Yes, it should be good for you. Aluminum breakage and bend warranty is for life, carbon fiber is 1 year only.

jeramie75
09-20-2011, 21:23
Carbide tips last quite awhile. Being new they will have a concave surface. It will take some time/mile to alter this shape.