PDA

View Full Version : NF 42 road access to Springer

maintenance man
02-02-2005, 12:10
I remember reading on some site that there is a small parking lot close to the trailhead on Springer. My wife would like to hike up to the trailhead with me, but doesn't want to do the 8 miles from the state park parking lot. Will the forest service allow us to drive to the small lot < 1 mile from the trailhead off of NF road 42. She would be parked there only long enough for us to cover the hike to the start and for her to hike back. At 57 she doesn't feel as up to long distances as she once was especially in colder weather. We'd be there around March 24. The road condition is a minor concern as she has taken the 4WD over some pretty ugly rutts and slop. Thanks for any knowledgable help.

orangebug
02-02-2005, 12:30
It is an easy drive, unless ice, sleet and snow are involved. It is easy to find the lot in March, tougher when everything leafs out. The walk from the lot (I think you pay $3 to the box) is very easy. Some folks have arranged to meet family and slackpack that approach trail.

Enjoy, and hug your wife for sharing at least part of the dream with you.

jlb2012
02-02-2005, 12:57
the FS no longer tries to collect a fee at that parking lot according to the notice on the board at the lot when I was up there a month ago. The road up wasn't bad from the North side but as OB mentioned watch out for snow and ice conditions.

good directions that I used were from Youngblood on this thread : http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1033

Almanac
02-02-2005, 12:59
The walk from the lot (I think you pay $3 to the box) is very easy.

There is no longer a fee for parking at this lot.

Almanac

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 17:58
My wife did exactly that last March 1st. Indeed, she made several jaunts back-and-forth from the van to the Springer shelter. And she's 50+.

I'm sure your wife will do fine.
:sun
Rain Man