PDA

View Full Version : Weather in the Mt Rogers area in July

Tex81
06-12-2011, 10:43
I'm going to be doing a week long loop in the Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands area in early to mid July, and I'm wondering what mind of weather (temperature wise) to expect. I've looked at some NOAA historical data and see that highs can still be in the upper 80's, but can be much cooler, and the lows can still be in the 40's overnight. Anyone from the area hike much in mid summer with any words of wisdom? I want to make sure my gear/clothing is appropriate for a week above 4,000 ft.

Blue Jay
06-12-2011, 17:02
I'm going to be doing a week long loop in the Mt Rogers/Grayson Highlands area in early to mid July, and I'm wondering what mind of weather (temperature wise) to expect. I've looked at some NOAA historical data and see that highs can still be in the upper 80's, but can be much cooler, and the lows can still be in the 40's overnight. Anyone from the area hike much in mid summer with any words of wisdom? I want to make sure my gear/clothing is appropriate for a week above 4,000 ft.

Three years ago it was in the 30s on the 4th of July near Mt. Rogers. The three other times I've been there in July it's been quite warm.

d.o.c
06-12-2011, 17:04
be ready for chill and be ready for hot evrytime ive been there in the summer it was warm but not to hot and i remember the nights being nice..

Tex81
06-12-2011, 18:14
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I'd figured. I'm guessing I'll still need a three season bag for the possibility of sub 40 degree nights.