PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Tarp and Bug Inserts?

lightning
02-02-2005, 14:07
What/who do you recommend for a quality 10x10 silnylon tarp?
What/who do you recommend for a quality, liteweight bugproof inserts (preferably w/ sewn-in floor)?
I've been looking at Dancing Light's 10x10 Tarp, 19oz, 99$. (I like the bigger tarp for storm protection.)
Integral Designs (17oz, 100$) and Golite (21oz, 79$) make bugproof inserts.
I prefer this setup as opposed to tent, tarptent, hammock. To me, it seems more versatile.
Opinions re: Dancing Light, ID, Golite, and my preferences would be appreciated.

Footslogger
02-02-2005, 14:37
Take a look at the Bug Bivy from OR

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/OR208

'Slogger
AT 2003

chris
02-02-2005, 16:19
I used, and like, Dancing Light's sleep net. It is very basic: Just a sack made out of no-see-um with a draw cord. But, light, functional, and packable (no hoop).

lightning
02-02-2005, 16:23
regarding the bivy and net, did you ever find that you could have used a bug insert big enough for you to sit up in (for a thru-hike)?

Whistler
02-02-2005, 16:24
At the two extremes: The Equinox Mantis is basically a net with 1 tie-out. It would cover your torso for about 5-6oz. Oware also has a bug bivy complete with bathtub floors and about 6 tie-outs, I think for around a pound or so. I'm sure you could request a lighter floor on the Oware model.

-Mark

tlbj6142
02-02-2005, 16:42
The A16 bug bivy (Google it) is fairly light. And, I believe, www.mountainlaureldesigns.com (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com) makes a bug bivy as does www.gossamergear.com. (http://www.gossameargear.com)

Alligator
02-02-2005, 17:06
I used one of those cot mosquito nets last summer. It's rectangular, no floor, I think it weighs 4 oz. It was real cheap. I set it up in the shelter once and the rest of the time I just hung it over the entrance to my tarp which was set up tepee style. I am certain it could be hung under the tarp in different configurations, I just haven't tried it yet. Sitting up under it was no problem. Here's a link to campmor.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=7901

I am not certain it would stop noseeums, but I never see them anyway, so should I really blame them if they do get through:-? .

hungryhowie
02-02-2005, 17:31
On my thruhike I used a OR Bug Bivy. At 16oz it's a bit heavier than some bug solutions on the market, but it fit my needs very, very well. I could use it under my tarp in the rain, without the tarp on nicer nights, even in the shelter as it's only as wide as my sleeping pad. In fact, using it in a shelter was nice for a couple of reasons. Obviously, it kept the bugs and mice off (which meant that I could sleep later if I wanted to because I didn't have to deal with the bugs which seem to wake up around sunrise), but it also gave me dedicated space. It's not really any wider than a sleeping pad, so you don't feel like a spacehog (great band, by the way), but it also means that you HAVE that space. No one rolls on top of you in the middle of the night.

That said, I'd prefer sleeping in the woods than at a shelter. There isn't enough room to sit-up in the OR bug bivy, but you can easily lay down and hold a book up over your face, or roll onto your stomach and rest on your elbows while reading. Not perfect...but what is? It also has plenty of room at the head for gear...so I like to bring in my book, camera, water bladder, and a jacket.

The other thing I really like about OR's bug bivy is that it is fully enclosed and closes with a zipper. Doesn't sound that exciting, but it keeps crawlies like ticks out...which, to me, is a big deal.

I made two slight mods to mine: 1st, cut out those pad holder straps. They're great on their goretex bivies, but completely uneeded on the Bug Bivy. I think the only reason they include them are that they probably only have one one-person floor manufactured, and use it on all of the bivies. It doesn't save you more than a couple of grams in weight, but it makes it easier to put the pad in. 2nd mod - the zipper pulls are metal and jingle. I hate jingling in the woods so I broke mine off and replaced them with a bit of reflective spectra cord. Now they're perfectly quiet, and I can find my zipper when coming back from those midnight excursions.

-howie

Footslogger
02-02-2005, 20:21
On my thruhike I used a OR Bug Bivy. At 16oz it's a bit heavier than some bug solutions on the market===========================================
Just for the record ...OR lists their Bug Bivy at a pack weight of 13 oz. I weighed mine and it tipped the scales at 11 oz.

I agree with Howie though, that even with the extra few ounces it is the best bug bivy I could find. Waterproof floor so it can be used without a groundcloth if desired. Flooring is white inside and makes finding things easy at night. Comes with a sectional hoop/pole that keeps the head end up and out of the way but it doesn't have to be used and would probably drop a few ounces. Plenty of head room so that you can lay out your headlamp, journal or water bottle for access during the night.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hungryhowie
02-03-2005, 09:17
===========================================
Just for the record ...OR lists their Bug Bivy at a pack weight of 13 oz. I weighed mine and it tipped the scales at 11 oz.

Yeah, well, it's been 4 years since I weighed the thing...my pack feels lighter already :D

One other thing to add, after several hundered miles, I began to notice some wear near the end of the tube that the pole slides into. I had just been putting the end into the hole and shoving the pole through, but after noticing the wear I began feeding it through to the end without shoving it hard and it has lasted for 5 more years. Good product.

-howie

joe311ny
03-30-2005, 13:05
Last year I bought the Golite cave and nest system (the cave is a tarp and the nest is a no-seeum mesh "house" with a waterproof floor). The nest attaches under the cave via strings and hooks. While this system seemed like it'd be great...it didn't really work out too well for me. The nest is quite small unless it's pulled out to its full size...and kina tough to get into. This year I'm using a tyvek ground sheet with the tarp and I've also bought the bug bivy mentioned above...hopefully it'l be a good system.

"ME & U"
03-30-2005, 16:08
What/who do you recommend for a quality 10x10 silnylon tarp?
What/who do you recommend for a quality, liteweight bugproof inserts (preferably w/ sewn-in floor)?
I've been looking at Dancing Light's 10x10 Tarp, 19oz, 99$. (I like the bigger tarp for storm protection.)
Integral Designs (17oz, 100$) and Golite (21oz, 79$) make bugproof inserts.
I prefer this setup as opposed to tent, tarptent, hammock. To me, it seems more versatile.
Opinions re: Dancing Light, ID, Golite, and my preferences would be appreciated.Here's a cool set up. Black Diamonds Betamid. Used with an Equinox siltarp or the fly it comes with rocks.
Another suggestion might be spiders bug net under a tarp. it's big enough to tuck under your sleep bag and works great in shelters with it's one tie up point.