PDA

View Full Version : Anyone hiking with their dog?

its_all_good
06-13-2011, 00:07
I realize that this is somewhat of a touchy subject on WB, but I was just curious to know if there were any other folks thru-hiking the trail next year that would be bringing along their dog(s)?

My girlfriend and I are going to be bringing Molly and Tess along with us for what we hope will be the entire trail (the sections that dogs are allowed on at least) and would love to be able to meet some other dogs out there.

I've posted a few pictures so you could "meet" us and possibly recognize us when we're all out there. I would love to see some pictures of any other dogs that might be on the trail.

We are starting a little later than most folks (April 15) but hope to meet some good people on the trail and can't wait to be out there!

Fog Horn
06-13-2011, 08:55
I'm likely taking my dog on about half of the trail. Certain parts I'd like to keep her off of if I can find a suitable home for her while I'm out in the wilderness, but I'm planning on giving her about a thousand miles of trail time next year.

Serial 07
06-13-2011, 09:46
yup! my then 2 year old weimaraner is coming with!

its_all_good
06-13-2011, 10:49
awesome! glad to see there are gonna be at least a couple more dogs out there!

Spirit Walker
06-13-2011, 13:11
How are your dogs in heat and humidity? That thick fur may make it difficult when you get to the mid-Atlantic.

nufsaid
06-13-2011, 13:20
How are your dogs in heat and humidity? That thick fur may make it difficult when you get to the mid-Atlantic.

SW, there you go and make it all about the comfort and safety of the dogs. Party pooper.

its_all_good
06-13-2011, 13:59

Molly, the smaller Australian Shepherd mix, is pretty good in the heat, especially once she gets a hair cut. Tess, the Malamute/Husky mix is surprisingly good in the heat as well especially if she gets to soak her feet in a stream every now and then, or even better if its deep enough for a swim she loves to get out and paddle around, and yes I make sure it's not near where people fill up their water bottles. Right now we're located in Tennessee (20 mins from the Laurel Fork Gorge section of the AT) and we plan on seeing how the dogs do in the hottest part of the summer here, and depending on how they do we will plan accordingly for the trail next summer.

The fortunate thing for my girlfriend and I is that we know enough folks up and down the East coast that we can recruit for dog-sitting if the going gets tough for the dogs.

I'm not trying to get into any debates about good dog owners, or whether or not dogs should even be allowed on the trail, or whether the dogs themselves want to be on the trail (If I don't give Molly and Tess enough exercise they don't handle it well, they are definitely not couch potatoes), I was just curious to see if other folks were going to have their own dogs on the trail.

I've never taken a hike without the dogs and if they don't seem to be handling it well, depending on the situation, I either get off the trail or take a day to let them rest around the campsite. I know my dogs and I know what they can handle, I would never put them into a situation they couldn't handle and if something comes up I stop and figure out how to get them out of that situation (I've never had a problem yet).

I apologize if I came off sounding defensive Spirit Walker, but I just don't want to start a debate about anything (I've already read enough threads like that on WB), I just want to know if we'll meet any other dogs out there next summer. Thank you for your concern though. I was concerned about the heat myself and am glad that we have a chance to spend the summer in Tennessee to see how well they do before we start the trail.

trailangelbronco
06-13-2011, 15:34
I'm taking my 12 Pitbulls hiking on the entire AT, without leash.

TheRaven
06-13-2011, 20:18
My wife and I are doing a SOBO with our two Cairns. One is 8 and in great shape, the other is 13 and quite healthy. The 8yr will have a pack and be carrying about 20% of his body weight in food and dog gear which is about right if figuring what I read about Inuit pack dogs. Granted if he appears to be struggling I will drop it as needed.

A few things I'm considering;

1- Only allowing the dog to walk what they are able per day. I am packing as light as possible to allow for this. I'm figuring 20 lb pack and a 15 lb dog when he gets tired=35lbs

2- Foot protectors, one day walking is fine for bare pads...180 is another story.

3- On leash all the time, the 13yr will have a ruffwear webmaster harness for easy carrying and comfortable walking.

My biggest worry is I wish to be a good steward, and not impose on any hiker with our dogs...one of the reasons for SOBO.

Spirit Walker
06-13-2011, 23:35
No offence taken. We own a golden retriever who overheats very easily. Two miles without water on a warm day and he's puffing and panting, resting in every shade patch he can find. If it's over 80 it takes a couple of hours for him to recover in the cool of the house after just a few miles. He's okay if he can swim, but there are a lot of places where the trail is on a ridge. Seeing the picture of the dogs in front of the snow covered mountains made me wonder if you knew how hot it gets here. But if they can handle Tennessee, they should be able to handle Pennsylvania.

its_all_good
06-14-2011, 00:28
I spent most summers by the Smokies when I was growing up and am fully aware of how hot and humid it can get here in TN. I got my dogs while living in the Sierras in CA and after having spent the last few years there I'm still trying to get used to the heat here myself and it's not even the middle of the summer yet! We've had a couple days in the mid 90's already and the dogs did ok, although I did notice that Tess wasn't as interested in every squirrel she saw, haha. I expect that we'll be doing a lot of hiking earlier and later in the day with frequent rest stops in the middle during the hotter portions of next summer.

I've been talking to a few past thru-hikers that brought their dogs along (one of them during a drought year) and have gotten a lot of useful information from them. They've given me a lot of encouragement and I've gotten more excited and confident (having a back-up plan helps with the confidence) about my ability to safely bring the dogs on the trail with us.

My wife and I are doing a SOBO with our two Cairns.

looking forward to meeting you and your wife along with your two dogs on the trail at some point next summer. My girlfriend and I and our two dogs are doing a NOBO next year so look for us coming down the trail!

World-Wide
06-14-2011, 00:53
Too spoiled to rough it! Leaving him at home!! W-W

Old Hiker
06-14-2011, 07:29

Great!! Now I have to include tree-climbing skills in my physical prep! :eek: :rolleyes:

TheRaven
06-14-2011, 08:23
No offence taken. We own a golden retriever who overheats very easily. Two miles without water on a warm day and he's puffing and panting, resting in every shade patch he can find. If it's over 80 it takes a couple of hours for him to recover in the cool of the house after just a few miles. He's okay if he can swim, but there are a lot of places where the trail is on a ridge. Seeing the picture of the dogs in front of the snow covered mountains made me wonder if you knew how hot it gets here. But if they can handle Tennessee, they should be able to handle Pennsylvania.

Ever seen the Ruffwear Swamp cooler? I used similar tech on my motorbike in hot weather. All my MC safety gear in heat and humidity is a literal killer. Not sure how it would work on a fuzzy dog, but I imagine ANYthing would help

TheRaven
06-14-2011, 08:24
Great!! Now I have to include tree-climbing skills in my physical prep! :eek: :rolleyes:

I always thought it was the owners, not the dogs? :D

I have met some nice pitbulls, but hate to admit the damn stereotype still effects me.

JybbaGirl
06-14-2011, 12:43
my boyfriend and i are leaving around the same time - see you out there!

Wil
06-14-2011, 12:51
When I was young I had assumed, by now, I would have killed at least one dog on the trail in self-defense. It's amazing how many techniques you learn over the years to cope, without violence. Mainly understanding that an individual dog is usually a coward. And never, never let it slip behind you.

its_all_good
06-14-2011, 12:59

looking forward to meeting y'all out there! only about 305 days or so now, haha, can't wait!

traildust
08-14-2011, 15:46
We will be with two dogs. Yep! But we will not stay in shelters period. They both are training now to carry their own food etc. No need to fear these two, they are big babies. Love all hikers. Planned departure is later March early April. 13576

Toli
08-14-2011, 16:32

WEIMYS ROCK!!! You guys will be fine...

JybbaGirl
08-14-2011, 21:21
WEIMYS ROCK!!! You guys will be fine...

That's a great pic of yours! Weims are just so happy to be hiking - I can't wait.

Ladytrekker
08-14-2011, 23:40
2- Foot protectors, one day walking is fine for bare pads...180 is another story.

I have read several trail journals and as mentioned above in someone's reply was the biggest concern on a hike this long said you really need booties for them for parts of the hike that the paws actually wear down and give out, so protect the paws and have a great hike.

ScottP
08-15-2011, 16:19
I'll be doing some more nice sized sections next summer with my mutt.

Dumplings
12-28-2011, 18:44
Guinnea Pig(first post, hi.)http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww312/Axiom_Oddity/guinnesssnugi.jpg

stonedflea
12-28-2011, 19:19
y'all have fun! :) swayze and i started april 19th last year. we've still got unanswered miles in new enngland to finish up, so maybe we'll see y'all out there next summer! :)

P-Train
12-28-2011, 23:36
FYI

Dogs are not allowed in the Smokies. (GSMNP) APX 70 miles + on the AT. Rangers can and should fine hikers that bring their dogs. I love dogs. I REALLY love my dog like a child but that's not the place for him.

Dogs can get lost which leads hikers to get lost (or hurt) looking for them which then the authorities have to deal with. Dogs chase and get chased by animals on the trail. Don't want to get between a dog and a black bear. No one wants to step in dog pooh, especially on the AT. Dogs can cause unnecessary erosion. People don't want to be bothered by dogs on the trail or in the shelters. They can bark and be loud taking away the ambiance of the AT.

This is the law on the GSMNP and I've personally seen rangers having to deal with people and their dogs when they could have been doing something constructive.

You asked and this is my personal knowledge and opinion. :)

Leave the dogs at home.

stonedflea
12-29-2011, 02:13

Leave the dogs at home.

the OP didn't ask for anyone's opinion. they simply asked if anyone else would be bringing their dog(s).

lostinfflood
12-29-2011, 06:53
On my section hike this past summer with my Border Collie numerous thru hikers went out of their way to great and pet my pup. I always yielded the trail to them and I slept in a tent with the dog. They cause unnecessary erosion on the trail-that seems like quite a stretch. I had more "ambiance" taken away by hikers talking on cell phones in the shelters. Getting the dogs out in the woods IS th place for them. Like everything else be respectful.14687

RogueWriter
12-29-2011, 14:06
My border collie loves to hike, but he won't be coming with me this spring. He's 10 years old and after a hard day of hiking in the Arizona mountains, he gets pretty stiff. So he'll keep my bed warm while I'm gone for six months.

Don H
12-30-2011, 08:35
Thru-hiking is hard on dogs. I saw several thru-hikers with dogs early on this year but up north I saw none.
Does anyone know of a hiker with a dog that completed a thru this year?

Nick&Bruce
12-30-2011, 13:14
Bruce and I will be there! We're doing plenty of day hikes between 8-25 miles on my days off from work to prep. He loves it, too bad these are just flat FL miles!

jj2044
12-30-2011, 13:40
FYI

Dogs are not allowed in the Smokies. (GSMNP) APX 70 miles + on the AT. Rangers can and should fine hikers that bring their dogs. I love dogs. I REALLY love my dog like a child but that's not the place for him.

Dogs can get lost which leads hikers to get lost (or hurt) looking for them which then the authorities have to deal with. Dogs chase and get chased by animals on the trail. Don't want to get between a dog and a black bear. No one wants to step in dog pooh, especially on the AT. Dogs can cause unnecessary erosion. People don't want to be bothered by dogs on the trail or in the shelters. They can bark and be loud taking away the ambiance of the AT.

This is the law on the GSMNP and I've personally seen rangers having to deal with people and their dogs when they could have been doing something constructive.

Leave the dogs at home.

I love that erosion part, had to throw that in huh..... so the horses that the rangers ride dont cause any problems huh?, and they dont poop on the trail at all huh ? now the barking dog i will agree with, but almost all the rest is just BS that could be solved by a simple lease law, please learn a little before you vomit from the mounth, Thanks....oh and this is my personal knowledge and opinion

Lone Wolf
12-30-2011, 13:59
dogs cause erosion? that's the funniest and dumbest thing i've heard in a while :)

Yukon
12-30-2011, 18:49
dogs cause erosion? that's the funniest and dumbest thing i've heard in a while :)

Agreed, a pretty dumb thing to say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy of PA
01-12-2012, 16:53
I noticed the OP photos did not include collars, ID tags, Rabies tags, or leashes. All of these are required while traversing PA state game lands. Dogs chasing game can still be legally shot. The trail goes thru quite a bit of game lands in PA. Please plan accordingly.

Dudditz
01-13-2012, 13:25
Greetings; I will be bringing my 3-year old, service dog, Lakota. He is a Siberian Husky. I always keep him under control, he is my responsibility, and I take it seriously. I will have to kennel him at times, like the Smokies, Baxter State Park, etc..., but otherwise I wish to share with him the AT in its entirety. Lakota pushed me to get up and walk. I owe him my life. How could I leave him at home, or give him away? We will start in late March or early April. We will hike for 7 months, see how far we get. Lakota and I look forward to meeting you all on the AT, Peace

Two Tents
01-13-2012, 17:10
Greetings; I will be bringing my 3-year old, service dog, Lakota. He is a Siberian Husky. I always keep him under control, he is my responsibility, and I take it seriously. I will have to kennel him at times, like the Smokies, Baxter State Park, etc..

If he is a service dog for you, then he can go with you in the Smokies, Baxter ect. He isn't a pet. They can't deny access for a cane, a walker, crutches or a service dog-period. Read the laws concerning service dog access and carry on with your dog. ADA laws are federal and I'm glad we have them!

Slo-go'en
01-13-2012, 19:13
If he is a service dog for you, then he can go with you in the Smokies, Baxter ect. He isn't a pet. They can't deny access for a cane, a walker, crutches or a service dog-period. Read the laws concerning service dog access and carry on with your dog. ADA laws are federal and I'm glad we have them!

Don't be too sure about that. I just did some research and the ADA laws regrading service dogs is aimed at allowing them in buisness, offices, public transportation and housing situtations. It does not give them unfettered access to anywhere they please, there are limitations.

It might take a court case to determine if service dogs can be banned from wilderness areas, but my reading of the law implies that they can. If you take a dog into GSMNP or Baxter claiming it is a service dog, you are skatting on very thin ice. You will be evicted and fined, then it will be up to you to challenge that in court with likely very little chance of winning.

traildust
01-14-2012, 17:20
Don't take anyone's opinion for fact here on WB. Call the GSMNP folks and ask them. And don't get that opinion from some person who just answers the phone - ask to speak to the superintendent or some other official and get their name and phone number. Still, if you can make it through the Smokies without the service dog it might be a nice break for you and the dog. We used to call folks in the military who gave out opinions like lawyers s XXXhouse lawyers.

Don't be too sure about that. I just did some research and the ADA laws regrading service dogs is aimed at allowing them in buisness, offices, public transportation and housing situtations. It does not give them unfettered access to anywhere they please, there are limitations.

It might take a court case to determine if service dogs can be banned from wilderness areas, but my reading of the law implies that they can. If you take a dog into GSMNP or Baxter claiming it is a service dog, you are skatting on very thin ice. You will be evicted and fined, then it will be up to you to challenge that in court with likely very little chance of winning.

Two Tents
01-14-2012, 18:06
there are limitations.

It might take a court case to determine if service dogs can be banned from wilderness areas, but my reading of the law implies that they can. If you take a dog into GSMNP or Baxter claiming it is a service dog, you are skatting on very thin ice.

Unfortunately Slo-go'en your statement is probably true. However if it is genuinely a service dog then you probably will have a case in your favor but after a lot of hassle. Too bad that would need to come to that.

Nooga
01-22-2012, 23:30
I would urge that you to keep them on a leash. A few years ago, I was hiking from Springer and a thru hiker's dog took off on a game trail. I caught the dog but then couldn't find the owner. I left the dog with some hikers at a shelter. Not sure how it worked out.

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2012, 22:41
FYI

You asked and this is my personal knowledge and opinion. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Leave the dogs at home.

Unbelievable - someone asks about are you bringing your dog - includes photos and a great time. And every dog thread has someone spouting rules and leashes...... the only erosion on the trail is caused by humans. Most dogs I work with poo in the grass not on the trail Bears poo on the trail go figure... its more about E coli in dog poo. And the rain takes care of it all

I would urge that you to keep them on a leash. A few years ago, I was hiking from Springer and a thru hiker's dog took off on a game trail. I caught the dog but then couldn't find the owner. I left the dog with some hikers at a shelter. Not sure how it worked out.

Almost all the dog threads Choo are in the dog forum. Apparently this is posted outside of the dog forum - something I missed when I first dug into the thread - I have been here a while and when you get a chance to see the constant retoric in the dog forum - Leashes - it gets very old fast even for those that like the forum.... Its like preaching to the choir.

I was refering to this sticky http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?16259-Dog-Forum-This-is-not-a-debate-forum-Read-before-posting&p=221785&viewfull=1#post221785

Shadowalker
02-23-2012, 23:18
From A Dog Lover , My 1st. Dog Black Lab , Rottie Mix , Bo Bo , Loved the Trail , Then my son got our 1st. Pure Bread Rottie , Maxi , Loved to hike also , From ther Rescued Rotties and never had any problems with them with people or other dogs while hiking on the Trail in the Carlisle , Central Pa. area , Always had good times , I,ve seen all total 7 dogs to their final days , Currently I am without mans Best Friend and am doing a No Bo 2nd week of March , But if we cross paths , Ur Fury Friends will meet a Friend as I will always be packing Treats for them , Alot of Jerky , But one section I was on This past Fall was Palmerton Pa. To Delaware Water Gap area of Pa. and N J , Very - Very rocky , for over a 40 mile stretch with some nice areas , But alot of treacherous hiking for their Paws and crevices , Im just sharing this because as I was Hiking It , I thought wat a challenge It would have been for my Friends , Not to be an alarmist , Just had to share that , Happy Trails !! By the way , Owned and Rescued Rotties for 18 Yrs. , After my No Bo will be rescuing 2 more Rotties after 3 yrs. , Lost my home due to the resession , But making a comeback , Cheers !!

Nooga
02-24-2012, 14:10
Lets all remember that Bill Erwin hiked the AT with his service dog Orient, without whom I doubt if he would have been able to make.

KnotHere
02-24-2012, 14:44

Probably couldn't find a breed of dog more friendly to people. They are known for their aggression towards dogs due to their breeding background, but generally speaking they would lick you to death before anything else. A jerk of an owner with a Cocker Spaniel who was raised violent would produce the same aggression as a Pit or any other breed. I don't mean to come off as a pain but as a responsible Pit owner I feel like it is my duty to correct this kind of negative attitudes towards the breed.

Derek81pci
02-25-2012, 00:04
Hike your own hike. Leave the dog at home, just my opinion.

Kookork
02-25-2012, 00:22

your second sentence contradict the first one, Just my opinion.

Derek81pci
02-25-2012, 14:47
YOUR hike, not your dogs. My brothers dog cut his pad so badly that he had to carry it (a lab mix...) about 7 miles back to his car, bleeding the whole time. Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.

Derek81pci
02-25-2012, 14:48
Dog... not dong :D

Nooga
02-25-2012, 16:51
[QUOTE=Wise Old Owl;1258257]Didn't read the sticky or toss did you? Newbie.[/QUOTE

***??? This makes no sense...

Sarcasm the elf
02-25-2012, 18:37

Derek81pci; Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.

Best...typo...ever...:D:banana:banana

Kookork
02-25-2012, 21:30
YOUR hike, not your dogs. My brothers dog cut his pad so badly that he had to carry it (a lab mix...) about 7 miles back to his car, bleeding the whole time. Do what you want, just think about your reasons for taking a dong on the trail.

I am not hear to argue about taking or not taking the dogs on trails. You used HYOH but then the second sentence pops up like leave the dog at home. It just doesn't add up.

Now your reasoning is bleeding paws of your brother's dog? Sorry for that dog but my dog does not bleed . He is super fit, runs 6 miles every day after my bike and has hiked a 550 miles trail with me easily, with no bleeding or any health issue. Does it mean that every dog can do the same? NO.
But last time I checked the dogs used to be in woods naturally and humans in their houses.We took the dogs from the woods to our houses. Now dogs can't walk in the woods. Come on Man.

sailsET
02-25-2012, 21:33
OK then. That should be interesting!

Lone Wolf
02-25-2012, 22:05
Now your reasoning is bleeding paws of your brother's dog? Sorry for that dog but my dog does not bleed . He is super fit, runs 6 miles every day after my bike and has hiked a 550 miles trail with me easily, with no bleeding or any health issue. Does it mean that every dog can do the same? NO.
But last time I checked the dogs used to be in woods naturally and humans in their houses.We took the dogs from the woods to our houses. Now dogs can't walk in the woods. Come on Man.
99 of 100 dogs don't do a thru hike. too tough on them. if you hike with a dog, carry it's food and water. never put a pack on a dog. a real man carries the dog's needs

Wise Old Owl
02-25-2012, 22:06
Send photos... no wait You tubes.....

Derek81pci
02-25-2012, 22:15
The dog didn't just randomly start bleeding... it got a super nasty cut on it's paw which could have threatened it's life. Injuries happen to humans and dogs alike. I wouldn't subject something that didn't have a choice to be there, to walk around in 95+ degree temps (with a coat of fur)... or strap a pack onto it. This is a thread, I offered an opinion. Sorry you didn't like it~~

Wise Old Owl
02-25-2012, 22:20
Well Derek your post has little to do with the original intent of the thread... and I am still wondering why someone didn't wrap the foot in some gauze and a bandana - and just park for the night to give it time to heal then head back the next day... its called first aid.

Kookork
02-25-2012, 22:28
99 of 100 dogs don't do a thru hike. too tough on them. if you hike with a dog, carry it's food and water. never put a pack on a dog. a real man carries the dog's needs

I do not call myself a real man but I carry my dog's food and water with me . You can see on my YouTube videos of Bruce Trail end to end hiking. The question for me is : Can I make a thru?

Derek81pci
02-25-2012, 22:30
Original post said something about swapping dog pics and meeting other dog owners. 90% of the 3 pages of posts are off topic.

Kookork
02-25-2012, 22:34
The dog didn't just randomly start bleeding... it got a super nasty cut on it's paw which could have threatened it's life. Injuries happen to humans and dogs alike. I wouldn't subject something that didn't have a choice to be there, to walk around in 95+ degree temps (with a coat of fur)... or strap a pack onto it. This is a thread, I offered an opinion. Sorry you didn't like it~~

To be clear,I had no problem with your opinion.I had problem with your reasoning.

Derek81pci
02-25-2012, 23:39
My reasoning is logical, it's something else to worry about. We have enough of those out there with just ourselves. As I said, do what you want, you know you better than I do.

Nick&Bruce
02-28-2012, 23:08
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/429354_293326634066855_100001685612909_755553_8009 61080_n.jpg

It might be Feb, but here in FL we still need a little dip to cool off during a long day on the trail. ~20 FLAT miles with Bruce today where we saw deer, a tortoise, lots of beautiful water birds, frogs, a 10 ft gator and found a snake skin that must have belonged to a 6 footer. Good pup, good day!

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2012, 23:16

Original post said something about swapping dog pics and meeting other dog owners. 90% of the 3 pages of posts are off topic.

To be clear,I had no problem with your opinion.I had problem with your reasoning.

My reasoning is logical, it's something else to worry about. We have enough of those out there with just ourselves. As I said, do what you want, you know you better than I do.

Doesn't matter Derek - You are pissing into the wind. Where did you learn how to win friend's by irritating the hell out of people...

Nick&Bruce
02-28-2012, 23:39

That is so obvious I don't think its even worth mentioning. Do you really think that we all managed to arrange for our dogs food, shelter, warmth, etc and didn't realize it was another thing to worry about?

From talking to friend's who have attempted the journey I have learned that making a successful thru is just as much if not more so about your state of mind as it is the logistics involved with walking from point A to point B. Who better to keep your head in the right place than your best friend? Don't read into that as a selfish statement. Though I'm sure in many cases it is a selfish decision to take your dog on the trail, in a lot of cases it is a generous one.

I've read about dogs that don't make it or are worse for wear on their hikes, but a lot of dogs were born for this sort of thing. We're all aware that the majority of people in our society have adopted an easier sedentary lifestyle for themselves and put themselves in a situation where their bodies cant handle the sort of activity that it was designed for. Similarly, whether through breeding or care given, many dogs are not in any sort of shape for these sort of endeavors. However, there is that percentage that is.

Keep in mind that most dog breeds were developed as working animals from their roots as wolves which according to wikipedia travel an average of 15 miles per day. Of course they aren't wolves anymore, but to assume that its a bad decision to bring one's dog on the trail because they cant handle it is absurdly short sighted.

I purposely picked up Bruce from the shelter because he was flagged as a high energy special needs dog and I was a low energy guy just wasting away on the couch. I saw that he was a dog that needed to be pushed to be happy and healthy and I knew that taking on the care of a dog like this was no small feat but I chose to because I knew that just as I could help him, he could help me. I would take him out and he would get me off my butt.

Fast forward to today where we've been on several hikes and he is happier and healthier than ever. The vet and all my hiking buddies agree that though there are risks this is a good idea. Just as thru hiking the AT isn't for every person, is isn't for every dog; and though it is a very important and fulfilling experience for some people, it can be the same for some dogs.

Rant over.

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2012, 23:51
Nice very Nice.....

Lea13
02-29-2012, 01:02

There's a difference between taking a family pet out for a leisurely stroll in the park and and having a mutually beneficial relationship with a four-legged hiking partner.
As long as a dog is properly conditioned (just like a human) they are perfectly capable of carrying an appropriately weighted and fitted pack. Knowing what an appropriate weight is for your own dog is a matter of experience, as you should definitely have done trial trips with your dog before considering something like a thru-hike. In the event that your dog is fatigued or injured, you should absolutely be prepared to carry his/her pack as well as your own (I've had to do this for a few days on one trip) but I don't know of any practical reason why a dog can't carry a pack. My philosophy on backpacking with my dog is the same as backpacking with a friend: we are partners. I take care of all the logistics, she provides the entertainment, but we look out for each other.
In my hiking groups, everyone carries what they can, we adjust loads according to who is having good / bad day, and the slowest member always sets the pace (human or animal).

@ its_all_good
If you're near NY / PA / CT around Aug or later, you should let me know, I'd love to meet you and your dogs! I won't be attempting a thru-hike until 2013, but I'd be happy to meet you on the trail with some dog treats and hear how your hike is going :D

Kookork
02-29-2012, 01:26
That is so obvious I don't think its even worth mentioning. Do you really think that we all managed to arrange for our dogs food, shelter, warmth, etc and didn't realize it was another thing to worry about?

From talking to friend's who have attempted the journey I have learned that making a successful thru is just as much if not more so about your state of mind as it is the logistics involved with walking from point A to point B. Who better to keep your head in the right place than your best friend? Don't read into that as a selfish statement. Though I'm sure in many cases it is a selfish decision to take your dog on the trail, in a lot of cases it is a generous one.

I've read about dogs that don't make it or are worse for wear on their hikes, but a lot of dogs were born for this sort of thing. We're all aware that the majority of people in our society have adopted an easier sedentary lifestyle for themselves and put themselves in a situation where their bodies cant handle the sort of activity that it was designed for. Similarly, whether through breeding or care given, many dogs are not in any sort of shape for these sort of endeavors. However, there is that percentage that is.

Keep in mind that most dog breeds were developed as working animals from their roots as wolves which according to wikipedia travel an average of 15 miles per day. Of course they aren't wolves anymore, but to assume that its a bad decision to bring one's dog on the trail because they cant handle it is absurdly short sighted.

I purposely picked up Bruce from the shelter because he was flagged as a high energy special needs dog and I was a low energy guy just wasting away on the couch. I saw that he was a dog that needed to be pushed to be happy and healthy and I knew that taking on the care of a dog like this was no small feat but I chose to because I knew that just as I could help him, he could help me. I would take him out and he would get me off my butt.

Fast forward to today where we've been on several hikes and he is happier and healthier than ever. The vet and all my hiking buddies agree that though there are risks this is a good idea. Just as thru hiking the AT isn't for every person, is isn't for every dog; and though it is a very important and fulfilling experience for some people, it can be the same for some dogs.

Rant over.

What a great post. Thank you. Wish you and Bruce joyful hikes in the future.

Drybones
02-29-2012, 11:08
Ruger (108 lb doberman) will not be with me on the thru hike but to be honest I enjoy hiking with him more than any person I've met yet. He gets a little pushy in the morning...stands outside the tent and barks until I get up and when I'm breaking camp he goes out on the trail and stands there barking until I get going. I need the motivation though.

its_all_good
03-01-2012, 17:38
@ its_all_good
If you're near NY / PA / CT around Aug or later, you should let me know, I'd love to meet you and your dogs! I won't be attempting a thru-hike until 2013, but I'd be happy to meet you on the trail with some dog treats and hear how your hike is going :D

Hopefully we'll be there in early august, I'm sure the dogs would love to meet a friendly person, especially one that has treats for them!

On another topic, after a long internet hiatus this thread seems to have gone wildly out of control, I'm glad to see there are some folks who can read and took the time to post greetings from them and their dogs, to those who feel the need to argue, why bother? The dog forum is for those who have actual questions concerning their own dogs, you don't know their dogs and you don't know them, so don't assume that every dog owner sits around on the couch all day every day ignoring their dog. Anyway, to everyone out on the trail this summer, have a good time and we'll see you out there, with our tails wagging!

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 18:21
Hopefully we'll be there in early august, I'm sure the dogs would love to meet a friendly person, especially one that has treats for them!

On another topic, after a long internet hiatus this thread seems to have gone wildly out of control, I'm glad to see there are some folks who can read and took the time to post greetings from them and their dogs, to those who feel the need to argue, why bother? The dog forum is for those who have actual questions concerning their own dogs, you don't know their dogs and you don't know them, so don't assume that every dog owner sits around on the couch all day every day ignoring their dog. Anyway, to everyone out on the trail this summer, have a good time and we'll see you out there, with our tails wagging!+ effin 1;)

Stanzi Tsunai
03-01-2012, 22:32
15378Dandelion is too young for a thru-hike, obviously, but we plan on practicing our trail manners and doing some trail magic for the hikers along the AT a couple days this summer. Keep an eye out for Dandy in VA & NY, I'm sure she'll have extra doggy treats! :)

fadeaway
03-02-2012, 17:04
Great, I am now planning to bring my Hereford bull. Don't worry he will be tied outside the shelters.

Sarcasm the elf
03-02-2012, 20:54
Great, I am now planning to bring my Hereford bull. Don't worry he will be tied outside the shelters.

Sounds good, don't forget to bring enough steak sauce...