PDA

View Full Version : Southern pa rattlesnack alert

birchy
06-13-2011, 15:57
I wanted to caution all hikers between Calidonia State Park and Pine Grove State Park in Southern PA to be on the alert for above normal Rattlesnake activity. In the past two weeks I have encountered 7 rattlesnakes in a 3 mile stretch of the A.T. This is well above the usual.. Please use caution in this area............ MAYBE ITS TIME TO REMOVE THE NO KILL BAN...

jrwiesz
06-13-2011, 16:01
trail lunch. :eek:

HikerMom58
06-13-2011, 16:05
Thanks for the info! :)

Saffirre8
06-13-2011, 16:08
i just did that hike this weekend and i didnt see any rattles, but then again i wasnt looking for them either...

hikerboy57
06-13-2011, 16:15
I wanted to caution all hikers between Calidonia State Park and Pine Grove State Park in Southern PA to be on the alert for above normal Rattlesnake activity. In the past two weeks I have encountered 7 rattlesnakes in a 3 mile stretch of the A.T. This is well above the usual.. Please use caution in this area............ MAYBE ITS TIME TO REMOVE THE NO KILL BAN...
Before you kill them, remember how many shelter mice each one can eat, remember that they generally wont attack unless threatened, and remeber you're in their habitat, not the othr way around.7 rattlers in 3 miles?thats one for every 7 football fields.Maybe theyre avoidable?

Sarcasm the elf
06-13-2011, 16:44
Before you kill them, remember how many shelter mice each one can eat, remember that they generally wont attack unless threatened, and remeber you're in their habitat, not the othr way around.7 rattlers in 3 miles?thats one for every 7 football fields.Maybe theyre avoidable?

We only ran into one rattler between Pawling ny and DWG, PA a couple of weeks ago. My friend was nearly in striking distance before he heard the rattle ( isn't it nice of them to give us such a loud warning?) As soon as he began backing away slowly, the snake retreated.

I'll take more snakes and less mice.

CowHead
06-13-2011, 16:45
Thanks will be out there the end of june anyone know how the water is in PA thanks

10-K
06-13-2011, 16:46
Time to break out the kevlar hiking pants...

hikerboy57
06-13-2011, 17:02
Time to break out the kevlar hiking pants...
10-k those wil be great to protect you from people blindly shooting their trail guns at snakes and sticks and stuff.But is kevlar packable?

10-K
06-13-2011, 17:04
10-k those wil be great to protect you from people blindly shooting their trail guns at snakes and sticks and stuff.But is kevlar packable?

Sure, they have cuben fiber kevlar now... :)

hikerboy57
06-13-2011, 17:08
that is awesome!!

AegisIII
06-13-2011, 21:29
Wow, that's seven more rattlesnakes than I've ever seen anywhere in Michaux.

Sierra Echo
06-13-2011, 21:31
Bah hahahahhahahahhaaa I was wondering what a rattleSNACK was!

LDog
06-13-2011, 21:38

I like em deep fried extra crispy!

Del Q
06-13-2011, 21:40
Seeing a BIG rattler at Balanced Rock in Pa was one of my finest AT moments.

What, no food or GORP left?

Leave these super cool creatures alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tdoczi
06-14-2011, 00:25
i just did that hike this weekend and i didnt see any rattles, but then again i wasnt looking for them either...

i WAS looking and didnt see any!

4Bears
06-14-2011, 06:05
Rattle-Snack... hehe I like that. :D Deep fried extra crispy?? :-? HHHmmmm maybe with some shrimp cocktail sauce?? ;)

Cookerhiker
06-14-2011, 07:56
.... My friend was nearly in striking distance before he heard the rattle ( isn't it nice of them to give us such a loud warning?) As soon as he began backing away slowly, the snake retreated.....

This seems like the usual case - they avoid people, in a confrontation as long as they're not cornered, they move on.

But when I came upon one on the Allegheny Trail last year, he was almost in the middle of the Trail and wouldn't move for anything. Head up, tail up, rattling away - he didn't even move when one of the small rocks I tossed landed squarely on him (not intending to kill him, just prod him). Trailway was too narrow hemmed by thick rhododendron for us to walk around him so finally found a long-enough stick to poke him off.

hikerboy57
06-14-2011, 08:00
This seems like the usual case - they avoid people, in a confrontation as long as they're not cornered, they move on.

But when I came upon one on the Allegheny Trail last year, he was almost in the middle of the Trail and wouldn't move for anything. Head up, tail up, rattling away - he didn't even move when one of the small rocks I tossed landed squarely on him (not intending to kill him, just prod him). Trailway was too narrow hemmed by thick rhododendron for us to walk around him so finally found a long-enough stick to poke him off.
Same thing happened to me last year in Harrriman. I had considered backtracking and looping around, but it would have added 6 miles to my hike, so I just kept on throwing small sticks at him every minute or two, waited twenty minutes or so for him to finally move off.

4shot
06-14-2011, 10:36
saw two massive rattlers last year within a mile or so of each other around the shelter south of the 501 shelter. They were big and sunning themselves in the trail. They did not follow protocol, no courtesy rattles and I came uncomfortably close to both of them. took awhile for them to be moved off the trail by tossing small rocks and sticks in their direction. Was not trying to hit or injure them. for the next week or so, every branch/stick/twig I managed to move with my boots nearly caused me to jump out of my skin.

to add insult to injury, both times I scrambled backwards so fast that I tripped on one of the rare and infrequent rocks in the trail that one encounters in Pa. and ended up on my back thrashing around like a turtle that had been tipped over. Fortunately no one managed to witness that and in one case, I prevented a sobo section hiker from coming around a bend in the trail. I believe if I had not been there in that case that guy would have stepped on the snake because he was not visible from a sobo perspective.

jbwood5
06-14-2011, 10:55

It seems that once they go into defensive mode, they aren't moving. I've pitched pine cones, sticks, small rocks, and soaked them with water. It just pisses them off more.

If they are sleeping when you come by, get by quickly before they become aware of your presence. Once they are alert, the odds of getting by safely diminish. A lot of times they do come down and lay on trails that have been cut into the side of a mountain or ridge. When that happens you can't go up or down to get by them.

Buffalo Skipper
06-14-2011, 11:07
While staffing out boy scout camp back in '80, we found and killed 3 large Eastern Diamondbacks. One was 5½ ft and 15 lbs, the second was 6½ ft and 20 lbs, and the last, a pregnant female was 6 ft and 25 lbs. All 3 went to the barby! Yummy!

CowHead
06-14-2011, 12:13

fruit loops in a can:banana

emerald
06-14-2011, 13:31
Wow, that's seven more rattlesnakes than I've ever seen anywhere in Michaux.

Maybe there's a reason for the discrepancy? Consider the title, source of the information and posting history.

This thread is a strange mix of so-called humor which if it belongs here at all should be in another forum and actual information related to timber rattlesnakes. It may do more to disinform than it does to inform. Who knows what people actually learn from such threads?

The species being discussed has long been persecuted and its continued existance is uncertain. Knowledgeable people are rightfully concerned and should consider some of the posts which have been permitted offensive.

OldFeet
06-14-2011, 16:22
Thanks will be out there the end of june anyone know how the water is in PA thanks

Water in PA last week was available at all shelters between Calendonia SP and Swatara Gap though the spring at Darlington was running pretty slowly.

4Bears
06-14-2011, 18:01
Maybe there's a reason for the discrepancy? Consider the title, source of the information and posting history.

Discrepency?? The OP just simply reported what he/she saw, as a point of interest or warning. One could walk the same stretch of trail the next day and never see any. Viewing wildlife is a wonderful side bennifit of hiking in the woods, as most would agree.

This thread is a strange mix of so-called humor which if it belongs here at all should be in another forum and actual information related to timber rattlesnakes. It may do more to disinform than it does to inform. Who knows what people actually learn from such threads?

They learn what they want to learn, if they choose to learn nothing, that is their choice, albeit IMHO an unwise one. On the subject of HUMOR, lighten up please.

The species being discussed has long been persecuted and its continued existance is uncertain. Knowledgeable people are rightfully concerned and should consider some of the posts which have been permitted offensive.

Yes rattlesnakes and snakes in general have gotten a bad rap in the movies, on TV and in print. If you don't like the taking and eating of animals then that is YOUR choice. I guess we all get to rant from time to time. I have enjoyed your input in the past and most likely will in the future.

emerald
06-14-2011, 19:20
The OP just simply reported what he/she saw, as a point of interest or warning.

Since we have no way of verifying this claim, it may or may not have happened. If it did, they may have just been "coming down for the water."

They learn what they want to learn, if they choose to learn nothing, that is their choice, albeit IMHO an unwise one. On the subject of HUMOR, lighten up please.

Unless people have the knowledge necessary to evaluate what's posted, they don't know what is and isn't junk and go away confused which some find amusing.

Yes, rattlesnakes and snakes in general have gotten a bad rap in the movies, on TV and in print.

I didn't post to dispute what appears here or in print, but rather to point out what those who know the most about Timber Rattlesnake are telling us.

I suggest you read what DCNR has to say on the subject.

If you don't like the taking and eating of animals then that is YOUR choice.

I'm an omnivore and I don't know what your comment has to do with anything I posted.

I guess we all get to rant from time to time.

You just had yours and I responded to it as you did mine.

CowHead
06-14-2011, 20:42
Water in PA last week was available at all shelters between Calendonia SP and Swatara Gap though the spring at Darlington was running pretty slowly.

Thanks finishing Pa end of this month that section will be done the off to NJ/NY

CowHead
06-14-2011, 20:44

Amen to that we need snakes.
1. They eat mice
2. They give a urge to move around them
3. They tempt women into doing things they shouldn't
ok 2 out of three

AegisIII
06-14-2011, 22:00
I don't doubt that someone could see 7 rattles in Michaux over a two week period; I know they are there. But given my experience, it seems more of an anomaly than suggesting a larger population there now. And I don't see a reason to remove any bans. All the timber rattlesnakes I've seen have been quite docile, and I've been able to (unknowingly of course) stand 2-3 feet away from them for a few minutes w/o incident.

BigHodag
06-14-2011, 23:49
I got rattled at in June 2010 by a timber rattler laying in the grass along Bunker Hill Rd, just above Pine Grove State Park. There was a trail maintenance re-route and the route went down the gravel road with blackberries and honeysuckle in bloom. I was keeping to the edge to avoid being run down by good ole boys in trucks. Recommend keeping to the center of remote roads like Bunker Hill.

10-K
06-15-2011, 12:52
I do not like venomous snakes. Not even a little bit. I could go the rest of my life without seeing one and I'd be very happy.

But I wouldn't kill one unless it was slinking around my house.

Regular ol' snakes like black snake, king snakes, garter snakes have free reign anywhere they want to go except inside the house. If that happened it would get relocated.

sherrill
06-15-2011, 13:12
Rattlesnack?

Hangman
06-15-2011, 16:43
Had lunch with one last year at the Pinnicale in Pa.... I was sitting on rocks eating lunch and heard the rattle got up and looked under the rock aside of me was a big fattie. I was there for about 20 minutes. I'm thinking he was there the whole time and maybe said enough of this and shook his tail to get my attention which it did and I moved a few rocks over and watched him come out and under another rock and dissapear... its there home we are walking through their living room.

harryfred
06-15-2011, 17:33
That is the best Darlington ever runs.

harryfred
06-15-2011, 17:46
Thanks finishing Pa end of this month that section will be done the off to NJ/NY
Hey CowHead my current plan is to do DWG north as far north as I can go next year, in three weeks. Already planing on using Sasquatch to get me of the trail and headed home. I am sure he has room for two.

harryfred
06-15-2011, 18:05
I have never see a rattle snake south of the Susquehanna. While prospecting in CA in The Mojave climbing a small dome I reached my hand up heard the rattle waited till long past no more rattle pulled myself up, and got nailed. It took me several hrs to get back to my truck and home. I was very sick when I got to the hospital. IF YOU GET BIT, DON'T PANIC but do head straight for the nearest med facilities.

10-K
06-15-2011, 18:18
I have never see a rattle snake south of the Susquehanna. While prospecting in CA in The Mojave climbing a small dome I reached my hand up heard the rattle waited till long past no more rattle pulled myself up, and got nailed. It took me several hrs to get back to my truck and home. I was very sick when I got to the hospital. IF YOU GET BIT, DON'T PANIC but do head straight for the nearest med facilities.

Where (on your body) did you get bitten?

CowHead
06-15-2011, 18:48
Hey CowHead my current plan is to do DWG north as far north as I can go next year, in three weeks. Already planing on using Sasquatch to get me of the trail and headed home. I am sure he has room for two.

Got a wedding then the trail but I was thinking of Maine and the 100 mile wilderness was my plan for next year

harryfred
06-15-2011, 19:06
Where (on your body) did you get bitten?Right wrist. yeah, I know stupid all I had to do is pull my hand back.

harryfred
06-15-2011, 19:16
Got a wedding then the trail but I was thinking of Maine and the 100 mile wilderness was my plan for next year
Love to do three weeks in Maine. I just can't see the logistics Keep me in mind if that don't work out I bid my vac in Feb so Until then I am flexible.

10-K
06-15-2011, 21:02
Right wrist. yeah, I know stupid all I had to do is pull my hand back.

Did they give you an idea of what degree of envenomation you got? Did it take you long to heal?

Just trying to get an idea of how bad something like that would be ...

Wags
06-15-2011, 21:29
i wouldn't bother 10k. from what i've read every bite can vary. it can be between "no venom" to " your hand is going to fall off no matter what" venom...

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2011, 21:32

No you look for the snake and listen for the rattle....Shh:-?eez!

WingedMonkey
06-15-2011, 21:35
Making note to self: carry rattlesnake eggs in envelope gag in case of meeting 10K.

BAG "o" TRICKS
06-15-2011, 21:41

Thanks Birchy, that's exactly what many nobo's have been reporting when reaching Port Clinton. Hope to possibly meet you at AT museum festival this weekend.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2011, 21:46
I don't doubt that someone could see 7 rattles in Michaux over a two week period; I know they are there. But given my experience, it seems more of an anomaly than suggesting a larger population there now. And I don't see a reason to remove any bans. All the timber rattlesnakes I've seen have been quite docile, and I've been able to (unknowingly of course) stand 2-3 feet away from them for a few minutes w/o incident.

A very long time ago people used to get together and have town get togethers and work the mountain and kill all visable rattlers.

By now the numbers would be recovering after fifty years of knocking the hell out of them. Its all based on the mouse population.

10-K
06-15-2011, 22:24
Making note to self: carry rattlesnake eggs in envelope gag in case of meeting 10K.

haha!

I'm going to be hiking the Bartram Trail in a little over a week.

It's rocky and kinda overgrown in places. I'm betting on a sighting.

Man poisonous snakes scare the crap out of me. My Pearisburg copperhead thread is on here somewhere...

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2011, 22:43
Sounds great 10k

WingedMonkey
06-16-2011, 00:13
Not sure, but I think Florida has more types of poisonous snakes than any state. Kinda grew up with them. But they seem to run away faster than them Pa and NY snakes. Lazy damn Yankees.

:sun

Cookerhiker
06-16-2011, 07:03
Not sure, but I think Florida has more types of poisonous snakes than any state. Kinda grew up with them. But they seem to run away faster than them Pa and NY snakes. Lazy damn Yankees.

:sun

Sounds like the Florida snakes are smarter.

bigmac_in
06-16-2011, 07:08

This is the most offensive post on the whole thread. OP was just stating an observation. Lighten up SOG.

hikerboy57
06-16-2011, 07:57
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=cbb85e0e57&view=att&th=13093c32fa940e37&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=e5669a34a4c31ad_0.1.1&zw

hikerboy57
06-16-2011, 08:00
No thats not me. Heres the link to the story:http://georgiamysteries.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html

10-K
06-16-2011, 08:20
I'm moving to Maine and going to live with Mudhead....

Cookerhiker
06-16-2011, 08:44
No poisonous snakes in Ireland.

emerald
06-16-2011, 11:55
OP was just stating an observation. Lighten up.

Standard trolling protocol and a device for reopening a closed thread.

harryfred
06-16-2011, 21:39
Did they give you an idea of what degree of envenomation you got? Did it take you long to heal?

Just trying to get an idea of how bad something like that would be ...
I had to walk back to my truck may be an hour or so and drive to my house another hour. I was really sick and foggy wife took me to Victor Valley hospital they took me straight in and gave me a shot put me in a room I refused to stay over night. felt Ok the next day. I definitely got venom, how much?? It took me a couple of hours to get to a hospital I was mega queasy, hurt all over, shaky and foggy. Had one heck of a bruise at the bite mark and that ached for several days after. I went on to work two days later and was out prospecting the next weekend. I was thinking copperhead bite was much more painful and itchy but more localised not all over my body like the rattle snake.

birchy
06-17-2011, 06:24

That's precisely what it is,an anomaly. Anyone who knows anything about Rattlesnakes knows that they move in waves from a central den/dens. I simply wanted to caution people to be aware in this area. I have lived here for 18 years and have never observed that many in such a short time frame. Some people on WB want to question, ME,the info and its purpose. These are the ones unlikely to be in the woods where they can get BIT.....

birchy
06-17-2011, 06:28
Thanks Birchy, that's exactly what many nobo's have been reporting when reaching Port Clinton. Hope to possibly meet you at AT museum festival this weekend.

YOUR WELCOME at least some people appreciate information. Yes I will likely be at the ATM Festival....see U there

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2011, 20:13
No poisonous snakes in Ireland.

Yep - no snakes - bet they have a mouse problem!

laser58
07-18-2011, 22:36
Hey Birchy, was on my section (Rattlesnake Run Road to Gas Pipeline) two weeks ago and saw the first rattler here since I've been maintaining it. It was about halfway between the Tumbling Run shelters and Chimney Rocks. Rather small, ~ 2', compared to the ones up north.

Phase II

emerald
07-18-2011, 23:37
Given enough time, even a blind bird finds a worm. I would think hikers ought to expect to see one or more rattlesnakes on Rattlesnake Run Road.

Mrs Baggins
07-19-2011, 07:02
Hiked with several people up to Chimney Rocks and back in June. Saw the sign that said that the timber rattlers are protected. Told my companions "what that sign really says is that if you are bitten by a rattler I have to kill you and save the snake."

PapaSmurf
07-19-2011, 12:03
July 14th, this fella was laying on the edge of the trail couple miles North of Quarry Gap shelter. I'm guessing he was 4ft or so, but didn't have the courage to ask him to lay straight so I could measure.

Shout out to Birchy - Thanks for hauling my injured rear end off the trail. I was able to get back on and continue the flatter part of my hike after some recovery time.