PDA

View Full Version : V.T. bug season

mountainman
06-13-2011, 19:51
Are the biting insects bad in early July in Vermont?

Slo-go'en
06-13-2011, 23:09
Hard telling, not knowing. Maybe not as bad as they have been recently, but likely bad enough to be annoying. Afterbite or Stingease is a big help.

stranger
06-14-2011, 04:03
Yes, in my opinion...biting insects will still be out in decent force in early July during a typical year. I hiked leaving the MA border in mid-July and the bug were still out in force, but it depends alot on the year. I certainly wouldn't be planning to sleep in any shelters without a bugnet.

I hiked the Northville-Lake Placid Trail in late August last year and the mosquitos were still an issue, granted it's a low level route through many wet areas, but late Aug/early Sept and still plenty of bugs!

Cosmo
06-14-2011, 14:28
Yes. Mosquitoes thrive from June to September, and I've experienced them as early as April and as late as November. Blackflies are pretty much done by the time July rolls around. I don't think you will encounter either in quantities that require a head net and long sleeves.

Generally if you keep moving and don't stop for lunch in dark, damp shady areas you'll be fine. A little DEET as needed at the shelter helps keep them at bay. I bring a tent so I don't have to fight them off when I sleep.

You will encounter deer flies--very annoying, but slow and stupid. Generally only a few at a time. Wear a hat, they like to land on your head. Last season I saw a thru hiker capture and pull the wings off about a dozen of them and leave them wandering around on the picnic table at the shelter--cruel, but strangely satisfying.

Cosmo

Deadeye
06-14-2011, 17:50
Put some double-sided masking tape on top, but slightly aft of the apex, of your hat. Deer flies like to make a bunch of "test landings" before they actually bite you. It's those tests that drive you nuts and have you slapping yourself silly. Repellents don't do anything, but put some stickum on the preferred landing zone, and you'll have quite a collection by day's end. Gross, but effective.

Migrating Bird
06-14-2011, 19:26
Put some double-sided masking tape on top, but slightly aft of the apex, of your hat. Deer flies like to make a bunch of "test landings" before they actually bite you. It's those tests that drive you nuts and have you slapping yourself silly. Repellents don't do anything, but put some stickum on the preferred landing zone, and you'll have quite a collection by day's end. Gross, but effective.

I used to do basically the same thing here in W. MA. but I used a cream insect repellent on my hat for morning walks. My record was 13 in 1 hour.

Papa D
06-14-2011, 21:15
It truly varies from year to year. When I thru-hiked they were unpleasant. Last year, I end to ended the Long Trail and had almost zero bug issues - a few deer flies on Stratton Mountain - then it rained hard, then, no bugs at all. You could call the Inn at Long Trail in Killington or Eastern Mountain Sports in Manchester Center - someone at these places would probably give you a current update. One thing that you will find in Vermont this time of year though is MUD!