PDA

View Full Version : absolutely avoiding snow

orions_knight
06-13-2011, 23:15
Well Im from central GA and dont know much about snow as it is. But another thing is im prone to being the coldest guy in the room at any rate. :( lol i tend to wear my jackets and hoodies all the way through summer....i know it ridiculous. so my question is, how do i avoid snow on a NOBO thru at basically all cost? im planning for late april 2012, fast hike, maybe 4.5 months - 5 tops. thanks ahead!

Sierra Echo
06-13-2011, 23:17
Walk fast.

orions_knight
06-13-2011, 23:26
i plan to. but ya never know right? there may be no way to avoid the bitter cold, so if not, ill just sack up. haha but id rather not be in it. so i guss this is more of a luxury post than anything.

Spirit Walker
06-13-2011, 23:28
It is possible you'll run into snow in May, but it's not likely to last more than a couple of days. If you are in good shape and carrying a light load, starting at the end of April or early May, you'll get to Katahdin before it closes. Five months is plenty of time, if you manage your town time well. If you're running late, flip north and hike through the park before it closes.

orions_knight
06-13-2011, 23:32
thats big 10 4 walker. thanks.

WingedMonkey
06-13-2011, 23:40
There's a big difference in avoiding snow and avoiding cold. It can get damn cold without snow in the south all the way up to late May. And it can get damn cold in The Whites without snow as early as September.
:sun

Egads
06-14-2011, 05:45
snow isn't so bad. try it, you'll like it

bobqzzi
06-14-2011, 06:13
It can snow any day of the year in the Whites.

moytoy
06-14-2011, 07:41
A cold drizzle rain is much worse than snow and in order to avoid both just stay at home. All I'm saying is that you are going to have to get used to it or find another activity.

Blissful
06-14-2011, 07:43
If you are that cold sensitive in GA mid summer, have you been to a Dr lately?

Cookerhiker
06-14-2011, 07:46
Well Im from central GA and dont know much about snow as it is. But another thing is im prone to being the coldest guy in the room at any rate. :( lol i tend to wear my jackets and hoodies all the way through summer....i know it ridiculous. so my question is, how do i avoid snow on a NOBO thru at basically all cost? im planning for late april 2012, fast hike, maybe 4.5 months - 5 tops. thanks ahead!

As others have indicated, it sounds like your problem is more with cold than snow per se. Starting in late April, you may not experience any snow but you will have some cold nights - at least cold by your standards. And even with a fast hike, you'll have some cold temps in NH and ME.

But it's also possible that hiking day-in and day-out, your body will adapt to being outdoors w/o climate control and you'll become more tolerant.

To minimize the cold in New England and reach Katahdin before it closes, I suggest you take very few zero days.

moytoy
06-14-2011, 07:46
If you are that cold sensitive in GA mid summer, have you been to a Dr lately?
Very good point!:-?

Snowleopard
06-14-2011, 09:56
The all time record high temperature on Mt. Washington, NH, is 72F.
The record lows are June=8F, July=24F, Aug=20F. Snow has occurred in all months. You probably won't run into those temps.

I'd say learn to dress appropriately, which is less than you would think when you're hiking fast. By the time you get to NH you'll know what you need; just carry an extra layer for above treeline.

jlb2012
06-14-2011, 11:47
learn to use a hot water bottle

sbhikes
06-14-2011, 13:09
I wear a down jacket almost every day through summer living here in Santa Barbara. The cold fog chills me to the bone. But out on the trail, I warm up because I'm moving more. I can wear just a light wind-breaker and rain chaps over my hiking pants and shirt (and wearing sandals with wool socks) and be comfortable while hiking in below-freezing with 55mph wind conditions. Also, snow is warmer than rain so when it's going to precipitate on me, I hope for snow.

LIhikers
06-14-2011, 16:39
My wife and I had snow on Mt. Moosilaukee, in NH, in August so there's no sure fire way to avoid it.
Sorry :(

The Solemates
06-14-2011, 17:12
My wife and I had snow on Mt. Moosilaukee, in NH, in August so there's no sure fire way to avoid it.
Sorry :(

we have got snowed on several thousands miles south of the whites in the smokies in late august before.

ScottP
06-14-2011, 17:13
get a good, light down jacket or vest.

stranger
06-14-2011, 22:25
To answer your question...if you are really concerned about snow, and cold, then it probably makes sense to leave Springer around May 1st. Because this is a late start, this means you are in all likelyhood going to hit New England in autumn when it's cold, so you will need to flip-flop.

I would suggest leaving Springer on May 1st, hike to end of June, jump to Katahdin in early July, and hike back to the jump point. This is your best chance of avoiding 'cold', but certainly no guarantee. I've been in snow in the Whites in July before, it happens.

I don't think it's possible to do a thru and avoid all cold (unless you can comfortable average 20+ per day), or atleast chilly weather, obviously there are different opinions to what 'cold' is.

Another option would be to hike the trail over two years, and just hike from June-Aug, but personally, the heat would get to me. But I hate the heat!