PDA

View Full Version : crabtree falls

bluffhead
06-14-2011, 08:27
i searched for this and found nothing. im wondering if anyone knows a place to camp around crabtree falls, im looking for a mostly off grid place, im driving an outback so getting there is not something im worried about as long as i dont have to cross lakes to get there. or somewhat of a safe place to park around mm 330 of the blue ridge parkway, so i can hike into a campground, or hidden gems around there that hardly anyone knows, thanks for the input. i am driving from rdu on 7/23 if anyone needs a ride towards asheville.

Cookerhiker
06-14-2011, 08:40
Perhaps you're already tried this but here's a link (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110808&ttype=recarea&recid=73667&actid=70&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110360000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=null&pname=George+Washington+%26+Jefferson+National+For est+-+Crabtree+Falls+Day+Use+Area)to the George Washington National Forest website; this particular page describes the Crabtree Falls day-use area.

I don't know what the stealth camping rules are, if any. You might be able to camp in the woods nearby.

I guess you know that GWNF is in Virginia? You posted this in the NC & Tennessee" forum.

bluffhead
06-14-2011, 08:52
crabtree falls nc is in north carolina, witch is just north west of little switzerland nc

bluffhead
06-14-2011, 08:53
and 93 miles from asheville nc

Cookerhiker
06-14-2011, 08:54
Ah sorry - didn't know there were 2 Crabtree Falls near the Blue Ridge Parkway:o

Tennessee Viking
06-14-2011, 09:11
Bluffhead,
Are you looking at Crabtree Falls near Spruce Pine NC?
http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/camping-on-the-blue-ridge-parkway.htm
http://www.virtualblueridge.com/parkway/general/waterfalls.asp

There is a Crabtree Meadows campground right at Crabtree Falls.

At mm 324, there is Bear Den campground. They have car camp sites to simple/lavish cabins. Small general store.

If you want complete remoteness as you say, you will not find it along the Parkway with its traffic. NPS prohibits camping except for designated campgrounds. You will have to find areas that are more Pisgah National Forest. You can look into the MST anywhere from Beacon Heights to Linville Gorge Wilderness. There is tons of backcountry along this route.

MST suggestions:
Going west of Roseborough Road there are a number of small campsites along Gragg Prong.

At NC 181, there is the old Greentown Trail part of the MST just outside of Riphsin Ridge. Follow it down the ridge to a campsite next to Upper Creek.

Take the Memorial Highway from Linville Falls, there are some roadside sites. Very few people go past Wiseman's View. Also look at the trails around Table Rock Rec Area. Its a long dirt road drive in. Last mile is steeply paved at Outward Bound.

There is also Mt Mitchell State Park, Black Mountain Crest Trail, and Black Mountain campground.

DaleTr
06-15-2011, 07:19
As you pull out of Crabtree falls parking lot, turn right heading east on Hwy 56 (Crabtree Falls Hwy), drive approx 4 miles to where you will see a small AT parking lot on your right. Park there, walk across HWY 56 where you will immediately find a swinging bridge. Cross bridge and take a right and you will find 4-5 PERFECT camp spots right on the Tye River. I have camped there many times. Park ranger once told me they have zero problems there even though only approx 100 yrds off the road (concealed well w trees is great). You are right at the base of The Priest and have nice day hikes on the Mar Haur or up to Spy Rock or Crabtree Falls. They have posted signs of No Camping in Crabtree Meadows now as locals were abusing and hangin out leaving their trash.
You will see a few thru's and a few day hikers but more than likely wont have anyone around at night.

DaleTr
06-15-2011, 07:21
I should have read the other post prior to posting my response (need more coffee)

Cookerhiker
06-15-2011, 08:02
I should have read the other post prior to posting my response (need more coffee)

You're not the only one.;) I'm still drinking my coffee now.:)

Dogwood
06-15-2011, 12:32
Bluffhead, it sounds like Tennesse Viking and DaleTr got you covered but I'll add,
not sure how many Crabtree Falls exist, it sounds like a rather common name though, but between Rockfish Gap and Peaks of Otter there is a blue blaze off the AT proper that visits a Crabtree Falls. I added this to my AT trek and found it very scenically worthwhile. It had rained the day before I visited so the falls were flowing with decent volume. I would check on that if deciding on visiting the falls. I was told by some others visting the falls that it wasn't flowing with very much volume but I still thought it extremely worthwhile even if that was true. that It will add about 2 hrs at a leisurely pace to an AT hike. The blue blaze to the falls meanders downhill with in sight of a road in some places. You would have to check a map of the area but I'm fairly sure that road heads down to a campground, Crabtree CG with road access.

You may find some more useful tidbits of info if you do a post search for Crabtree Falls here on WB. I know the falls and Crabtree Meadows CG has been discussed on threads previously.

Cookerhiker
06-15-2011, 13:17