PDA

View Full Version : 2 Week Section Hike in the South

fishing
06-14-2011, 09:35
Hello everyone,

I have a college roommate of mine who is interested in hiking a 2 week section with me at the end of July. With this time of year in mind (extreme heat, bugs, humidity, etc.) we would like to find a section to hike.

We live in Georgia but wouldn't mind driving so far as Virginia as long as the hike is either a loop or we can hike in and back out in our 2 week time span. We are both in great shape (though not in hiking shape, it has been 3 months since we last hiked,) and want to plan for around 10mi a day.

With that said, does anyone have any suggestions in GA, NC, TN, or VA?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

P.S. the more scenic the better :)

lush242000
06-14-2011, 09:51
If you don't mind driving to Virginia, you can be in the Mount Roger's Rec area in about 6 hours. You can't go wrong with that section of the trail.

scissor
06-14-2011, 09:55
The northern section of the Benton Mackaye AT loop is around 150 miles. From Atlanta it would be an easy one stop no shuttle loop if you parked at Fontana. You are in the smokies the whole time and pretty high so lots of views. Just an idea...

Cookerhiker
06-14-2011, 09:57
Are you open to a shuttle? I know it costs more than hiking a loop or out-and-back but there are 2 of you to share expenses.

If so, I suggest hiking Hot Springs to Damascus. After leaving Hot Springs, you're mostly at high elevations i.e. relatively cooler weather except for Erwin. If you reach Damascus within your 2 weeks, you can continue on into the Grayson Highlands.

Lone Wolf lives in Damascus and has shuttled section hikers for reasonable rates. Not guaranteeing his availability but you have nothing to lose by contacting him.

fishing
06-14-2011, 13:38
The northern section of the Benton Mackaye AT loop is around 150 miles. From Atlanta it would be an easy one stop no shuttle loop if you parked at Fontana. You are in the smokies the whole time and pretty high so lots of views. Just an idea...

Wow what a catch. I'm so glad I asked you guys, this looks like exactly what we are aiming for.

Cookerhiker: Thanks also for your suggestion, however as a broke college student (and boy do I mean BROKE) I am trying to keep costs to a bare minimum.

Lucky for me I plan on thru hiking after college next year so there will be time to see it all :banana.

Thanks to all who chipped in suggestions, please feel free to keep them coming if you have a different trail for us to consider.

Mr. Bumpy
06-14-2011, 20:01
About 10 years ago I hiked Damascus to Sam's Gap in July. The elevation kept things reasonable with the bugs. The temps were hot, but not as hot as in the flat land. On any ridge line hike around here in July take an extra water bottle and fill up just about whenever you get the chance. May or June would be better, but I wouldn't be daunted to do it again in July. Mt. Rogers would also be a great place to start.