PDA

View Full Version : Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam

Ragan94
06-14-2011, 10:31
Hey I am planning on doing the hike from Clingman's Dome down to Fontana Dam for the first time. I think the entire Hike is around 32 or 34 miles, and I am going to try to hike from Clingman's down to campsite #82 (Calhoun) on the first day. I have been a hiker for a fairly long tie and have done allot with my father but he is getting older and his knees certainly aren't in perfect condition but I know he really wants to make this trip happen. We are trying to fish a good bit on Hazel Creek during this hike, which is the reason we are going all the way to #82 the fist day. I guess I am really wondering if it is a good idea to try this hike with my father, or is it going to be unsafe. We are certainly in good athletic condition, but we haven't tried something this tough in a long time. Any help would be appreciated.

jbwood5
06-14-2011, 10:42
Hey I am planning on doing the hike from Clingman's Dome down to Fontana Dam for the first time. I think the entire Hike is around 32 or 34 miles, and I am going to try to hike from Clingman's down to campsite #82 (Calhoun) on the first day. I have been a hiker for a fairly long tie and have done allot with my father but he is getting older and his knees certainly aren't in perfect condition but I know he really wants to make this trip happen. We are trying to fish a good bit on Hazel Creek during this hike, which is the reason we are going all the way to #82 the fist day. I guess I am really wondering if it is a good idea to try this hike with my father, or is it going to be unsafe. We are certainly in good athletic condition, but we haven't tried something this tough in a long time. Any help would be appreciated.

My only comment is that coming down from Clingman's Dome is a bit tough on the knees. I don't normally have knee problems but mine were aching when I did that piece last year. When you get to the bottom and hike out a bit, you can turn around and see this ribbon of a trail going up the mountain. It is kind of neat, but I had to pause a second and say to myself.... wow, I just came down that!

Ragan94
06-14-2011, 10:54
Wow, I'm sure we would have a great time doing it if we could still walk. Haha. Are there any really dangerous parts of the trail if you aren't completely stable?

jbwood5
06-14-2011, 11:02
Wow, I'm sure we would have a great time doing it if we could still walk. Haha. Are there any really dangerous parts of the trail if you aren't completely stable?

Possibly some loose rock in places, but nothing like scree that you find out West. Dangerous is a relative term and it is tough to answer that, but most of the AT is not what I would cause dangerous. Parts of New England are worst. The Dragon's tooth (especially if wet or icy) can be a bit risky. But the AT in the Smokies is not like those places at all; just a bit steep in some areas.

Ragan94
06-14-2011, 11:05
Ok, thanks. I'm pretty sure if I just make sure he stretches afterward and not try to push it too fast we should be okay.