PDA

View Full Version : flip flop anyone?

strollingalong
06-14-2011, 16:01
Thinking of starting a flip flop sometime mid-late May next year because of complications with plans. anyone else thinking of doing it? Whens the normal time to start a HF-ME / HF-GA flip flop?

Singletrack
06-14-2011, 17:15
I started April 17th.

Blissful
06-14-2011, 19:11
I saw plenty beginning their flip flops when I went through MD to HF there in May. You should have company

clowd
08-26-2011, 17:29
i'm looking to start nj to me...then nj to ga...i want to start out somewhat modestly...interested?

SawnieRobertson
08-27-2011, 10:47
Wherever I am on or about the second week of June, I will flip up to North Adams, Massachusetts, and hike north from there. I choose that week because we are asked to wait until June 1 to avoid the amount of damage that we incur by hiking their trails in so much mud. That is the general plan. From Baxter SP I will fl to North Adams and hike south from there. . . except for Pennsylvania, which I will save for the last. Still determined, Kinnickinic

birdygal
10-02-2011, 14:26
I am considering doing that route, One hiker told me the best way to get in shape without killing yourself right off the bat is start in the middle where it is easier, I would rather do it an easier way and not quit because it was too hard for an out of shape and overweight hiker

Megapixel
10-09-2011, 11:43
Thinking of starting a flip flop sometime mid-late May next year because of complications with plans. anyone else thinking of doing it? Whens the normal time to start a HF-ME / HF-GA flip flop?

I am considering doing that route, One hiker told me the best way to get in shape without killing yourself right off the bat is start in the middle where it is easier, I would rather do it an easier way and not quit because it was too hard for an out of shape and overweight hiker

I think May is a great start month for a H.F. >ME starting flip. We started last year in mid April and it was cold, rainy, and the tree cover was still bare. Keep in mind that while the section starting in question is indeed easier via elevation change, it has some rocky stretches that can be trying.

MissMagnolia
10-09-2011, 12:09
I'm looking to flip flop also, starting around April 11th. I was looking to start in Erwin or Damascus, but the HF route might be better if I can avoid some of the really hot weather and to have company. I prefer colder hiking to hot. I want to end at Springer for sure.

I'd be interested in feedback on weather along the way, and I'd also be interested in hiking with some people who are following a flip flop plan.

Miss Magnolia

Megapixel
10-09-2011, 13:05
I'm looking to flip flop also, starting around April 11th. I was looking to start in Erwin or Damascus, but the HF route might be better if I can avoid some of the really hot weather and to have company. I prefer colder hiking to hot. I want to end at Springer for sure.

I'd be interested in feedback on weather along the way, and I'd also be interested in hiking with some people who are following a flip flop plan.

Miss Magnolia

Miss Magnolia,

First off, good luck on your 2012 thru. I hope my wife and I run into you at some point as we head South from ME. Mid April from Harpers in 2011 for my wife and I was lonely outside of our own company. We did meet a few section hikers, but no thru hikers. OF course every year is different, but in April 2011 the sheer lack of sunshine, the April rains, the lack of other hikers, and the cold, spring-less days made us wish we had started either further South or later from HF. Just some food for thought.

OBXWaMi
10-09-2011, 13:51
I would rather do it an easier way and not quit because it was too hard for an out of shape and overweight hiker

I feel the same way.

I'm considering starting in HF on May 22nd or 23rd. I can't start until after my term as Lions Club president is up. New officers are installed on May 15th. I'll already be in Charlotte NC for a Lions Club Convention the following weekend so it will save me some driving.

I want to head north, but I'll stop short-- probably at Gorham NH. I want to do Maine absolute last. After NH I will wait until spring 2013 and start out from Springer and head to HF, then skip up to Maine and finish.

--Michelle

Spokes
10-09-2011, 17:10
Flip-flops are great for hikers who don't require a crescendo finish. I for one decided against it.

Oaks
04-18-2012, 04:45
I'm also planning on HP to Maine and then south from HP again. I am a little concerned that after finishing on Katahdin the fire to continue won't burn quite as brightly. Still, 1000+ miles ain't bad.

pajarito
04-19-2012, 01:35
I'm starting my hike on April 28, will do the middle section 1st, the Northern section 2nd and the southern section last. This way I can start off on the easy section and take my sweet time in completing the hike.