PDA

View Full Version : Komperdell vs. Leki

erinjoy777
06-14-2011, 19:35
On REI I notice that Komperdell poles go on sale but Leki's don't. Are Leki's "better" enough than Komperdell to pay the extra 60-70 dollars?

Enic
06-14-2011, 20:14
It may be worth it, to pay the extra cash for the Leki brand. The lifetime warranty on breakage is what sold me. Of course, if you plan on being near an REI when things break, no big deal. Take it back. Otherwise, a warranty for a lifetime against breakage, valid anywhere, seems to be the difference to me. Good luck with the decision.

Elder
06-14-2011, 20:20
Worth It!
Quality, Strength, and Design.
Leki's are the Best.

Of course, I am the Leki guy..

ever here of a Komperdell guy?

Jack Tarlin
06-14-2011, 20:21
Just one guy's opinion, but in terms of workmanship, value, and customer service in the rare event of problems or warranty issues, I don't think anyone can touch Leki. People who buy lesser or cheaper products do so at their own peril.

Red Hat
06-14-2011, 20:49
Yes!!!!!!!

4eyedbuzzard
06-14-2011, 20:54
Maybe they don't go on sale at REI, but I got a pair of approx $120 Leki Super Makalu's with cork composition grips on sale at Sierra Trading last year for $60. Even with the rebate REI sometimes isn't the best place to buy.

erinjoy777
06-14-2011, 21:25
Maybe they don't go on sale at REI, but I got a pair of approx $120 Leki Super Makalu's with cork composition grips on sale at Sierra Trading last year for $60. Even with the rebate REI sometimes isn't the best place to buy.

Thanks for the tip, they do have some on sale there!

DLANOIE
06-14-2011, 21:39
I had two pairs of Komp. carbon fiber poles break on me. I bought them at REI and returning both pairs for replacement was NO PROBLEM. Ofcourse I have since gotten Lekis at LLBean. I like both brands! The carbon fiber poles were STUPID light and my leki super malikus are pretty tough.

4shot
06-14-2011, 22:17
broke a pair of Komperdell's on my hike last year outside of Boiling Springs, Pa., replaced them with Leki's. Both from Sierra TP. Leki's got bent up a bit too but they were repaired for free by an outfitter who was a Leki dealer. The Komperdell's were good enough but if I were thinking about heavy duty or long distance hikes would go with the Leki's for the peace of mind.

JaxHiker
06-14-2011, 22:39
I'll just throw out that I'm happy with my Black Diamond's.

One
06-15-2011, 04:32
Komperdell makes REI Brand Poles. So I would assume there are some additional monies and incentives going on between them. My REI Brand Poles have taken a beating and still come back in one piece. I have not owned a set of Leki's, but it seems like everyone swears by them.

EMS is still running 20% off ALL Poles regardless of the brand (including Leki's). I took advantage of the sale and finally went to Carbon Fiber (BlackDiamond). Good Luck

Mooselook Marty
06-15-2011, 06:09
I have used Leki, Komperdell and Black Diamonds. The Komperdells have busted on me and the Black Diamonds get stuck, so you can't collapse them. The Leki's have been bombproof and thus get my vote. You can get decent buys online if you work at it.

Marty

Loneoak
06-15-2011, 07:38
Rockcreek has some on sale right now

Buffalo Skipper
06-15-2011, 08:32

Hear! Hear! Very satisified with my BD Ergo Corks!

I tried my sister's Likis on a day hike in the Spring Mountain Range (NV). Did not like the grip, but they were light and sturdy. Never held a set of Komperdells.

Ender
06-15-2011, 08:58

I have to second this. I used Leki's for years, and they are great poles. I don't regret using them at all, they served me very well. But I got a pair of Black Diamonds on sale once a couple years ago, and I have to say I don't think I'll go back to Leki's. I really like how BD poles work, the tightening mechanism is a better design IMHO, and they are cheaper.

That said, finding replacement parts is a little more difficult, so make sure you have replacement parts in your bounce box already... not every store will carry them like they do with Leki's. A little pre-planning and it won't even be an issue.

Grampie
06-15-2011, 09:06
Buy the Leki. My pair is 12 years old and are still in good shape except from all the nicks and scratches 3,000 miles of hiking will do.:sun

World-Wide
06-15-2011, 09:40
Leki's are the way to go...Hiked in Okinawa during a course of 3 years where the hills/terrain contain a lot of sharp coral/lava outcrops which really beats-up your in a hurry...not my Leki's!! W-W

World-Wide
06-15-2011, 09:41
Leki's are the way to go...Hiked in Okinawa during a course of 3 years where the hills/terrain contain a lot of sharp coral/lava outcrops which really beats-up your in a hurry...not my Leki's!! W-W
oops..."beats-up gear in a hurry"

Spokes
06-15-2011, 09:57
Leki's............. yes but only if they have compression Super Lock fittings and no crappy COR-TEC handles.

Yes, I am picky.

Blissful
06-15-2011, 10:44
I've used both. Like both. But the Lekis I use now are lighter weight. And I can get them repaired at Trail Days each year. :)

Snowleopard
06-15-2011, 16:57
I have a single komperdell pole that is 17 years old and going strong. I have a pair of Lekis that are a dozen or so years old and going strong. Parts for the Lekis seem to be easier to find at REI.