PDA

View Full Version : Need help planing

Kaipo
06-14-2011, 22:55
My 5 friends and I are trying to figure out a good section of the Appalachian trail in virginia to hike. We are all varsity athletes and have done marathons. Physically we are fit enough for the hikes I believe. Also this is not our first hike so we are not new to it. Anyways we are looking for a good 3 to 4 day section of the Appalachian Trail to hike so if you know one could you help us out. Probably anywhere between 30 to 50 miles would be good. And we would like the sections to have good campsites and scenic views thank you!

Lone Wolf
06-14-2011, 23:01
VA 603 SOBO back to Damascus. 40 miles

RevLee
06-15-2011, 09:21
Daleville at the US 220 crossing to Dragon's Tooth is another good one. It's about 34 miles and covers three great points on the trail - McAfee Knob, Tinkers Cliffs, and Dragon's Tooth. There's great parking at both ends, too.

Cookerhiker
06-15-2011, 10:15
Daleville at the US 220 crossing to Dragon's Tooth is another good one. It's about 34 miles and covers three great points on the trail - McAfee Knob, Tinkers Cliffs, and Dragon's Tooth. There's great parking at both ends, too.

+1 to this recommendation. Nice stretch and close to home for you guys. If you'd like more miles, continue on another 8 miles to Craig Creek Valley and an additonal 11-12 beyond Craig Creek to Sinking Creek Valley at Rt. 42. If you do the latter, you'll also come up the Keffer Oak, one of the larges trees in the entire AT corridor.

Blissful
06-15-2011, 10:32
Yeah I'd go with the Tinker Cliff, McAfee Knob area, though I'm sure you have already done it being from Roanoke? If so, I'd take up Lone Wolf's suggestion.

Spider
06-15-2011, 10:33
I've enjoyed all the hikes I've done in SNP. You may as well.

ScottP
06-15-2011, 11:18
Lone Wolf and RevLee both have great suggestions. IMO LW's suggestion (the grayson highlands area) is significantly more scenic, but will be a longer commute than RevLee's suggestion. Both will be fantastic hikes.