PDA

View Full Version : September Hiking Trip

atj_Hiker
06-15-2011, 12:17
Last year I hiked with my boys from Cosby Campground to Newfound Gap, met up with my 74 yr old dad & then back to Mt LeConte. The next day we went down the hill via Rainbow Falls Trail after a big rain. Needless to say, the water fall was beautiful. While at TriCorner we were woke up to a bear smelling my sons feet. (Had bear mace just in case we needed it) Now I'm officially addicted to the AT!
MY dad struggled a little bit the last stretch up the hill of LeConte so I'm trying to do an easier trip for his part. This year we plan to start at Fontana Dam early in the morning, hiking to Mollies Ridge shelter, Derrick Knob, Double Spring Gap, Mt Collins, making it a 5 day trip. I'm meeting up with my now 75 yr old dad at Clingmons Dome to hike the last stretch which is all level or down hill except for the 1/2 mile climb at Clingmons Dome.
Any opinions or advice?

chelko
06-16-2011, 10:28
The first four miles out of Fontana to Shuckstack is a good pull. Mollies Ridge to Derrick Knob will get your attention with long miles and some good climbs. The rest will be pretty easy, you should really enjoy this section.

atj_Hiker
06-16-2011, 16:25
I was originally trying to make this a 4 day hike but I was worried that it would be a bit much to handle & I wouldn't have time to smell the roses. The last day we're hiking down Road Prong Trail & getting picked up by family. Has anyone hiked 2 days from from Fontana Dam to Double Spring Gap?

Blissful
06-16-2011, 19:59
I think that's a tough section to do, personally.

chelko
06-17-2011, 09:45
Here is how I would do that stretch knowing what you have shared here.

Day 1 Fontana to campsite #113 4.5 miles. Tough pull up from the dam, don't want to do much more after driving to dam.

Day 2 Campsite # 113 to Spence Field Shelter 8.8 miles. Good climbs but not as steep.

Day 3 Spence Field to Silers Bald Shelter 11.0 miles. Should have trail legs by then great stretch with some climbs and great views.

Day 4 Silers bald to Mt Collins Shelter 7.3 miles. Short climb to Clingmans then coast to shelter. Your dad would only have a 5.4 mile day.

Day 5 Mt. Collins to pickup point via AT and Road Prong Trail 6.1 miles. Mostly down hill.

Your original route had two long days to start 8.8 and 10.3 with lots of climbing. Those two days from Fontana to Derrick Knob Shelter are tough. I would rather have my long day on day 3.

Good Luck.

atj_Hiker
06-17-2011, 14:28
My boys are teenagers playing football & basketball & I'm training for the hike so I'm not concerned about the first couple days. My youngest boy is a machine! Last year we hiked from Cosby campsite to TriCorner which was 11 miles & almost 3000ft elevation. The hike to Mollies Ridge is about the same thing, almost 3000ft & 11 miles. That will be the worst part of the trip although the second day won't be easy either. For us it's all about the AT!
I live about 500 miles away & have to get it done in 9 days including travel by car. I'm staying at Fontana Village the day before the start so we'll be able to start early in the morning. Starting the third day we'll really be able to take our time enjoying the rest of the trip.

HooKooDooKu
06-17-2011, 15:05
If you can do some serious miles and serious climbs, I'd suggest you look into a side trip to Gregory Bald. The hike from the dam to Gregory Bald (site #13) is about the same as from the dam to Mollies Ridge.

Of course it would put you 6 miles "back" from Mollies Ridge starting your 2nd day, and there isn't any shelter at #13. But the 360 degree view from the Bald overlooking Cades Cove might make it worth it.

Basically, make the trip be dam->#13->Spence Field->Silers Bald->Mount Collins.

atj_Hiker
06-17-2011, 19:37
I may consider Gregory Bald if my legs are feeling good when I get to Doe Knob. The nice thing about that hike is it's fairly level so I could cover a lot of ground. The only issue is I need to be at Double Spring for the night before I meet up with my dad at Clingmans Dome in the morning. This is something I can probably decide the last second which will depend on weather. If it's cloudy, it'll be a waste of time. It was really cloudy when we was hiking by Charlies Bunion last year so we stayed on the AT. We saw it a few years back anyways. Thanks for the suggestion!