PDA

View Full Version : alcohol stove use during stage 2 fire restrictions

Trailryder42
06-15-2011, 14:12
So, what do you do out on the trail? Use it anyway?

Rain Man
06-15-2011, 14:18
No idea without knowing what "stage 2" fire restrictions are.

Rain Man

kayak karl
06-15-2011, 14:22
Violations of these regulations is punishable as a Class B misdemeanor, by a fine of not more than $5000 for an individual or $10,000 for an organization, or imprisonment for not more than six (6) months or both.

nufsaid
06-15-2011, 14:24
So, what do you do out on the trail? Use it anyway?

Best solution is to go cold.

Trailryder42
06-15-2011, 14:29

That's what I figure.

STAGE II FIRE RESTRICTIONS PROHIBITIONS:

Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire.
Smoking.
Using fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices.
Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited.
Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.
Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Possessing or using a motor vehicle off roads on federal lands, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway.
Violating any state law, that specifically concerns burning, fires, or that which is for the purpose of preventing or restricting the spread of fire

nufsaid
06-15-2011, 14:30
No idea without knowing what "stage 2" fire restrictions are.

Rain Man

Regulations may vary by location. But here is a starting point http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/information/stage-ii-fire-restrictions/

Trailryder42
06-15-2011, 14:33
Altho, depending on area, Cooking on gas or liquid fueled stoves or grills may be permitted.

Slo-go'en
06-15-2011, 15:12
If the fire danger is that high, I think I'd stay away from that area. Not worth the risk of being incinerated.

Jonnycat
06-15-2011, 15:30
Altho, depending on area, Cooking on gas or liquid fueled stoves or grills may be permitted.

One of the restrictions I saw in place in an area I visit (Mt. Hood Wilderness) states "pressurized gas" as being allowed.

SassyWindsor
06-15-2011, 16:05
If you use a "Spark arrestor" with the stove you'll be fine, per EFFIS (Europe), USPS and USFS

Originally Posted by SassyWindsor (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1171660#post1171660)
If you use a "Spark arrestor" with the stove you'll be fine, per EFFIS (Europe), USPS and USFS.

Spark Arrestor from ZZStove Co.

I use one like this on a Titanium Zip. Made from stainless and weighs a couple oz's. I only carry it if I know theres a fire ban.

SMSP
06-15-2011, 20:25
I would definitely recommend not bringing the chain saw.

SMSP

Blissful
06-15-2011, 20:51
I have seen too much damage for alcohol stoves even in good conditions. Telltale burn circles on picnic tables, even holes burned into shelter floors. Hate to think what that could do to a forest floor.

JAK
06-15-2011, 20:58
If the fire danger is that high, I think I'd stay away from that area. Not worth the risk of being incinerated.

I would vote along these lines. I would still be prepared to cook with a fire, but not my kelly kettle or hobo stove, probably a very simple alcohol stove, and I would also be prepared to eat and drink cold. The alcohol stove would be if I seriously needed it for first aid purposes, or if where I happened to be camping was obviously super safe despite the ban, like on the very top of Mount Katahdin or something like that. But I also agree when things are tinder dry in the woods, you gotta wonder if you should even be there.

Tinker
06-15-2011, 22:24
I have seen too much damage for alcohol stoves even in good conditions. Telltale burn circles on picnic tables, even holes burned into shelter floors. Hate to think what that could do to a forest floor.
I used to make those burn circles until I decided to try cutting the bottom out of an aluminum pie plate the same size as the bottom of my cookpot and putting it under the stove. No more burn marks and I think the old supercat is a little more efficient, too.

Rocket Jones
06-16-2011, 06:10
I used to make those burn circles until I decided to try cutting the bottom out of an aluminum pie plate the same size as the bottom of my cookpot and putting it under the stove. No more burn marks and I think the old supercat is a little more efficient, too.

I do the same thing. Decided to try it because I didn't like the burn circle I left on a piece of scrap wood while testing the stove at home.

Jonnycat
06-16-2011, 08:29
Hate to think what that could do to a forest floor.

They will turn duff to smolder, which could lead to a fire. I always dig down to mineral soil, and douse the area with water immediately after using mine.