PDA

View Full Version : Favorite road crossing?!?

BlackCloud
02-02-2005, 18:19
There've been several "favorites" threads of late, & I figure'd I'd throw this random one out there. Well, not that random, b/c on a section hike in Central PA yesterday I crossed route 225, just north of the Susquehanna, & was impressed w/ this tiny little bridge that felt like a mile above the valley, as it crosses the road right at the apex of Peters mtn.

Ok, it's a stupid thread, I admit. Reply if you want..........:bse

orangebug
02-02-2005, 18:33
I suppose that you just want to demonstrate that the AT is a series of section hikes between road crossings, even if Greyhound can't run on the trailway. :rolleyes:

My favorite road crossing is Neels Gap, heading into ice cream and gear at Walasi-Yi, although US 441 at Newfound Gap is a real kick.

Footslogger
02-02-2005, 18:40
The one with the big yellow "2000" on it up in Maine. That was a memorable day !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

BlackCloud
02-02-2005, 19:08
I suppose that you just want to demonstrate that the AT is a series of section hikes between road crossings, even if Greyhound can't run on the trailway. :rolleyes:

My favorite road crossing is Neels Gap, heading into ice cream and gear at Walasi-Yi, although US 441 at Newfound Gap is a real kick.
NO not really; but I guess from a certain perspective you could see it that way....

I liked Nefound Gap too.

rickb
02-02-2005, 20:31
Footbridge over the Mass Pike. No doubt.

Are any other such overpasses so beautifully labeled with "Appalachian Trail", in such big letters, so visible at 80 MPH, inspiring untold thousands of kids in the back seat to ask up front "What's the APppalachian Trail?"

c.coyle
02-02-2005, 20:31
I suppose that you just want to demonstrate that the AT is a series of section hikes between road crossings ...

That's how I've always looked at it. That's how most people use it. That's what it's there for. :clap

orangebug
02-02-2005, 20:36
I know. I was being a bit coy with another thread and fanatic.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 20:41
Favorite road crossing? Any one that has former thru-hikers dispensing sh**loads of trail magic! You know paying back the trail filling my happy ass. :jump

rickb
02-02-2005, 21:23
"You know paying back the trail filling my happy ass."

To each his own.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 21:31
Sense of humorless Rick. :jump

Moose2001
02-02-2005, 22:06
Without a doubt....Abol Bridge. You come up out of the woods, up on the road, look down the river and there stands Katahdin. For me, it was a fantastic sight.

Kerosene
02-02-2005, 22:11
Well, this would probably be US-206 in Culver's Gap, New Jersey, four days into my first AT hike in 1973. I was craving ice cream, but the gas station next to the trail crossing only had a vending machine that I wiped out of chocolate pie. The town was 2 miles downhill, which we ended up walking roundtrip on a warm sunny day. I easily consumed a pint of vanilla at some little grocery store.

zephyr1034
02-03-2005, 02:17
Footbridge over the Mass Pike. No doubt.

Are any other such overpasses so beautifully labeled with "Appalachian Trail", in such big letters, so visible at 80 MPH, inspiring untold thousands of kids in the back seat to ask up front "What's the APppalachian Trail?"================================================== ===========
The footbridge over I-70 is so labeled, right on the crest of South Mountain. You can't miss it, unless you're one of those drivers who never notices anything except what they absolutely have to. (like my ex wife).

Not far away, the westbound lanes of US 340 have a big green sign where the trail goes under the road, just before beginning the climb up Weverton Cliffs.

Jaybird
02-03-2005, 07:48
MY FAVE RD CROSSING?

the one with a PIZZA JOINT staring @ me across the road!
hehehehehehehe! :D

TankHiker
02-03-2005, 11:14
Yeah, I liked the crossing at I-70. It was great how many people honked their horns as I hiked across. It was a bright spot to an otherwise pretty bad day for me.

-TANK

The Solemates
02-03-2005, 18:38
The one with the big yellow "2000" on it up in Maine. That was a memorable day !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

This is a dumb thread, but I'll second this vote. Although, the "2000" is white, not yellow.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 20:13
This is a dumb thread, but I'll second this vote. Although, the "2000" is white, not yellow.=============================
Oh well ...it was overcast that day and everything looked a tad dinjy. Coulda sworn it was yellow. I'll have to look back at my pictures.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Groucho
02-03-2005, 20:42
=============================
Oh well ...it was overcast that day and everything looked a tad dinjy. Coulda sworn it was yellow. I'll have to look back at my pictures.

'Slogger
AT 2003

It was once yellow. Now it is white (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5276/sort/1/cat/all/page/1). I couldn't find a picture of it when it was yellow.

The Old Fhart
02-03-2005, 20:47
Lobo has a photo of the white "2000 MI." painted on the road in the photo gallery. click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3293/sort/1/cat/528/page/2)

Groucho
02-03-2005, 21:06
Here is a photo of the 2000 mile marker when it was yellow; this picture was taken in 1999.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=228

Mouse
02-03-2005, 21:08
I think my most interesting crossing was the Pallisades Parkway. Dodging across four lanes of divided highway through heavy traffic. Just like the video game "Frogger"!

Mouse
02-03-2005, 21:16
Then there is its opposite, I-476 just south of Lehigh Gap with over 500 feet of solid rock between me and the freeway far below in the bowels of the mountain. That had to be the highest I have ever crossed above a freeway without being in an airplane!

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 23:03
I think my most interesting crossing was the Pallisades Parkway. Dodging across four lanes of divided highway through heavy traffic. Just like the video game "Frogger"!===================
That wasn't my favorite ...but it WAS memorable !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

halibut15
02-03-2005, 23:32
I'll throw up another one for Newfound Gap. Coming out of 3 days of literally flooding rains into the sun + big tourists gawking at you = memorable.

zephyr1034
02-03-2005, 23:46
I'll throw up another one for Newfound Gap. Coming out of 3 days of literally flooding rains into the sun + big tourists gawking at you = memorable.======================================== ====================
I have a funny story about Newfound Gap, vintage 1972 or so. There used to be a wooden sign on the north (trail-wise) side of the highway, right where the trail climbs the hill behind the bathrooms. It read "Mt. Kahdhin ME 18xx miles." I forget the exact number, but it was 1800 and something.

Anyway, I walk out of the woods and this ditzy woman asked me if it was 1800 feet or 1800 miles.

Tom

Patco
02-04-2005, 20:34
Number 2 (no, don't start digging a cat hole) favorite road crossing is US 16 near Sugar Grove, VA. This is the crossing at the Mt Rogers HQ and partnership shelter access (solar showers and phone to order pizza). :D

Number 1 favorite is Carver's Gap on Roan Mountain, TN. Excellent scenery, nice area.

Disclaimer: I haven't hiked but about 250 miles on the AT so there are many more roads to cross in days to come, Lord willing. :sun

Singletrack
02-04-2005, 23:37
The road crossing at Abol Bridge, and seeing the Schlitz sign on top of the store.

Teatime
02-23-2005, 06:19
Since I've only done 2 sections on the AT, totalling 115 miles, I don't have too many references for this but so far I have to say Neel's Gap. My 1st section hike was from Amicalola Falls S.P to Dick's Creek gap back in October 2003. I remember the relief I felt at finally reaching the Walasi-Yi center. I was really hurting from the descent off of Blood Mountain. When I began to hear the sound of cars and then started catching glimpes of the Walasi-Yi center, I almost wanted to cry. I was the only one at the hostel that night and one of the staff, Josh was his name, I think, drove down to meet the pizza delivery guy at a convenience store because Domino's doesn't deliver that far. Of course, I was happy to share my pizza with him. Winton Porter and the gang at Mountain Crossings are the best!:clap

dperry
02-24-2005, 14:16
I think my most interesting crossing was the Pallisades Parkway. Dodging across four lanes of divided highway through heavy traffic. Just like the video game "Frogger"!You mean this crossing is still at grade??????:eek:

rambunny
02-24-2005, 14:54
The road crossing to Inn of the Long Trail comes to mind. One they just took away which was more like Fear Factor-the s curve Peter's Mt. crossing-listen close and run like hell! Thanks for the footbridge before someone got hurt.

orangebug
02-24-2005, 16:24
Least favorite crossing was in NC at US 19E, just north of Apple Cabin Shelter. It was only 3 lanes to cross, but no sight distance and fast traffic. NY Pallisades was a cake walk in comparison.

carolinahiker
02-06-2006, 11:58
Its not a road crossing per say but Hot Springs NC is always good to see .

Stoker53
02-06-2006, 12:26
My fav is the crossing at NOC in Wesser NC. Fresh hot coffee, sherpa rice and Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia are all avail.

TJ aka Teej
02-06-2006, 12:41
Here is a photo of the 2000 mile marker when it was yellow
For a while last year it was white with a yellow stripe through it :D The AT crossing of that road is easy to find by car, it's just past the shotgunned "hikers x-ing" sign!

Cookerhiker
02-08-2006, 10:38
Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Rt. 22 in NY - you have the AT Train Station and the opportunity to take a train to NYC
Crawford Notch (Rt. 302) New Hampshire - the spectacular setting and the anticipation of ascending up to Mt. Washington and the Presidentials
Rt. 5 Vermont - King Arthur bakery is just down the road and you're about to enter Hanover with its pleasures and New Hampshire with its challenges
Rt. 94 in NJ - 100 yards to the Heaven Hill produce market with outstanding ice cream
Rt. 421 in Tennessee - a peaceful, serene setting especially on a warm spring day.

Knees
02-10-2006, 01:17
That last road walk heading to the base of Katahdin. NO MORE STUPID ROADS TO CROSS! :clap

khaynie
02-10-2006, 01:41
My opinion is subject to change, but right now Culver's Gap in NJ seems to be my favorite road crossing.

If I remember correctly, it was so hot out the day we passed through that I saw a lizard carrying a potato chip on his back across US 206. Every three feet or so he would lay it down and stand on it perhaps seeking reprieve from the hot asphalt. Then a light bulb went off in my head and I remembered precisely what a passing NOBO told us - Hike right (if your coming South) on 206 at Culver's Gap if you want some delicious Yuenglings at Gyp's Tavern. Like a moth blindly guided by the power of a 60 watt bulb, we strolled up to Gyp's and promptly ordered the Nectar of the Gods. Oh, we stayed in that AC, looked out over the lake, and drank until our ears started to tingle. Man, it was fantastic!

After we got our fill, we (the JHP) took a road trip to Whitehouse Station, NJ with Team America to hang out for a couple of days. Team America's folks, in particular Bewildered's folks, hooked us up with some fine lagers and mouth watering meals all the while chilling in their pool.

Culver's gap/US 206 seems to hold a special place in my heart.

RedneckRye
02-10-2006, 10:37
I stopped and had lunch on the bridge over the NY Thru-way while there was a traffic jam below me. Almost felt sorry for the folks sitting down there in their cars looking up at me. The Schlitz sign at Abol Bridge was also a highlight. It was drizzling the afternoon that I walked out of the wilderness and there was a rainbow that ended right at the sign. Beautiful!!

Kerosene
02-10-2006, 10:41
My opinion is subject to change, but right now Culver's Gap in NJ seems to be my favorite road crossing.Culver's Gap was my first-ever town stop on my first AT backpacking trip in April 1973. We had started at the Water Gap, and by Culver's Gap I was hallucinating about ice cream and baked potatoes (I was only 15 and hadn't developed a taste for beer yet). I don't think that Gyp's Tavern existed back then, so we headed east down the mountain for two miles to a small grocery store. I devoured a quart of vanilla ice cream on the lawn (it was a pretty warm day for early April) and could have eaten more. My two hiking buddies and I bought a big steak, a can of corn, and other fixings, hauling it all the way to Gren Andersen Shelter for dinner. Great day.

The Desperado
02-10-2006, 11:43
Well, this would probably be US-206 in Culver's Gap, New Jersey, four days into my first AT hike in 1973. I was craving ice cream, but the gas station next to the trail crossing only had a vending machine that I wiped out of chocolate pie. The town was 2 miles downhill, which we ended up walking roundtrip on a warm sunny day. I easily consumed a pint of vanilla at some little grocery store. The little grocery store was Dale's Market , it's been their for many years..great little stop!:)

The Desperado
02-10-2006, 11:46
Culvers Gap in NJ ....Nels Gap in Ga.....great rd. crossings and of course The Abol Bridge and the nice little store on the other side.

the goat
02-10-2006, 12:03
definitely the golden road!

and a swerving, wobbly hike to hurd brook after drinking pbrs @ the abol camp store.:D

Ridge
02-10-2006, 16:42
The "2000 mile" road (Long Falls Dam Rd) in Maine between Hwy 16 and US 201.

Hwy 28 leading into GSMNP at Fontana

I-91 and 10a crossing the Conn. River into New Hampshire (Hanover)

Baxter SP Rd

astrogirl
02-11-2006, 00:24
I remember a bakery and donuts at Culver's Gap in 1999. Am I nuts? I had an...encounter with the Brink Rd Shelter bear (w/3 cubs). That was the fastest I've ever moved with a pack, that section from the shelter to 206.

Favorite crossins so far: Carvers Gap, TN and Elk Garden, VA. The view up that hill at Elk Garden covered with wildflowers was just beautiful. Carvers was cold and windy but still just awesome.

neighbor dave
02-11-2006, 13:32
it's white now!! as of 8-05:clap
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9162&c=528
:welcome :sun