PDA

View Full Version : Got the Sawyer 2L squeeze, comments, set up a light system

tammons
06-15-2011, 21:36
This is based somewhat on what I have done with the Frontier Pro but I added a few more features.

IE bottle bottom, funnel top, fittings, but I have never set one up quite like this.
The Sawyer squeeze has roughly the same fittings either end.

Comments on the filter is its nice and small.
2.4oz dry, about 3 oz shaken out wet with no fittings..

The rubber washer $ucks. Next project is to cut a new washer big enough it will stay in the end. Use the factory one and you better take an extra half dozen.

Not sure how durable the bag will be as it seems a bit flimsy but the 2L bag is only 1 oz.

Pic 1 - Dirty side in the split bottle. Clean stuff on the right in a freezer bag.
Clean stuff is an extra frontier pro M/F fitting, PEX tubing and the popup drink cap.

All Contents are in Pic 2. Red caps dirty, green caps clean. FYI coke product caps dont fit.

From left to right top to bottom. 8.5 oz as shown.

2 red caps epoxied together with a hole drilled in the center.

Top and bottom of 1L bottles. The green one is from a ginger ale 1L bottle.
It just happens to fit over the water bottle.

Sawyer filter. On top dirty side (F) a cap made from the neck of a soda bottle and top of a red cap epoxied together. Bottom clean side (M) green cap epoxied to a cut off frontier pro M/F adapter. The barb points down. Another epoxied bottle neck/cap only green.

Extra frontier pro adapter.

PEX tube - 8.5gr

1/2 ounce of Chlorine - 1oz

Libman microfiber dish cloth from publex formed into a cone for a prefilter. Dries fast and weighs nothing. I also have a 1 micron Diesel polyester cone prefilter that will stand up in the funnel but heavier. Water squeezed out it weighs 1 oz

Sawyer squeeze bag.

Pic 3 - Outer container bottle top, 2 face to face red bottle caps (dirty), prefilter. Dip the water up with the outer bottle bottom and fill it up. Treat with chlorine.

Pic 4 - Uncap the filter, squeeze out the air out of the dirty bag, attach filter, Squeeze out the air of the platy and screw it on to the bottle top/frontier pro adapter. Press and filter. It filters fairly fast but takes some pressure.

Also the reason for the bottle cap/Frontier pro face to face adapter instead of 2 face to face bottlecaps is for the nozzle. With it you could just it like a gravity filter with a tube or to fill a regular bottle with a loose cap.

Pic 5 - Filter with the pop up drink adapter, spare Frontier pro M/F adapter and PEX tube to use with a PET bottle similar to a frontier pro design.

Total weight of everything excluding drinking bottles/platys etc is 8.5 oz.

If you only carry exactly what is in pic 4 and dunk the sawyer squeeze bottle to fill it and add the 1/2 oz bottle of chlorine it weighs 6 oz even.

Without the chlorine 5 oz.

Also another reason for the back to back bottle caps on the outlet of the filter is so you can back flush it without the syringe.

Pics

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z300/tammons3/Hiking%20gear/squeezechain_resize.jpg

Steep
02-20-2012, 13:05
Really like this! Put together a similar system myself based on the Squeeze, just with a little different aim (I use hydration bladders instead of water bottles). http://steepmyog.blogspot.com/2012/02/gravitysqueeze-filtrationpurification.html Thinking about making a writeup here.

colorado_rob
08-30-2012, 01:45
Love it! Thanks for the great ideas. I've been using the SS for a few trips, had a few issues, these tips will help a ton. Nice!

Darwin13
09-13-2012, 10:15
Wat is happening in this setup?? What is for what? How does it work and when the hell did all these technical terms come about? PEX?

tammons
09-13-2012, 10:22
It works.

frontier pro M/F fitting = That is the male female fitting of of a frontier pro water filter.

PEX = hard plastic water supply tubing you can buy from Home Depot.

Darwin13
09-18-2012, 11:15
Is the chlorine even necessary if you are filtering the water? Especially on the AT?

tammons
09-18-2012, 11:36
Probably not since it filters all the big bad stuff. Does not catch several tiny bacterias or viruses.

The only thing that would have me concerned is if you have to collect water from a dirty source, and more specifically visited by wild hogs.
This sawyer will not catch viruses and several very tiny bacterias, but there are only a few of them.
That and maybe cross contamination.

The Sawyer should catch Ecoli which can be spread by Hogs since the diam is .5 micron and the sawyer filter is .1 microns.
Hogs were what caused the Spinach Ecoli problems about 6-8 years ago.

In other countries Hep is a problem in ground water sources, and I did read a while back it is moving into (or was it towards) the USA, through Mexico.
Nothing to do with the AT though.

Sawyer does make a .02 micron filter, but not sure how it would flow. Never tried one but it catches everything.

kafer4life
01-20-2013, 13:17
Sawyer does make a .02 micron filter, but not sure how it would flow. Never tried one but it catches everything.[/QUOTE]

I run the Sawyer .02 micron with a platy 1.8l dirty bag and a Source 3l (one of their tactical models, shorter and wide with a bit inside that keeps it from bulging when full). It flows great, we are a family of 4 and I fill every bottle with no issues.

kafer4life
01-20-2013, 13:41
I run the Sawyer .02 micron with a platy 1.8l dirty bag and a Source 3l

Forgot to add weight, source bladder, line, and valve weigh 6.7 oz, the sawer .02 platy set up weigh 10.4 oz. total 17.1. I have been planning (forum lurking) for a lighter system almost exactly like the OP. would like to hear some long term results if anyone has some.

tarjav83
03-11-2013, 13:28
Whats does Platy mean?

treesloth
03-11-2013, 13:35
Whats does Platy mean?

Shorter way of saying Platypus.

tarjav83
03-11-2013, 14:33
Shorter way of saying Platypus.

Thanks. Ill assume thats the same as bladder?

tammons
03-11-2013, 14:54
Yep, its basically a pressurized bladder.

Some people use them to force filtered water into an internal bladder.
I have a day pack set up like that and spliced into the drink line.

Only issue I have with them is the entire rig is e a bit heavy.

writeronthestorm
04-23-2013, 19:04
I just bought one of these. Have been using it for a couple trips now. My problem is that I cant get water into the damn bags. I guess its because all the water sources down here in the desert are shallow and slow moving. Any tips for that?

capehiker
04-23-2013, 20:03
Just like many other reviews my Sawyer bladders blew a seam well before they should've and I followed their handling guidelines. I purchased a few Evernew bladders from Antigravity Gear and find them far superior. The Sawyer filter threads easily onto them. Sawyer: buy for the filter not for the bladder.

Donde
04-23-2013, 21:13
I am still failing to understand the advantage of the squeeze over a Sawyer in-line?

tammons
04-23-2013, 21:50
I just bought one of these. Have been using it for a couple trips now. My problem is that I cant get water into the damn bags. I guess its because all the water sources down here in the desert are shallow and slow moving. Any tips for that?

Take two 1L soda bottles. Cant remember which two brands but one of them will stuff into another. Use the bottom of one, top of another.
Use the top section as a funnel, bottom as a dipper.

Deacon
04-24-2013, 20:36
I am still failing to understand the advantage of the squeeze over a Sawyer in-line?

It's basically the same filter, except the type of connections on either end of the filter are different, depending on how you want to handle your filtering process.

The in-line has hose barbs on each end, while the squeeze had threaded connectors. Go to the REI website. They have the best photos of each.

Donde
04-25-2013, 04:48
Tracking on that, I just get the idea that I can squeeze my in-line but not in-line a squeeze (also the bladder issues). So unless I am missing something, why would one go with the squeeze over the in-line?

Deacon
04-25-2013, 05:17
With a squeeze you would likely not be carrying a bladder, just bottles. The squeeze also has a pull spout (on/off) you can fill bottles or just drink directly from the spout.

SOLcreature
05-29-2013, 13:48
It's basically the same filter, except the type of connections on either end of the filter are different, depending on how you want to handle your filtering process.

The in-line has hose barbs on each end, while the squeeze had threaded connectors. Go to the REI website. They have the best photos of each.

My squeeze came with the screw-in attachment to connect it to the hose of a bladder, thus making it also an in-line filter. It's really all in your preference; do you want a squeeze and inline, or just the inline filter? I am not sure of the weight difference.