PDA

View Full Version : 3 white blazes; 1 tree!

BlackCloud
02-02-2005, 19:06
So, I'm out on this day hike in Central PA, just north of the Susquehanna on Peters Mtn, when I spy a turn in the AT. It wasn't the turn itself that attracted my attention so much as it was the three blazes on the same tree that kind of startled me.

The three blazes were placed in a pyramid fashion, with the bottom blaze tilted in the direction of the turn, like one sometimes sees on a double blazed tree.

Now, I am well apprised of the controversy concerning the titled and/or raised blazes on double blazed trees, but this came as a shock. Will someone please inform.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2005, 20:25
Overzealous maintainer?

SGT Rock
02-02-2005, 21:04
It is aliens, they are starting a new pyramid on the trail.

smokymtnsteve
02-02-2005, 21:07
It is aliens, they are starting a new pyramid on the trail.

no we aren't...but could I interest U in some AMWAY products? :jump

c.coyle
02-02-2005, 21:21
So, I'm out on this day hike in Central PA, just north of the Susquehanna on Peters Mtn, when I spy a turn in the AT. It wasn't the turn itself that attracted my attention so much as it was the three blazes on the same tree that kind of startled me.

The three blazes were placed in a pyramid fashion, with the bottom blaze tilted in the direction of the turn, like one sometimes sees on a double blazed tree.

Three blazes, and tilted? Would you maybe have been coming from the Doyle? :D

Rocks 'n Roots
02-02-2005, 22:52
Maintainer screw up.

In blaze symbols three blazes close to each other means termination of trail.

The maintainer in this section probably painted a double turn blaze and left the remaining single one for when he returned with a scraper...

Or he's an incompetent freestyling like some newbies do...

BlackCloud
02-02-2005, 23:20
Maintainer screw up.

In blaze symbols three blazes close to each other means termination of trail.

The maintainer in this section probably painted a double turn blaze and left the remaining single one for when he returned with a scraper...

Or he's an incompetent freestyling like some newbies do...I've hiked quite abit - but never have I even heard of the three blaze = end of trail deal. Interesting.

I must discount the scraper idea however, as all old blazes on the mtn had been recently painted brown.