PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Question

nicksmith75
06-16-2011, 09:56
Planning a section hike. Looking for best options for transportation. Thinking of driving to trailhead at Springer and storing car. Hiking for about 5 days and then returning to car. What is the best way to get transportation back to vehicle...if I get 80-100 miles north of Springer?

Blissful
06-16-2011, 10:25
http://www.atsurvivordave.com/

ATSeamstress
06-16-2011, 10:49
What works best for me is to leave my vehicle at the end point and get shuttled at the start of the trip. It's easier to arrange a shuttle in advance for day 1 because you know the exact date/time you'll be there. Then your trip can be flexible. If you get ahead of or behind schedule, no worries. Your car is there waiting. I also leave wet wipes or a gallon of water plus clean clothes and sandals in the car so I can clean up before hitting the road.

Another advantage is that, many times, your shuttler will be very knowledgeable about the section you are about to hike and will provide you with valuable information about the trail or resupply stops.

I still carry a cell phone and some numbers from the ATC shuttler list for emergency purposes.

strollingalong
06-16-2011, 14:10
Coming from the northeast - DC. Arriving purely by public transport and cheap shuttles/hitching?

strollingalong
06-16-2011, 14:10
aghhh.... sorry! I was supposed to start a new thread, didn't mean to hijack!

LIhikers
06-16-2011, 17:22
ATragamuffin is spot on with advice.
My wife and I have been doing it that way for 10 years now with good results.

EJC
06-29-2011, 16:00
ATragamuffin is spot on with advice.
My wife and I have been doing it that way for 10 years now with good results.

Agreed. Just make sure you locate the trail in relationship to where you parked... had that problem a few days ago, oops. Shuttle drivers often know a lot of info about the area and will give you tips on trail conditions, shelters, other hikers, hostels, services, etc. Being shuttled to your start point prevents having to wait for a shuttle (which may or may not be on time or you may or may not be on time) to pick you up. It's nice to be able to drive away at your leisure.