PDA

View Full Version : Gear list for a section hike - any comments?

UpTheDubs
06-16-2011, 12:48
I'm section hiking for two weeks in June/July in NH. Total weight at the moment (not including food & water) is 430 oz/26.3 lbs. I need to add a guide book, trekking poles and pot or metal mug. Anyone have any other suggestions on the list below?

A couple of questions to go along with it:

1. What's the temperature in the mountains in NH in the end of June? I can either bring a down sleeping bag (50 oz) or a synthetic one (34 oz). The synthetic bag is comfort rated for 55F, survival rated for 32F.

2. Gators? Should I add them or not?

3. What length of rope should I bring to hang the food?

*Clothes*
base layer - tights
base layer - top
sports bras (2)
underwear (2)
3/4 length pants
shorts
t-shirts (2)
sweatshirt
raincoat
camp sandals
socks (3 pairs)
hat

*Utility Bag*
headlamp
mosquito headnet
bug spray (w/ duct tape around bottle)
lighter
stove

*Emergency/First Aid*
compass
emergency blanket
triangular bandage
gauze
tweezers
ibuprophin
polysporin
whistle
safety pins
mirror

*Toiletries*
toothbrush
comb
floss
soap (Doc Bonner's)
sunblock
conditioner
nail clippers
earplugs
sewing needle
hair elastic

*Gear*
tent body & fly
tent poles/pegs
sleeping bag
thermarest (3/4 length)
groundsheet
rope
knife
water filter
cotton bandanna
water bag (2L)
pack
pack cover/plastic bag

*Other*
phone
toilet paper
hand sanitizer
camera (w/ case)
pepper spray
phone charger
passport
money/ID/credit card

I know a lot of you are going to tell me I don't need the conditioner, sunblock or pepper spray. I have really fair skin and long curly hair, so unless I want to come home burnt to a crisp and with dreadlocks (not really my thing) the first two are essential. Carrying the pepper spray is for my mom's sake.

Any comments are great! Thanks a million!

Feral Bill
06-16-2011, 13:17
You want the warmer sleeping bag. It could be below freezing at night. Having a nice warm bag will give you a refuge when you get thoroughly wet hiking and get to camp.

I'll let others address clothes and hair care.

FB

makincaid
06-16-2011, 13:44
I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard coconut oil works well as a conditioner. If you have any extra, you could add it to your dinner for extra calories.

Emergency blanket?

jbsbestfan
06-16-2011, 13:49
I have not been lucky enough to section hike any of the new england area, so I guess I can't say for sure, but are base layers needed in June/July?

I would definitely forget the gaitors, emergency blanket, and compass. I have only sectioned out about 200 miles, but I have not used or needed a compass yet. I would also ditch the phone charger (keep it off during the day) and passport.

Don't forget to add some fuel for your stove, and if it does get cold at night up there, I would definitely have a beanie for sleeping. Definitely not needed here in the summer months, even at 6000 feet.

UpTheDubs
06-16-2011, 15:00
Thanks for the tips so far. I'll stick with the warmer sleeping bag.

The emergency blanket is just one of those silver foil things (2 oz.) but if you think it is unnecessary weight, I'll leave it behind (I'll leave the compass as well - I wasn't sure if it was just one of those things that was 'good to have').

Thanks again!

Cookerhiker
06-16-2011, 15:23
2. Gators? Should I add them or not?

I think it would be rather cold in VT & NH for gators who are more accustomed to a tropical climate, plus of course they're rather heavy. Now you might want to bring gaiters for the fabled New England mud.

Sorry, I could't resist:p

UpTheDubs
06-16-2011, 15:52
oops! gators... gaiters... small but important difference! hehe :p

Cookerhiker
06-16-2011, 15:59
I.... I would also ditch the phone charger (keep it off during the day) and passport.

Don't forget to add some fuel for your stove, and if it does get cold at night up there, I would definitely have a beanie for sleeping. Definitely not needed here in the summer months, even at 6000 feet.

Keep in mind, the OP hails from Ireland and will thus have his/her passport. Stove fuel must be purchased in the US - can't bring it on the plane.

ScottP
06-16-2011, 16:08
you're carrying more than I'd be comfortable with

gaiters are personal preference. I don't like them, many do.

You probably have far too many clothes.

I'd want more water storage--a few gatorade bottles should do.

enjoy your hike

LIhikers
06-16-2011, 18:28
.......I'll leave it behind (I'll leave the compass as well - I wasn't sure if it was just one of those things that was 'good to have').

Thanks again!

If you don't have a compass make sure you get a good set of maps that show local trail names. Signs along the AT, in that area, often carry the local name instead of Appalachian Trail.

Spokes
06-16-2011, 18:36
Section or thru this gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) is all you need to know. Add trash compactor bag as a liner and you're good to go.

Tried and true.

LIhikers
06-16-2011, 18:40
No need for shorts if you are wearing the pants.
Forget the pepper spray. Tell mom it's not allowed on the plane.
Triangular bandage? If you can"t stop the bleeding with gauze and duct tape......
Headnet....naw, leave it out
Sweatshirt? you mean a regular cotton sweatshirt? Just use your base layer top instead.
Conditioner? If that's for after the hike just get some when you need it.
You might want to add some rain pants. They work well to block the wind, which can be considerable in the mountains, as well as rain.

Have a great hike!

grayfox
06-16-2011, 19:40
I'm section hiking for two weeks in June/July in NH. Total weight at the moment (not including food & water) is 430 oz/26.3 lbs. I need to add a guide book, trekking poles and pot or metal mug. Anyone have any other suggestions on the list below?

A couple of questions to go along with it:

1. What's the temperature in the mountains in NH in the end of June? I can either bring a down sleeping bag (50 oz) or a synthetic one (34 oz). The synthetic bag is comfort rated for 55F, survival rated for 32F.

2. Gators? Should I add them or not? LIGHT SUMMER TYPE OK, NOT TALL WINTER STYLE

3. What length of rope should I bring to hang the food? 50 FEET OF LIGHT LINE LIKE KELTY TRIPTEASE OR PARACORD

*Clothes* NOT COTTON ANYTHING EXCEPT MAYBE ONE TEE
base layer - tights
base layer - top
sports bras (2)
underwear (2)
3/4 length pants
shorts
t-shirts (2)
sweatshirt FLEECE JACKET WITH HOOD AS INSULATION LAYER UNDER JACKET
raincoat
camp sandals
socks (3 pairs)
hat CAP WITH BRIM AND KNIT CAP FOR SLEEPING

*Utility Bag*
headlamp
mosquito headnet BRING THIS
bug spray (w/ duct tape around bottle) IF SPRAY LEAKS ON TAPE--NOT GOOD
lighter
stove

*Emergency/First Aid*
compass SMALL BUTTON IS GOOD--LARGE IS OVERKILL
emergency blanket BRING THIS--UNOPENED PACKAGE IS STERIL--USEFUL FOR MANY REASONS
triangular bandage A BANDANA WILL BE OK UNLESS YOU EXPECT ANKLE TROUBLE
gauze KEEP IT DRY AND SMALL
tweezers
ibuprophin
polysporin
whistle
safety pins
mirror

*Toiletries*
toothbrush
comb
floss
soap (Doc Bonner's)
sunblock
conditioner
nail clippers
earplugs
sewing needle THREAD WITH LENGTH OF DARK OR LIGHT COLOR
hair elastic CONSIDER HAVING BRAIDS

*Gear*
tent body & fly OK IF LIGHT AND SMALL OR SHARED WEIGHT WITH FRIEND--OTHERWISE CONSIDER A TARP
tent poles/pegs
sleeping bag GO WITH THE DOWN
thermarest (3/4 length)
groundsheet PROBABLY OVERKILL IF YOU HAVE A TENT
rope SOME SHORT BITS AND BEAR BAG PIECE
knife SMALL SWISS ARMY CLASSIC IS ALL YOU NEED
water filter MANY USE AQUA MIRA
cotton bandanna BRING TWO
water bag (2L) ALSO PICK UP SMALL PLASTIC BOTTLE WITH SODA OR JUICE PURCHASE
pack
pack cover/plastic bag

*Other*
phone
toilet paper
hand sanitizer
camera (w/ case)
pepper spray A SMALL ONE MIGHT SERVE FOR PEACE OF MIND BUT PROBABLY NOT NEEDED
phone charger
passport GET A WATERPROOF BAG FOR IT
money/ID/credit card

I know a lot of you are going to tell me I don't need the conditioner, sunblock or pepper spray. I have really fair skin and long curly hair, so unless I want to come home burnt to a crisp and with dreadlocks (not really my thing) the first two are essential. Carrying the pepper spray is for my mom's sake.

Any comments are great! Thanks a million!

Have a great hike--hope this helps, grayfox