PDA

View Full Version : getting to damascus

strollingalong
06-16-2011, 14:12
Hey guys, what would be the best way to arrive in damascus via public transport from Wash DC? Could get cheap shuttles/hitch... but want to get as close as possible in public transport.

thanks!

flyingturtle
06-16-2011, 14:17
I know there is a greyhound bus station that is in Marion, Virginia and then it is about a 5 mile hitch up VA 16 to the trail, which is about 60 trail miles north of Damascus.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2011, 14:22
Hey guys, what would be the best way to arrive in damascus via public transport from Wash DC? Could get cheap shuttles/hitch... but want to get as close as possible in public transport.

thanks!

Greyhound to Marion, Va. then it's 30 miles to Damascus. i do shuttles. PM me if you want one

Slo-go'en
06-16-2011, 17:51
Couple of years ago, I took the bus to Marion, hiked south and picked up old Iron Mt trail and Creeper trail, which gets you into Damascus in 2 nights/3days, then turned around and headed back north on the AT.

strollingalong
06-16-2011, 20:58
Thing is I'm going to aim to reach Damascus in 42 days then i need to leave the trail and rejoin at that point. Maybe I could push even more to reach marion to get off.... that seems a bit extreme though, I'm in no rush