PDA

View Full Version : I have to find a way to get back out there

skooch
06-16-2011, 17:45
Some advice on where to fly into to do smoother VA section. I went from Springer to Neels' Gap and it kicked my butt. Where to fly into and stay and transportation to a trailhead? Ga ups and downs were too much for me but I can't sit home all summer.

Cookerhiker
06-16-2011, 17:52
Some advice on where to fly into to do smoother VA section. I went from Springer to Neels' Gap and it kicked my butt. Where to fly into and stay and transportation to a trailhead? Ga ups and downs were too much for me but I can't sit home all summer.

Probably Shenandoah National Park - fly to DC and take AMTRAK to Charlottesville, get shuttle to Rockfish Gap, start hiking north. If you make it to Harpers Ferry (50 miles beyond SNP), take train back into DC. If you want to continue, Duncannon is another 123 miles north - mostly easy hiking although there are a few rocky stretches. from Duncannon, you can get a shuttle to Harrisburg and bus back to DC.

There are some ups and downs in SNP but the grading is forgivable; in general, the trail is easier than GA which is 90% up-and-down.

SawnieRobertson
06-16-2011, 17:53
Are you saying that you are hoping to hike in Virginia this summer? It is going to get pretty darn hot very darn soon. (groaning) I would fly to DC, catch AMTRAK to Harpers Ferry, and then hike south at least through the Shenandoah. I'd do it soon though while there is water a-plenty.--Kinnickinic

kayak karl
06-16-2011, 18:06
you could fly into DC and take train to Harpers Ferry and then hike south. edit LOL i type too slow.

max patch
06-16-2011, 18:11
Anyone here hike the C&O Canal Trail near DC? That would "seem" to be the answer to the OPs question.

ScottP
06-16-2011, 18:11
you could fly into DC and take train to Harpers Ferry and then hike south. edit LOL i type too slow.

I'd probably do that as well, given what you're looking for.

Blissful
06-16-2011, 19:36
Rockfish Gap to Front Royal (Shenandoah NP). You can fly into Charlottesville airport and shuttle to there. Heading south from Harper's Ferry as some suggested you have the rollercoaster and assortment of rocks. I could take you to Waynesboro from the airport, but I won't be back until August. Heck I'd even do a few nights with you.

I'd also look through your pack again and omit anything you don't need.

general
06-16-2011, 19:40
really? georgia handed it to you once? the world hands you your azz sometimes anyway. buck up. hike where you want. cut your mileage down to something manageable, and get on with it.

general
06-16-2011, 19:42
i hike in georgia year round, all the freakin' time. i ain't got no sympathy. it's been nice the last couple of days.

Cookerhiker
06-16-2011, 20:49
Anyone here hike the C&O Canal Trail near DC? That would "seem" to be the answer to the OPs question.

I'm a big C&O fan, but....

While the OP wanted a break from the up & down, I'm guesing she wants more of a challenge than the ultraflat C&O Canal. It's nice for cycling or short walks or for X-country skiing when conditions permit but not ideal for backpacking. It's also hot & humid for the time she's hiking.