PDA

View Full Version : CDT New Mexico Section hike.

rowdy
06-16-2011, 19:54
I'm mulling over a section hike next spring to tide me over for a while. Not going to be able to buy guides or maps for a week or two, but I'm craving input. So:

If you were planning an April 2012 section hike, which trail head would you choose? I'm thinking of the CDTA's "official" route up to Lordsburg. Does anyone have trail mileage from the Crazy Cook trail head to Lordrsburg or maybe Silver City?

Any other information, ideas, tips anyone would like to share about this section?

Thanks,
Rowdy

Dogwood
06-16-2011, 21:15
Uh oh! It made my brain ache considering the pros/cons to the different CDT NM routes and weighing different, sometimes contradictory, opinions. I teetered back and forth last yr with regards to the CDT route through.

Dogwood
06-16-2011, 21:23
water and resupply logistics, scenery, private land crossing issues, lack of tread on some parts of the different routes, logistics of getting to the "offical" Crazy Cook CDT southern terminus, ease of getting to Deming via Amtrak or Greyhound and then starting at Columbus, using the CDTA or CDTS trail materials, blah blah blah

Here's what I did. Prioritize! Determine what matters most FOR YOU AND YOUR HIKE. Make your decision based on those things!

Ther's some good beta at SpirtWalker's and Mag's CDT prep sites!

rowdy
06-16-2011, 21:23
Uh oh! It made my brain ache considering the pros/cons to the different CDT NM routes and weighing different, sometimes contradictory, opinions. I teetered back and forth last yr with regards to the CDT route through.

lol, Okay, what route did you choose, and what did you like/dislike about it? And if you had 12-20 days to play with, how far would you consider going?

Dogwood
06-16-2011, 21:51
You had to ask?

I was initially starting in April doing a NOBO CDT thru. Was going to start at Columbus. Traveling solo via public transportation from Hawaii to that TH was logistically simpler. The Wolf route sounded more scenic too which is something I prioritize on my thrus. Portions of new tread on the official NM route wasn't built yet or I wasn't aware of its existence. Heard Wolf's route required less road walking which IS NOT what I want to do on a thru! Wolf puts out a very good pocket sized guide for NM for his route. I like his trail descriptions and comments! One month before starting found I had to put the CDT on the back burner for two months which meant a flip. Started SOBO from Waterton on June 25 planning a thru. Found out about the new NM CDT tread on the official route and heard some good things about it. Gave that route greater consideration but was still waffling. Had to get off the CDT going SOBO at Leadville CO for MORE unexpected work committments that got pushed forward. Now, this July I'll jump back on the CDT SOBO at Leadville and head to 75 % sure, Columbus! I would like to be done with the CDT for the ALDHA West meeting.

I'm the kind of thru-hiker who NEVER gets enough hiking experience. I inevitably, virtually on every thru, ADD to the length of the initally planned hike by adding on MORE trail mileage! I WILL spend additional hiking time while on the CDT in NM hiking around El Mapais and the Gila Rivers and hiking to some Native Indian sites.

You should print out all of Ley's different routes to see what YOU WANT for YOUR HIKE.

rowdy
06-17-2011, 00:14
You had to ask?

I was initially starting in April doing a NOBO CDT thru. Was going to start at Columbus. Traveling solo via public transportation from Hawaii to that TH was logistically simpler. The Wolf route sounded more scenic too which is something I prioritize on my thrus. Portions of new tread on the official NM route wasn't built yet or I wasn't aware of its existence. Heard Wolf's route required less road walking which IS NOT what I want to do on a thru! Wolf puts out a very good pocket sized guide for NM for his route. I like his trail descriptions and comments! One month before starting found I had to put the CDT on the back burner for two months which meant a flip. Started SOBO from Waterton on June 25 planning a thru. Found out about the new NM CDT tread on the official route and heard some good things about it. Gave that route greater consideration but was still waffling. Had to get off the CDT going SOBO at Leadville CO for MORE unexpected work committments that got pushed forward. Now, this July I'll jump back on the CDT SOBO at Leadville and head to 75 % sure, Columbus! I would like to be done with the CDT for the ALDHA West meeting.

I'm the kind of thru-hiker who NEVER gets enough hiking experience. I inevitably, virtually on every thru, ADD to the length of the initally planned hike by adding on MORE trail mileage! I WILL spend additional hiking time while on the CDT in NM hiking around El Mapais and the Gila Rivers and hiking to some Native Indian sites.

You should print out all of Ley's different routes to see what YOU WANT for YOUR HIKE.

Thanks for the input Dogwood. I've been dragging my mouse all over google earth, dreaming the miles by the centimeter. It is less than a ten hour drive for me, so I could theoretically scope it out more in person before making a choice, but I'm trying to limit my travel until I get some budget stuff caught up.

There is so much to hike in NM that I'm trying to work out moving from TX to there (or at least closer) in the next five years. I love that it can change from this:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4076/4736546659_9e3b1fd72c_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdywhite/4736546659/)
camp2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdywhite/4736546659/) by Rowdius (http://www.flickr.com/people/rowdywhite/), on Flickr

to

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3633/5841483748_530b5026d5_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdywhite/5841483748/)
camp5 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdywhite/5841483748/) by Rowdius (http://www.flickr.com/people/rowdywhite/), on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowdywhite/4736546659/

Dogwood
06-17-2011, 03:04
Rowdy, don't know if you plan on eventually hiking all the CDT, and understand I'm a thru-hiker definitely preferring an end to end hike in one shot, but the CDT is one of those long distance trails that connects with virtually an infinite amount of other VERY WORTHWHILE side hikes, that are each in their own right outstandingthru-hikes. I say this because if their was one trail in all the trails I've long distanced hiked the CDT is the one that I wouldn't mind doing in several long sections and adding some non-CDT hikes to the mix. For you to be sectioning the CDT, if that actually is the case, it has so may benefits as my friend Wasa and Ron Moak of Six Moon designs have pointed pout to me.

Enjoy New Mexico. It's often a largely forgotten state to hike.

fiddlehead
06-17-2011, 06:31
Dry, dry dry, that's what i remember about this part.
1st time, I did the roadwalk ('98) and we cached water, at least up to the interstate (1st 60 miles?)
2nd time we did part of the marked "official" route and it was much nicer although dry.
You will need to rely on windmills that are working.
Look for cows. They rarely go more than 2 miles from their water source. They are your friend.
Saw a part of the CDTA guidebook and then went out and found the marked trail. But never bought the guidebook.
I prefer just hiking with a map but i know that's old school these days.

rowdy
06-17-2011, 08:02
Rowdy, don't know if you plan on eventually hiking all the CDT, and understand I'm a thru-hiker definitely preferring an end to end hike in one shot, but the CDT is one of those long distance trails that connects with virtually an infinite amount of other VERY WORTHWHILE side hikes, that are each in their own right outstandingthru-hikes. I say this because if their was one trail in all the trails I've long distanced hiked the CDT is the one that I wouldn't mind doing in several long sections and adding some non-CDT hikes to the mix. For you to be sectioning the CDT, if that actually is the case, it has so may benefits as my friend Wasa and Ron Moak of Six Moon designs have pointed pout to me.

Enjoy New Mexico. It's often a largely forgotten state to hike.

I plan on completing the NM section of the hike in the next few years. It may take me a bit longer on the rest. I'm actively working to get debt free, and once that happens (about 2.5 years from now, hopefully) then I'll be able to extend a bit more.

Dry, dry dry, that's what i remember about this part.
1st time, I did the roadwalk ('98) and we cached water, at least up to the interstate (1st 60 miles?)
2nd time we did part of the marked "official" route and it was much nicer although dry.
You will need to rely on windmills that are working.
Look for cows. They rarely go more than 2 miles from their water source. They are your friend.
Saw a part of the CDTA guidebook and then went out and found the marked trail. But never bought the guidebook.
I prefer just hiking with a map but i know that's old school these days.

Thanks.

skinewmexico
06-17-2011, 10:13
Hey rowdy, is that Middle Fork Lake?

Sly
06-17-2011, 12:26
A couple years dated, you'll find some info for the "official" route from Crazy Cook to Lordsburg here...

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt_bootheel.html

If I'm not mistaken the CDTS may have come out with some maps and a new guide book for NM recently

rowdy
06-17-2011, 18:51
Hey rowdy, is that Middle Fork Lake?

Yup, and that was a great trip to turned me on to last year. Hit Wheeler Peak from the Red River side, then dropped down on the unmarked trail from la Cal basin back to Middle fork. The second photo is on the way home from that trip, somewhere on BLM land in Lincoln County.

rowdy
06-17-2011, 19:19
A couple years dated, you'll find some info for the "official" route from Crazy Cook to Lordsburg here...

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/cdt_bootheel.html

If I'm not mistaken the CDTS may have come out with some maps and a new guide book for NM recently

Thanks, this is pretty good stuff, and will get me by until I can order maps, etc.

rowdy
06-17-2011, 19:24
Yup, and that was a great trip to turned me on to last year. Hit Wheeler Peak from the Red River side, then dropped down on the unmarked trail from la Cal basin back to Middle fork. The second photo is on the way home from that trip, somewhere on BLM land in Lincoln County.

That would be "that was a great trip YOU turned me to last year"

bearcreek
06-21-2011, 15:06
Crazy Cook to Lordsburg is detailed, along with water sources, in the CDTA New Mexico Mapbook which was published this year. The book is available here: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/continental-divide-trail-mapbook---new-mexico/14936854?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/2 It's really hot down there right now and I would not recommend that particular hike unless you go in the spring or fall.

rowdy
06-22-2011, 15:23
Crazy Cook to Lordsburg is detailed, along with water sources, in the CDTA New Mexico Mapbook which was published this year. The book is available here: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/continental-divide-trail-mapbook---new-mexico/14936854?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/2 It's really hot down there right now and I would not recommend that particular hike unless you go in the spring or fall.

It would be next late April/early May. Between paying for my girl's back surgery right now, and a little hike I've got planned here in Tejas for the fall , I'll not have the money until then.

Pollen
09-01-2011, 20:52
In southeast (upper southeast) NM and I will have plenty of time for some three day backpacking trips... Any suggestions are welcome. Looked up some mid sections of the CDT for NM and there was warnings all over about drug trafficking and water issues. Is this true?

fiddlehead
09-01-2011, 23:05
water issues SURE.
drug trafficking? Heard a rumor once but that's all. Saw nothing to justify it (did NM CDT twice)
The Gila is a good place to hike. (I guess that would be considered upper southeast???)

Sly
09-01-2011, 23:20

Seems to me the reviews of the guide were written before anyone actually used them on trail. Although these seem like they may be better, the CDTA had another series of guidebooks that were next to worthless. The Ley maps and Wolf guidebooks are the best combination.

Pollen
09-03-2011, 17:07
Thanks, I will ck out Gila.

handlebar
09-12-2011, 19:24
I hiked nobo from Crazy Cook after a shuttle to the border by Sam Hughes of Hachita NM starting on April 27, 2010. Reached Silver City, 137 mi. N of border, on May 6. I liked the route. The "official" trail was routed cross country as well as on roads. BLM marked the way with large CDT signs on high steel posts. Some of them have been knocked down by cows or blown down by the wind, so a track on your GPS will be helpful. See the sticky in this forum. I'd say the distance between signs was about 1/4 mile or more, so one being out of service could be a problem. My duration was prolonged because I wound up reaching Lordsburg on Saturday after the grocery closed and therefore had to stay over until Monday (the store wasn't open Monday and I needed to ship a package to Doc Campbells Post on Monday). 2010 was a fairly wet year for S. NM, the windmills and springs were running and there were even a few flowing streams, but I think those were N of Silver City. I don't know if the monsoon rains might have refreshed the water sources this year, but I do know it was very dry for nobo's. If the water situation allows, another option is the "official" Black Mountains route from Silver City northward.

el coyote
09-20-2011, 20:11
don't forget that there are trail angels in deming that will pick you up at bus and train stations for free but $20 to the border with detailed instructions about the trail between deming and columbus plus we cache water north of columbus 575 494 4357

STINGER1
10-06-2011, 17:58
I would also say the Gila river section, just out of Silver City. Its awesome. I would highly recommend the Little Bear(purple route on Ley's maps) to Middle Fork of the Gila. My favorite part of NM for sure. Really cool canyon country. Chama area is also nice but would have snow early season. Good luck have fun.