PDA

View Full Version : Wolfpack dog backpacks

ScottP
06-16-2011, 21:49
Any users of wolfpack dog backpacks out there?

There's a nice dog store right down the street from me. The owner told me that ruffwear packs don't look to be much higher quality than the cheap off-brands, but that the wolfpack dog backpacks are good.

Thanks in advance for feedback.

ScottP
06-16-2011, 22:00
PS--non-long distance hikers often think that 'heavier built' stuff is better, without realizing that heavier is bad. Is this circumstance the case with the ruffwear vs wolfpack difference?

Chomp09
06-16-2011, 22:45
You are correct ScottP. A few years ago I bought a (large) Wolfpack. It does fit my dog, and it's well constructed, but heavier and bulkier than the options I've come to know since. So that pack has only been worn maybe three times and has sat in my gear room since.

What size is your dog? If a wolfpack is what you decide you want, I'd be happy to beat their price. =]

ScottP
06-16-2011, 22:56
He's 50-55 pounds right now, and 10 months, so he should be done growing (mostly).

What do you use now, chomp? I can't seem to find weights on the ruffwear stuff.

Chomp09
06-17-2011, 00:02
When I stopped having him wear the wolfpack I was too lazy to explore other options. Plus, he was much happier when he wasn't wearing a pack. I just realized that somehow I became a sherpa for my dog...

kanga
06-17-2011, 14:05
that owner lied to you about ruffwear quality. my girls have both the palisades and the approach. they have stood up to hundreds of miles of rocks and trees and just generally retardedness on the part of my dogs. still 100% (if you ignore the dirt). a couple of the most important points when looking for a dog pack are: do they flop around or stay snug to the dog. trust me, you don't want a flopping pack. neither does the dog. also, on the yoke at the front of the dog's chest, is the plastic triangle padded completely? bella had a pack once that wasn't properly padded and the triangle wore all the hair off of her there. i felt so bad. i threw the pack away and bought her an approach pack, which she loves. some people also want their dog's pack to detach with velcro, leaving the harness still on the dog.

Dirty Nails
06-20-2011, 13:28
I have a Wolfpack, the smallest, simplest model they make. It's just about good enough for walks around town, but wasn't meant for hiking. I have used 4 different packs.
I'm with Kanga. The Ruffwear Approach is the best I've used so far. It is very durable. I mostly like the sturdy, well-fitted, padded harness. I have often carried my dog over fast, rock-hopping streams and lifted her up or down some big ledges, using the pack's handle. And it stays pretty level if you pack it evenly. My 60lb. Akita wears a medium. My only complaints are that the pockets are too big for my needs. I pack my old dog lightly, and the pockets hang low and puff out to the sides. They drag and scrape on everything, but tearing is not even a thought since the fabric is tough! I had some fabric "taken in" to reduce this effect.
Also, I wish it was available in red for better visibility in the woods. I got blue (as opposed to green) so my dog would not blend in to the forest.
Their Palisades pack is red, but too heavy (37 oz.), with excessive bells and whistles for my liking.
The REI website will give you weight specs for everything. I think the Approach is about 21 oz. (that's a full pound lighter). They also have 2 models under the REI brand name. I recently bought their REI "Ultra" dog pack, but haven't used it yet. It has smaller pockets with compression cords. It remains to be seen if it's as good as the Approach.
If you buy from REI, you can return it, unconditionally. Can't beat that.