PDA

View Full Version : Orange, VA? Anyone been there

John B
06-17-2011, 08:38
Anyone been there? It's northest of Charlotte. It made a top-20 list of great places to run, namely because of what the blurb contends is a large number of dirt roads. Can anyone confirm or refute this? The picture accompanying the blurb looks great, but then a talented photographer can make almost anyplace look wonderful.

chiefiepoo
06-17-2011, 08:52
Been there several times passing through to SNP. I'm not a runner so I did not look with a runners eye. Terrain is rolling hills at the foot of the Blue Ridge mtns. Home of James Madison and his restored mansion. Not a lot of shoulder space on the local secondary roads for runners or bicycles (my activity). Close to many wineries on the east slope of the Blue ridge with a few B&B's handy. Biggest industry is the Central Virginia regional jail south of town. Better trails and running in Charlottesville I'd say along the Riviana trail system. Or up on ome or the restricted fire roads leading to SNP

jlb2012
06-17-2011, 08:54
I think you mean Charlottesville instead of Charlotte

its not all that far from where I live and I've been there a long time ago

it probably does have a good number of dirt roads to run on but I don't know the roads in that area

Surplusman
06-17-2011, 09:43
I'm very familiar with Orange. There are some dirt roads along the Rapidan River east of Orange, but most are narrow 2-lane jobs. They are very narrow. Lots of nice rolling open hills east of town and Clark's Mountain. But again, the roads don't lend themselves to running, in my opinion.

Blissful
06-17-2011, 09:46
PM Lemni Skate.

John B
06-17-2011, 09:55
Yes, Charlottesville, not Charlotte. My bad.

Here's the pic and the blurb. From Runners World mag:

"Orange, VA
The ruddy dirt roads in this rural town offer breathtaking views of waving cornfields."

Now I'm pretty sure that rainbows aren't there 24/7, but I'm going to Washington next mth on business and wouldn't mind a bit spending the night in Orange on the way home if they had some seriously nice, long dirt roads to run.

chiefiepoo
06-17-2011, 17:07
and I forgot to mention tics. Lots of tics. Stop along the road / trail side to pick some of the abundent raspberries and black berries and you'll likely pick up a few riders too. Want a long level run in DC? Try a few miles out and back on the C&O canal towpath, (crushed gravel) starting in Georgetown or Capitol Crescent Trail a mix of paved and gravel running from Bethesda to Georgetown.