PDA

View Full Version : Heading in again

Tangent2
06-17-2011, 09:50
I'm getting ready to re-insert on the AT this week north going south this time around.I made it to Whitley Gap before getting chased off by tornadoes. Looking for the easiest (yes,I AM a wimp) place to head in and get my trail legs. Pa. or Va. or Ct?

Blissful
06-17-2011, 12:50
If you plan to go SOBO, just start at Katahdin. Plenty of hikers going out now for their SOBO adventure. Katahdin is rather tough but you will be with lots of new hikers starting out again, and the 100 mile wilderness is a good place to get your legs going. It's not easy going SOBO, but it's worthwhile.

Tangent2
06-17-2011, 15:58
Thanks, Blissful, for the input.I guess I should have been a little more open with the 411 on myself.I'm a big fat girl (240ish), >50 yo and not a hiker although I did make it from Springer to Whitley Gap Shelter.I was only making about 5 miles a day. The Big Mountain is beyond my capabilities at the moment but I'm not ready to call it day yet. It was so beautiful and peaceful and I was so lucky with the people I met. I want more of it and if I ever get my trail legs I'll hitch back to where I start from this time and head back north then go back where I leave off going southbound and finish up at Whitley.It may take two seasons to accomplish because it'll be snowing in the Smokies by the time I yoyo again.(They don't call me Tangent without cause.)

Tangent2
06-17-2011, 16:00
Thanks, Blissful, for the input.I guess I should have been a little more open with the 411 on myself.I'm a big fat girl (240ish), >50 yo and not a hiker although I did make it from Springer to Whitley Gap Shelter.I was only making about 5 miles a day. The Big Mountain is beyond my capabilities at the moment but I'm not ready to call it day yet. It was so beautiful and peaceful and I was so lucky with the people I met. I want more of it and if I ever get my trail legs I'll hitch back to where I start from this time and head back north then go back where I leave off going southbound and finish up at Whitley.It may take two seasons to accomplish because it'll be snowing in the Smokies by the time I yoyo again.(They don't call me Tangent without cause.)[/QUOTE]

karoberts
06-17-2011, 18:09
As a fellow female hiker, I think northern Virginia would be the best choice. Maybe do the last 70 miles of VA, then you hit Harper's Ferry and cruise through WV, which is pretty easy. By the time you are half-way through PA, you should feel pretty good.

max patch
06-17-2011, 18:34
I suggested in another thread yesterday that the C&O Canal Trail near DC would be ideal for someone who had trouble with the Springer-Neels section. As I've only hiked the part that it shares with the AT I asked others for confirmation that this would be a good choice. The only response that I got was that it was "too easy" to hike. Its pancake flat. Something to consider.

Blissful
06-17-2011, 21:56
Then I'd start then at Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro and head north) and see how far you can get. The trail in SNP is good and graded. Camping may be a bit of an issue, but between the shelter system and regular campgrounds, you can find places 8-10 miles apart which is doable in that region.

LIhikers
06-17-2011, 23:01
I suggested in another thread yesterday that the C&O Canal Trail near DC would be ideal for someone who had trouble with the Springer-Neels section. As I've only hiked the part that it shares with the AT I asked others for confirmation that this would be a good choice. The only response that I got was that it was "too easy" to hike. Its pancake flat. Something to consider.

I can address this issue as I hiked the entire C+O this spring. It's 185 miles from DC to Cumberland , Maryland. The trail is flat ( imagine a dirt road), it goes through a lot of Civil War and Canal history, there are towns right on the trail where you can resupply, there are designated campsites about every 5 or 6 miles that have a water pump, a port-a-john, a picnic table, and of course room to put up a tent. It would be a great way to get some trail legs. Then once you get to Cumberland you can continue on the Great Allegheney Passage. The difference is that there are no designated campsites, you'll have to stealth camp between towns, which again are right on the trail. Do the two trails back to back and it's a little over 300 miles. Just know that most people bicycle these two trails not walk them. I did run into 3 other hikers while I was out and dozens of cyclists.

virgil
06-18-2011, 00:02
Do the CT Section. I think it's about 55 miles. Go NB, then you'll just go into MA next. CT is nice country just flatter, then MA gets hills then mountains up near VT. Thru-hikers won't be there yet. Most of them are in VA or just getting into PA. Hike on.

virgil
06-18-2011, 00:09
I just read that you are SOBO on this trip. Do CT anyway, start at the MA border more or less and hike South. You'd be heading towards NY. 55 miles.

Tangent2
06-19-2011, 13:24
Thanks for all the input Everyone! I've decided to insert at Harpers Ferry and make up my mind there.....I decided to go to Washington DC first and catch the Doo Wop Show in Vienna and head in right after on an oldies high. I'll be trailing(or trudging) very shortly.I took out all my gear and gave it a once over and it looks as if I'm good to go.If you see a big girl with purple in her hair and an offkey song on her lips (or gasping over her walking sticks) that'll be me! I'm all excited again so that's a good thing.See some of you soon and wish all a Happy Trail.

littledragon
06-19-2011, 13:41
Wherever you start- you just hang in there!!! You take your time and hike YOUR hike. If you need a partner when you get to NC and the Smokies- get in touch, OK? I hope to do that part in Sept. or Oct.
Happy Trails!

Tangent2
06-20-2011, 16:43
Thanks! I'll try to keep in touch on the trail on the female forum on this thread or on hiker locator.Just tidying up loose ends and trying to reassure everyone that I'll be safe........AGAIN!!! All of my friends are inviting me to come and visit with them but it's time to go.I'd like to stay out at least a month to see how it feels when I get over that getting adjusted to the trail thing.Two monthes would be even better and three months would be Awesome.I'd love to be able to say I've done at least 500 miles....whoo hoo!

virgil
06-20-2011, 17:02
Sounds great. Lucky you. Hike on.

Slo-go'en
06-20-2011, 17:43
Heading out from Happers Ferry? Head north young girl...

Tangent2
06-21-2011, 13:40
Hey Slo-go'en, I'm going slow myself no matter which way I head. I have heard that there are fewer hikers on the trail after Harpers Ferry. I wonder how many people wander on and off and on the trail like I'm doing.

Tangent2
06-23-2011, 07:11
I just read a little of Jan Liteshoes'adventure and by the time I finished that one blog I was all teared up. It seems that every emotion and thought I felt she already spoke of except where she wanted to go on by herself in the snow. I love cold weather but get cold very quickly. I got hot, stinky,tired after only 5 miles a day,but I kept telling myself if I can just make it through the 1st 30 days I could do it all. Well,the wimpy girl I am made it as far as Whitley Gap Shelter where I spent the night listening to the sound of freight trains and fighting off hypothermia by crawling in to a fleece sleeping bag ( I had traded for a couple of nights earlier because MY 30 degree sleeping bag was too hot and too heavy!) that I had stuffed into a bivvy sack

Tangent2
06-23-2011, 07:18
I just read a little of Jan Liteshoes'Adventure and by the time I finished that one blog I was all teared up. I don't even know I'm bothering to write anymore. It seems that every emotion and thought I felt she already spoke of except where she wanted to go on by herself in the snow. I love cold weather but get cold very quickly. I got hot, stinky,tired after only 5 miles a day,but I kept telling myself if I can just make it through the 1st 30 days I could do it all. Well,the wimpy girl I am made it as far as Whitley Gap Shelter where I spent the night listening to the sound of freight trains and fighting off hypothermia by crawling in to a fleece sleeping bag ( I had traded for a couple of nights earlier because MY 30 degree sleeping bag was too hot and too heavy) that I stuffed into a bivvy sack. I got scared and made a desperate call to my sister to come rescue me. Those "freight trains" were the front runners to that horrible storm system that swept through Mo.,Ky.,and Tn. Two months have passed and I'm still scared but that's why I'm heading out again.

Tangent2
06-23-2011, 07:20
sorry about the double postings.