PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah celebrates 75 years with special dedication.

johnnybgood
06-17-2011, 21:51
Shenandoah National Park will hold a Rededication Ceremony on June 25th at 10 am at Big Meadows .
A free reserved seating ticket is necessary to attend this event .

The park will waive entrance fees for that day to celebrate the special occasion . The U.S. Marine band will also perform as well , with other special events taking place.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2011, 16:31
Johnny, thanks for posting this. As it turns out, I was planning to camp either at Big Meadows or Lewis Mountain that weekend while my GF attends the Trail Dames conference (http://www.traildames.com/summit2011.html) in Harrisonburg. I'd like to attend but I hope I'm able to get a campsite.

restless
06-18-2011, 21:51
Johnny, thanks for posting this. As it turns out, I was planning to camp either at Big Meadows or Lewis Mountain that weekend while my GF attends the Trail Dames conference (http://www.traildames.com/summit2011.html) in Harrisonburg. I'd like to attend but I hope I'm able to get a campsite.

Have you thought about Mathews Arm?

jlb2012
06-18-2011, 21:57
Have you thought about Mathews Arm?

Loft Mtn might be a more reasonable choice since he would be coming in from Swift Run Gap most likely since that is the entrance closest to Harrisonburg

Tinker
06-18-2011, 23:11
Shenandoah National Park will hold a Rededication Ceremony on June 25th at 10 am at Big Meadows .
A free reserved seating ticket is necessary to attend this event .

The park will waive entrance fees for that day to celebrate the special occasion . The U.S. Marine band will also perform as well , with other special events taking place.

I guess my invitation is held up in the mail (the government seems to be way behind on email and other interweb stuff :D).
I'd love to make it but I'm broker than (whatever fits for you) and that includes my dissolving body parts (this year's been tough on my knees and my right foot).
They'll probably have long, information rich talks about the engineering and building of the parkway and little mention of the AT. That's usually the way it is.:rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
06-19-2011, 07:56
Loft Mtn might be a more reasonable choice since he would be coming in from Swift Run Gap most likely since that is the entrance closest to Harrisonburg

I thought about Loft Mt., but Lewis Mt. is my favorite. However it's the smallest and if full, Big Meadows is closer to it than Loft. But Loft is closer to Swift Run Gap than Big Meadows.

At this point rather than base camp, I'm inclined to backpack a few days and camp in the back country, getting a permit from the Swift Run entrance station.