PDA

View Full Version : Aquablazing

RazorBlazer
06-17-2011, 21:53
1st time poster here - I'm contemplating a SB hike, and I was wondering if there are any rivers to paddle along the way like there are going NB. Paddling is my real passion, so I'd like to do some of that if possible.

No need to chastise me for maybe not "hiking" the whole thing. This is my journey, and it's how I might like to do it. Thanks for letting that go in advance.

WingedMonkey
06-17-2011, 22:02
You can paddle the Housatonic River from Dalton MA to Great Falls, Salisbury CT if the water is up.

WingedMonkey
06-17-2011, 23:13
You can paddle the Housatonic River from Dalton MA to Great Falls, Salisbury CT if the water is up.

Actually I suppose you could paddle as far as Bull Bridge Road in South Kent, but I have never made the effort to portage around the Falls Village Damn.

kayak karl
06-18-2011, 07:29
this trail crosses the AT a few times in Maine NFCT (http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/)

4shot
06-18-2011, 07:57
No need to chastise me for maybe not "hiking" the whole thing. This is my journey, and it's how I might like to do it. Thanks for letting that go in advance.

lol. something tells me that you have been reading on this site for awhile before posting. you just spoiled some fun for a few of the regular posters here.:sun

ScottP
06-18-2011, 11:43
just an idea--if paddling is your passion, think about doing a long paddling trip instead of the AT.

Blissful
06-18-2011, 12:40
just an idea--if paddling is your passion, think about doing a long paddling trip instead of the AT.

Do the Adirondack region of NY State.

Blissful
06-18-2011, 12:43
Only problem with SOBO is that by the time you get to VA the Shenandoah River (where many aqua blaze to bypass SNP) will be really low then and require portage big time. So that is not a good option, unless it happens to be a wild and woolley hurricane season.

Hikerhead
06-18-2011, 16:12
Only problem with SOBO is that by the time you get to VA the Shenandoah River (where many aqua blaze to bypass SNP) will be really low then and require portage big time. So that is not a good option, unless it happens to be a wild and woolley hurricane season.

Another problem is that the river flows in a northern direction making for a hard row. :eek:

4shot
06-18-2011, 16:57
Another problem is that the river flows in a northern direction making for a hard row. :eek:

dude is going sobo....he scoffs at challenges that would make weaker men tremble in their shoes.:)

vitamaltz
06-18-2011, 21:44
You could do Scranton to Duncannon on the Susquehanna instead of hiking from the Delaware Water Gap to Duncannon. It's something like 110 miles, but you could shorten it by changing the put-in.

RazorBlazer
06-26-2011, 15:46
I appreciate everyone's ideas. I'll definitely check those out, but I probably won't be attempting an upstream paddle of the Shenandoah! :)

DamnYankee
06-26-2011, 17:43
Do the Adirondack region of NY State.

I agree, that is an excellent area to canoe, went from Old Forge through Long Lake a decade or two ago ;-) was an incredibly beautiful trip