PDA

View Full Version : Sidesleepers, mummy bags, and slipping off your pad...

TDale
02-02-2005, 22:40
Just had a thought, in that strange way thoughts pop into your head when reading threads and thinking about gear.

Sleeping bags aren't made with pad retainer straps or pad sleeves suitable for side sleepers. So, let's take the reverse way out of the problem. Buy a rectangular, lightweight bag liner, the cheep nonwoven nylon type. Put pad and bag in the liner. Crawl in, velcro liner closed, zip bag, adjust hood. Should work.

max patch
02-02-2005, 23:29
thermarest sells a spray which you spray directly on the pad. takes away the slippery surface of the pad and solves the problem.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-03-2005, 08:18
thermarest sells a spray which you spray directly on the pad. takes away the slippery surface of the pad and solves the problem.
Slippery pads are an often discussed subject from the viewpoints of how to keep your pad from sliding around on your tent floor and how to keep your bag from sliding around on the pad. I wonder why thermarest doesn't just apply the coating to both sides of all the pads they sell? Any ideas beyond greed??

ffstenger
02-03-2005, 08:40
My Therma-rest pad (8+ years old) came with a tag that stated that the "up"
side was a "no-slip" material. I use a rectangle shape bag 'cause I like the room
and I turn over a lot. I don't have trouble sliding off the pad, but my bag turns around sometimes.:-?

Jaybird
02-03-2005, 09:07
THERMA-REST PAD......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! i'm so darn tarrrrrrrred (thats really tired to most of you!)...i hardly toss & turn @ all....but, Therma-Rest (as suggested above) does need to add the NO-SLIP goo to their product

i sleep in a mummy bag with my NEW Therma-Rest PAD under me. :D

Todd Kirkendol
02-03-2005, 09:07
Check out Big Agnes sleeping bags and pads. Part of their sleeping system is a pad that slips into a "pocket" in their sleeping bags. As far as I know, they are the only company doing this.

hiker33
02-03-2005, 20:18
Check out Big Agnes sleeping bags and pads. Part of their sleeping system is a pad that slips into a "pocket" in their sleeping bags. As far as I know, they are the only company doing this.The idea originated AFAIK with Jack Stephenson of Warmlight fame. He offered a choice of a foam pad or down-filled air mat with his bags.

I have a Big Agnes bag and it's the most comfortable one I've ever owned.
I'm also a side-sleeper and this bag is just like sleeping in a bed. There's an inside pocket in the hood or a shirt or jacket so your pillow won't slide away either. I have a semi-rectangular down +15 model but they have a full range of mummy designs in both Polarguard and down.

There's no fill on the bottom as the pad provides the insulation. The resulting weight savings are significant. Insulated baffles overlay the pad edges, minimizing cold spots.

Not least, they offer three pad thicknesses, air mats, and outer bags as well. With an outer bag and the appropriate pad the comfort range can run from +60 to -20 F. It's the layering principle applied to sleeping bags.

I recommend them highly:www.bigagnes.com (http://www.bigagnes.com/)

Mark
:sun

TakeABreak
02-03-2005, 21:31
Don't worry about sleeping on your side after a couple of weeks, you will be so tired that you will fall to sleep on your back with no problems what so ever.

breadcrumbs
05-01-2013, 11:05
This link might help.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/237 (http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask_kristin/237)

Dogwood
05-01-2013, 11:33
I start out sleeping on my back and toss from side to side throughout the night. I have slept on MANY inflatable pads with a taffeta(or similar) sleeping bag shell MANY a nights on the ground under a tarp, cowboying, and in tents. I've NEVER had an issue sliding off my off ANY of those various inflatable pads(Thermarest ProLite, NeiAir, Klymit, Big Agnes, Exped, etc and even a few cheapy air mattresses not meant to be inflatable pads - they were meant for floating on the water) EVEN when used over a polycro or Tyvek groundsheet WHEN I CHOSE A LEVEL PLACE TO CAMP!

BTW, I always have some McNett's Seam Grip around the house. It comes in handy for SO MANY uses - fixing holes in packs and tents, used as a replacement to Shoe Goo, repairs leaks in many inflatable pads(as opposed to buying more expensive patch kits), etc and as Kirstin says in BACKPACKER mag a few dots applied to the pad or tent floor can help keep your sleep system in place. Now, if I can only keep from sliding around with an inflatable pad in a hammock.

illabelle
05-01-2013, 11:59
Check out Big Agnes sleeping bags and pads. Part of their sleeping system is a pad that slips into a "pocket" in their sleeping bags. As far as I know, they are the only company doing this.

I have a 15* Big Agnes bag with the sleeve. Personally, I'm not crazy about it. Not only do I sleep on my side, but I also like to curl up, except it's hard to do when my bag is firmly attached to a semi-rigid pad. Also, the pad holds the bag kinda tight, instead of letting it relax, so it creates large air spaces between me and the bag that I have to heat before I can get warm. Maybe my pad is too big? If I want to sit up and get something from my pack or whatever, the whole pad has to bend with me, manageable if I just want to get something, but if I want to sit up for a while, it's bothersome. Now I just lay the bag on top of the pad. Works just as well as a standard bag, except that I have to turn inside the bag instead of turning with the bag (I turn a lot) to keep the uninsulated area on the bottom. Hasn't been a problem so far, but it hasn't been tested in very cold weather.

Dogwood
05-01-2013, 12:35
I often get her name wrong. It's Kristin Hostetter. It can happen when you have nieces with the names Kirsten and Kylie, a GF with the name Christine, and good friends with the names Carson, Kris, and Chris! Either way their are some possible solutions in that gear article in BACKPACKER.

FarmerChef
05-01-2013, 12:43
WHEN I CHOSE A LEVEL PLACE TO CAMP!

Bingo. I have a thermarest z-rest and I've slept in all manner of positions on it. I'll caveat by saying that my bag is a flannel bag liner and that if I don't choose a level place to camp I almost always wind up sliding off in the downhill direction. It's annoying to caterpillar your way back up since you can't just roll over and go back to sleep. I could see where spray on stuff might work. I'd swear my z-rest has something similar on the "up" side as I just can't recall sliding off under normal circumstances.

Namtrag
05-01-2013, 14:48
I have a BA bag so I cannot try this idea, but how about putting 4 2"x2" velcro pieces on bottom of sleeping bag, and matched up to like velcro pieces placed on sleeping pad?

Del Q
05-01-2013, 20:19
So I weigh 220 lbs and want to know what kind of glue will hold me on my back when I sleep

Bought Big Agnes bags initially, pad into the sleeve underneath, woke up most nights in a knot, pad on top of me, sideways, not pretty

I want to learn to sleep on my back, will pay good money for the right sleeping glue!!

Dogwood
05-01-2013, 21:06
So I weigh 220 lbs and want to know what kind of glue will hold me on my back when I sleep

Why, SUPER or GORILLA GLUE of course.

Bought Big Agnes bags initially, pad into the sleeve underneath, woke up most nights in a knot, pad on top of me, sideways, not pretty

Have you tried the New Pretzle style sleeping bags by BA? Might work for you.

I want to learn to sleep on my back, will pay good money for the right sleeping glue!

Alternatively, could try sleeping on your back with a cinder block on each shoulder like the Swamis do.