PDA

View Full Version : Late June SOBO Hike

Rawrasaur
06-18-2011, 18:02
So, I'm starting my SOBO on June 23rd, and I am left wondering how many people I will encounter on the trip.

I've read from other posts about the friendships made on the AT and many people seem to identify the trail society as an integral part of the journey; one which I would like to be part of.

With that said, I font mind solitude, nor do I feel any hesitation about the hike; I'm just curious how empty it will be.

Sly
06-18-2011, 18:22
You should see some other southbounders and a few section hikers until you reach New Hampshire when you'll be noticing a bunch of northbounders. Soon after during the week you'll have the trail mostly to yourself.

4shot
06-18-2011, 18:29
never sobo'd but you will be running into plenty of NOBO's for the first 2 months maybe. I think if you look around and find squid's spreadsheet he does each year, you will get a good idea of who's going to be starting in late June/early July sobo. I think that's at or just after the peak for a sobo start date.In general, i was surprised at the number of vacationers/weekends/scouts etc. out and about in the summer on the trail. being a very recreational or casual backpacker in my former life, I never would have considered a trip during the heat of summer on the east coast of the us, especially below northern New England.

Raven2001
06-18-2011, 20:57
So, I'm starting my SOBO on June 23rd, and I am left wondering how many people I will encounter on the trip.

I've read from other posts about the friendships made on the AT and many people seem to identify the trail society as an integral part of the journey; one which I would like to be part of.

With that said, I font mind solitude, nor do I feel any hesitation about the hike; I'm just curious how empty it will be.

Hi Rawrasaur - my friend and I hiked SOBO in 2000/01 (june 30-feb4). Things have certainly changed in some ways in a decade I'm sure, but we met many great people, hiked on and off seeing the same solo hikers or pairs/groups, friended many for month-intervals before separating, and then the wave of NOBO hikers, you'll meet many...not for long though...

At one point, basically through much of Virginia, we went about 500 miles without sharing a shelter. We saw other day hikers, hunters, etc. but it was getting cold, the NOBOS were long gone, and this part of the trail wasn't as popular as others in late fall. Once we hit the Smokies, people were back. I imagine it's busier now and you'll see enough people. To be fair, we were behind probably 98% of SOBOS after an extended stay earlier.

Enjoy it - it can change your life.

RGB
06-18-2011, 21:05
You'll see less people for sure. The main reason I want to do a SOBO is less people, and I think it will be better having a smaller tight knit group of friends than if I was going NOBO. It seems like it gets rather cliquish, heading north...

4shot
06-18-2011, 21:36
It seems like it gets rather cliquish, heading north...

keep that in mind, my potential "little beard" trail brother. some of the nobo tribes were cannibalistic and enjoyed the flesh of those who still had some fat and meat on their bones. Best to stay on the blue blazed trails until NY or so. Or travel at night if you must. Not all of the cliques were potentially dangerous but when and where you would possibly encounter them the stench is over bearing and may be its own safety hazard. Beware, you have been warned. safe journeys and Godspeed to you.

Rawrasaur
06-18-2011, 22:04
hey thanks for the input.

Sounds like you had a good hike raven. I hope this can be a life changing trip! Sounds like SOBO will be fine. I plan on finishing in around 4 months, so perhaps the southern portion of the trail will be less desolate.