PDA

View Full Version : Parking near Neels Gap

flagator
06-18-2011, 18:11
Hey im looking at doing a last minute section hike. Im lookin at patking at neels and getting a shuttle to the nearest road stop north of bly and hiking back to the vehicle. Where would you park your car... Vogel? And if so, how far is it to neels, can i walk, or do i have to hitch??
Who would be best suited to shuttle? Im guessing josh and leigh at hiker hostel. Thanks for all the help.

Carl in FL
06-18-2011, 18:17
From the GATC website:

Neels Gap (3125 ft), paved US 19/129 with parking at Byron Reese Memorial north on
highway. Walasi-Yi Center has hiker supplies, equipment and hostel available on first
come, first serve basis.

I am told that the parking at the Walasi-Yi Center is for customers only. The Byron
Reese parking is only a few tenths of a mile North.

Skidsteer
06-18-2011, 18:18
There is a parking lot 1/2 mile North of Neel's Gap on the "West" side of the road. If it's not full.

Red Hat
06-18-2011, 18:20
He is right about Byron Reese parking... short walk to the store at Mtn Crossings. For a shuttle, I'd contact Gene Roll (generoll) here.

flagator
06-18-2011, 18:28
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Any of u folks have Genes number, ive spoken to him before but didnt put his number in my phone.

virgil
06-18-2011, 18:52
The 1st road crossing North of the GA/NC line and Bly Gap is Deep Gap NC. The USFS road into it, off the main road Rt. 64, is about 10-miles long. It's a very good gravel/dirt road gaining elevation the whole way. The hike to Neel's Gap is great. I hiked that section in May NOBO from Neel's Gap. I ended at Deep Gap.
Here's one camp site recommendation. I know it depends on how your SOBO mileage works out, but one night I camped on top of Rockey Mtn. It was a nice, grassy campsite with room for 3-4 tents. You would need to pick-up water sometime during the day. It's up high, breezy, great rocky outcrops and vista views. It would also be an ideal lunch stop.

Red Hat
06-18-2011, 19:54
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Any of u folks have Genes number, ive spoken to him before but didnt put his number in my phone.

click on the members list at the top of the page, then click on "G", then page 4 and you will see "generoll". Email or PM and he will get back to you.

shoe
06-20-2011, 00:42
If you are going to park at Byron Reece trailhead you had better get there before early in the day. They have shrunk the parking lot and you better believe if you you are not directly centered between the 2 stripes of the parking space you will get a ticket.

Red Hat
06-20-2011, 06:31
If you are going to park at Byron Reece trailhead you had better get there before early in the day. They have shrunk the parking lot and you better believe if you you are not directly centered between the 2 stripes of the parking space you will get a ticket.

there is usually plenty of parking except on weekends... get there Friday evening or early Saturday if you are arriving on a weekend.

generoll
06-20-2011, 07:52
706-896-5798
423-653-7417

and yes, Deep Gap, NC is the closest road access to Bly Gap.

Gene

Old Hiker
06-20-2011, 08:38
I'd pay the $3 or $5 to park at Vogel and shuttle from there. You park in front of the store/ranger station with eyes on pretty much the entire time. Our Scout Troop did it for two years.