PDA

View Full Version : SynMat 7 vs Downmat 7 ?

Loneoak
06-18-2011, 21:37
If you were going to purchase one of these mats, which would you prefer and why? I have researched both and they are about equal in size/weight for the small and medium, biggest difference is the R-Value, one being 4.9 and the other 5.9
Considering using one or the other on a thru hike next yr, starting early March with a 20 degree down bag.
Thanks in advance

Northern Lights
06-18-2011, 23:48
Go with the downmat. I have the 7 and love it.

jeffmeh
06-19-2011, 07:50
You can shed about a pound of weight if you are willing to give up some R-value with the SynMat UL 7. A medium is only 15.2 oz., with an R-value of 3.1, and you could supplement it with something like a 1/8 inch foam for another 2.6 oz. or so.

Something to consider, but whether the extra weight is worth the extra insulation is a personal choice.

Tinker
06-19-2011, 20:32
Another option is to buy the air mattress of your choice and to carry a closed cell foam pad to supplement it. During the early days of Thermarest I had a non-hiking friend accompany me on a hike in the White Mts. and his rented T- Rest went flat on him. Result?
No warmth AND no comfort.
Whenever I don't hang (which is rare these days) I carry a Big Agnes Mummy Air mattress and if it's cold enough I bring along a ccf pad.
INSURANCE AND versatility.
Just my $.02 :)

I should add that a closed cell foam pad makes a much better sit pad when you need to sit on some abrasive rocks or logs with little sticks poking out of them. I still carry a small one (the "frame" for my frameless pack) which I use both as a sit pad and a doormat for getting into and out of my hammock. Spraying it with Permethrin isn't a bad idea, either.

Loneoak
06-19-2011, 21:44
Is that much R=Value needed early in the yr, starting out at springer? And is going to be hot later one into the hike?

Tinker
06-19-2011, 22:29
Is that much R=Value needed early in the yr, starting out at springer? And is going to be hot later one into the hike?
I'm guessing that you're directing this question at me, so I'll answer:
The R-value is up to you. You could use 1/8, 3/16, or 1/2 inch blue foam, whichever you think will be adequate.
Yes, it will be hotter later in the hike, when you could send your ccf pad home or swap it out for a thinner one.
The way I use the ccf pad is on top of the air mat. Underneath it is good for puncture protection but doesn't do much to up the R-value of the system. Whenever you have to camp on rocky or otherwise puncture likely terrain the ccf pad is anti-puncture security, so I say switch to a thin pad in warm weather, don't just go without.
Of course if you decide to go with an inflatable pad with the insulation inside, except that the inability to add puncture resistance without adding weight is nil, and nasties can grow on the inside of the pad (which can produce its own moisture if you inflate it with cold, damp air and then heat it with your body, causing interior condensation).
Lots to think about.:-?