PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal-to-Bears Den Hostel 24-26 June 2011

Rain Man
06-18-2011, 22:31
I'll be leading a small group on a short trip next weekend in northern Virginia. We plan to start just outside Front Royal on Friday morning and hike to Bears Den Hostel on Sunday around lunch time. That two and a half days about about 35 miles, give or take.

Right now it's two women (both past thru-hikers) and two men.

If interested, feel free to give a shout.

Also, anyone recommend a good shuttler up that way? Would prefer to have vehicle shuttled as we hike, if possible.

Rain Man

Lugnut
06-18-2011, 22:36
Call Skyline @ 877-789-3210

Skyline
06-18-2011, 23:03
Thanks for the plug Lugnut.

As of right now, we have availability Saturday about 10am, Sunday about 10am, but Monday (if needed) we are booked all morning. We could do something in the afternoon Monday tho.

Best way to do this, if you want your vehicle with you at the end of each day's hike (we've done it for people this way before) is to have us meet you where you want to park. We would then shuttle you to where you want to start hiking that day, and you would hike to your awaiting vehicle.

Give us a call at 1-877-789-3210 ASAP and we'll set up a reservation for each day you will need us. Our vans can accommodate five plus gear comfortably. If necessary, we could squeeze in a sixth person but that gets very crowded with gear. More than six requires a second shuttle, but we discount the second trip since we're already in the area.

Skyline
06-18-2011, 23:13
I misread your dates.

Anyway, as of now we have availability Friday at 10am, Saturday at 10am, and Sunday as needed. Call us and we'll figure out an itinerary.

Rain Man
06-19-2011, 14:46
Best way to do this, if you want your vehicle with you at the end of each day's hike (we've done it for people this way before) is to have us meet you where you want to park. We would then shuttle you to where you want to start hiking that day, and you would hike to your awaiting vehicle.

I see I have led you astray. We don't want our vehicle shuttled each day. We simply want it shuttled once, so that it is waiting on us at the end. We prefer to drive to the start point and leave it there, and have it waiting on us at the end when we finish. That's what I meant by shuttled as we hike. My bad.

I'll call.

BTW (for anyone), any special trail/shelter/water/bug/etc. issues along that section that we should be aware of?

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
06-19-2011, 16:47
...BTW (for anyone), any special trail/shelter/water/bug/etc. issues along that section that we should be aware of?

As you probably know, you're ending the hike on the fabled Virginia Roller Coaster and as you've seen from everytime this is brought up on WB, it's not that forbidding.

Skyline
06-19-2011, 17:25
I see I have led you astray. We don't want our vehicle shuttled each day. We simply want it shuttled once, so that it is waiting on us at the end. We prefer to drive to the start point and leave it there, and have it waiting on us at the end when we finish. That's what I meant by shuttled as we hike. My bad.

I'll call.

BTW (for anyone), any special trail/shelter/water/bug/etc. issues along that section that we should be aware of?

OK, I did misunderstand your intent. That makes it easier--one shuttle, one price. Split among 5 or 6 people not bad at all. We could meet you at Bears Den, shuttle you to Front Royal or nearby, on Friday morning.

Ask for Rodney when you call. It's really his show. I'm just a cheerleader. :-)

Rain Man
06-19-2011, 22:45
As you probably know, you're ending the hike on the fabled Virginia Roller Coaster and as you've seen from everytime this is brought up on WB, it's not that forbidding.

Yep... and hiking with two past thru-hikers, I'm in a good group to know some such things, I figure. But it's all new to me, that section. The last day is a short mileage day.

Rain Man
06-19-2011, 22:48
OK, I did misunderstand your intent. That makes it easier--one shuttle, one price. Split among 5 or 6 people not bad at all. We could meet you at Bears Den, shuttle you to Front Royal or nearby, on Friday morning.

Ask for Rodney when you call. It's really his show. I'm just a cheerleader. :-)

Will call again. Called today and left a message. I really want to avoid the scenario you describe, as I've found that always delays our start time by a couple of hours, at least. But if it can't be avoided, then so be it. Will discuss when I get to chat with Rodney. There will most likely be four of us.

Thanks.

Blissful
06-20-2011, 08:46
You've done enough hiking, you'll be fine, I just wouldn't do this part this time of year. Its much nicer in the fall with the changing leaves. Or in the spring with the trillium groves

Rain Man
06-20-2011, 12:46
Ask for Rodney when you call. It's really his show.

Done. Left a second voice mail message just now. I'll look forward to speaking with him when he calls.

You've done enough hiking, you'll be fine, I just wouldn't do this part this time of year. Its much nicer in the fall with the changing leaves. Or in the spring with the trillium groves

Well, it's a matter of making hay while the sun shines. A friend has the weekend free and the itch to hike. But I will be back to do Maryland, so might try to arrange a fall or spring hike then for just those reasons. Thanks!