PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Fuel on JMT

ramble on
06-19-2011, 07:30
I'm starting my thru hike on 15 August and I'll be using an alcohol stove. I have two questions: is fuel available for purchase at all the food drop locations?, and how much fuel per day should I plan on using? I will only be cooking dinner, along with a cup of tea. I have no experience with an alcohol stove at high elevations. Thanks for replying.

oops56
06-19-2011, 08:15
test stove at home first see how much it fuel use on one boil etc.

Phreak
06-19-2011, 10:18
I have used alcohol stoves on the JMT. I typically carry 1oz of alcohol per day. I only cook dinners and the 1oz is a little more than I need but don't mind having a buffer.

Like in the previous post, test everything out at home and see how much you'll need.

I know for certain Muir Trail Ranch sells alcohol by the ounce but I'm not sure about Reds Meadow or Vermillion Valley.

Slo-go'en
06-19-2011, 10:27
If you plan on eating pasta type meals, expect longer cook times on the JMT (use the high altitude cooking instructions on the side of the package). Therefore, you will likely use somewhat more fuel than you would at home for the same foods. (Unless you already live at high altitudes..)

jasonG
06-19-2011, 15:43
I used a caldera cone alcohol stove last summer and generally used about .75-1 oz per 2cups boiled.

MTR definitely sells denatured by the ounce. Although before you buy, check the hiker bins as you might find some extra somebody left. (last summer found a bottle of HEET and just used that the rest of my trip)

Reds Meadow does NOT sell it in their store. The clerk didn't even know what denatured alcohol was.. I was very surprised. Again you might find some in their hiker bins. The rumor is there that they take stuff out of their hiker bins and resell it in their store so you might find some on their shelves that they are trying to resell.

I didn't go to VVR so not sure...

Kanook
06-29-2011, 00:45
According to their websites denatured alcohol is available in Yosemite Valley. VVR, and MTR.
I'm not sure about Tuolumne Meadows.

garlic08
06-29-2011, 09:06
Not sure about purchase locations since I didn't resupply at any of those places, but I'll confirm the .75 oz amount for two cups on my pepsi can stove. I used a fleece hat as a pot cozy because I wasn't smart enough to make one beforehand, so you might consider that if you haven't already. That can help save fuel.

Pilgrim2K
06-30-2011, 09:26
I hiked the JMT in 08 and used an alcohol stove. I got alcohol in Yosemite, (the Valley) and you can buy in Tuolumne, but only by the gallon. Check in the camp ground for other tent campers to see if they have any to spare. The reds meadow store did sell by the ounce. It's in the back room. VVR sells by the ounce, as well as Muir Ranch as another person on the trail told me, (i didn't go into Muir Ranch). I went into Bishop over Bishop Pass to resupply and take a day off. I got fuel by the ounce at the outfitters there. I used about 1 oz. per day as I too only cook dinner. I did carry a couple of esbit tabs in my first aid kit as a back up just in case. I didn't have a problem with the stove at altitude. Hope this helps in your planning. Have fun it's a great trail.

Kanook
07-02-2011, 06:46
[QUOTE=Pilgrim2K;1176828] I went into Bishop over Bishop Pass to resupply and take a day off. [QUOTE]

How did you get into Bishop from the trailhead? Did you hitch?

Kanook
07-02-2011, 06:47
[QUOTE=Pilgrim2K;1176828] I went into Bishop over Bishop Pass to resupply and take a day off. [QUOTE]<BR><BR>How did you get into Bishop from the trailhead? Did you hitch?

verysimple
07-01-2014, 09:19
Is it legal to ship alcohol fuel via USPS to TM Post office (ground)?

Dogwood
07-01-2014, 19:00
You might check current fire/stove restrictions for when you'll be on the JMT. Open alchy stoves may be prohibited. Once over Bishop Pass you arrive at a busy TH Parking Lot at a paved ded end road and just down the paved street a marina on South Lake. I've hitched into Bishop and back out to this TH at least six times between June/Oct. It's never been a huge issue getting rides. Parchers Resort a short walk down the road may hold a box for you if not wanting to go into Bishop. Bishop is a great trail town though with everything a hiker may need. Bishop can also be accessed via going over Paiute Pass to North Lake. North/South Lake Loop is a somewhat popular hike in this area of the Sierras

verysimple
07-01-2014, 20:28
its allowed. I just need to know if I can mail it.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/fire-restrictions.htm

DaFireMedic
07-03-2014, 16:53
Is it legal to ship alcohol fuel via USPS to TM Post office (ground)?

No, denatured alcohol cannot be mailed via USPS.

DaFireMedic
07-03-2014, 17:03
I should clarify. When I asked in 2012, the post office gave me a definitive "no". But I'm reading that unopened, commercial bottles (possibly something like HEET) are permitted. You'd better ask the post office.

verysimple
07-03-2014, 17:11
Will do. My understanding that sir was no go and ground was allowed. Hopefully my post office people know but I have doubts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk