PDA

View Full Version : Question about camping in Baxter

bjj4287
06-19-2011, 15:51
My flight is landing in Bangor on the 23rd and im going to take the cyr bus to Medway and get picked up by the appalachian trail lodge from there and ill stay there over night and get shuttled to baxter in the morning(friday). The abol and katahdin stream campground are both full Friday and saturday, so im not really sure where the best place to stay would be. Any advice?

Thanks,
Alex

Tinker
06-19-2011, 19:59
Call Baxter and ask if The Birches is open for sobo thruhikers. It's reserved for thruhikers in the fall, so I imagine that if it's in operation now you'll have a place to camp.

TJ aka Teej
06-19-2011, 21:19
My flight is landing in Bangor on the 23rd and im going to take the cyr bus to Medway and get picked up by the appalachian trail lodge from there and ill stay there over night and get shuttled to baxter in the morning(friday). The abol and katahdin stream campground are both full Friday and saturday, so im not really sure where the best place to stay would be. Any advice?

You can't stay at the Birches. Only for northbounders hiking in from at least 100 miles south.
It's a real long shot but you might luck out and meet a hiker who thought ahead and got reservations. ask around on the bus, or at the Lodge, or during your climb. If not, get up and down in a hurry to meet the AT Lodge's shuttle (about 4PM) back to town. Hiking out to Abol Bridge after a Baxter Peak summit is a long day, but there's a state campground called Abol Pines and the private campground at Abol Bridge.
Don't even think about stealth camping inside the Park.