PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP end of July

condorito
06-19-2011, 17:20
I am planning to hike from Fontana Dam to I40 sometime between July 25 and August 10, hopefully in 5 days.
However, reading the stories about full shelters and the lack of public transport to the trailheads I might reconsider.
I appreciate any coments on my plans regarding time frame, season, route. Is there a decent alternative to this "clasic"?

And: When you write about equipment, what do you mean by Cap 3 or Cap 2?

Thanks for letting me know!

tdw0066
06-19-2011, 17:45
Are you flying into Knoxville? I'll try and help you get to/from the trailheads. Let me know.

Troy

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-19-2011, 22:05
I work in Pigeon Forge and live in Knoxville. If you Hike to Gatlingburg (5-10 mins from P. Forge) I can drive you to Knoxville/Airport or wherever depending on where. I will be out of town and possibly moved to the West Coast by then, but a few more details and I would be happy to help if I can.

condorito
06-20-2011, 07:14
Sounds great and promissing! I'll get back to you as soon as we have detailed plans. Yes, we plan to fly to Knowville, visit Nashville and find some good concerts in the area (Country, Folk, Bluegrass) and then for a physical treat do the hike. I only hope we can get the permits for the shelters.

EastCoastFeastCoast
06-20-2011, 09:26
There are a lot of beautiful campsites that don't require reservations! Keep your options open. Or if you really want a shelter... better book it a week ago :)

fishing
06-20-2011, 10:16
You should also consider hiking the BMT instead, it has a large amount more non-reservation campgrounds and it makes the hike much less stressful.

Alex
aka Blue Moon

condorito
06-20-2011, 12:32
Nice option, thanks. The stress might thus be limited to the section between Site 44 and the Davenport Gap. How does the GSMNP part of the BMT compare to the AT as far as elevation changes are concerned? Is it easier?
Considering the fact that we plan 5 days for the AT, how many days would you estimate for the BMT from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap?

fishing
06-20-2011, 13:39
Nice option, thanks. The stress might thus be limited to the section between Site 44 and the Davenport Gap. How does the GSMNP part of the BMT compare to the AT as far as elevation changes are concerned? Is it easier?
Considering the fact that we plan 5 days for the AT, how many days would you estimate for the BMT from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap?

I can't speak on the elevation changes, I don't have my hike until July, just wanted to share some information I ran across while researching.

The total BMT milage from Twentymile Ranger Station until Davenport Gap is 96.2 miles, much more than you would want to do in 5 days.

If you are in pretty good hiking shape, you could possible loop the AT until Clingman's Dome and then hike down Forney Creek Trail (several non-reserve campsites,) onto the BMT, and eventually land back at Fontana Dam. It would be big milage days, however, to complete it in 5 days.

Dobie Swift
06-20-2011, 13:55
And: When you write about equipment, what do you mean by Cap 3 or Cap 2?

People are referring to Patagonia Capilene 2 and Capilene 3.

Beachcomber
06-27-2011, 11:23
I just completed the same route, but southbound (Davenport/I-40 to Fontana) in six days. Quite doable for a relative novice like myself. I wouldn't have wanted to try to cover that mileage in less time, mostly because of the amount of high-altitude climbs involved. My experience was that the long uphill stretches, like from Davenport to Mt. Cammerer, weren't as grueling as some shorter climbs much higher up. So a trail like the BMT that doesn't get into quite so much thin air might be easier regardless of the actual amount of up-and-down.