PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in August

toothpick09
06-19-2011, 21:48
Does anyone know what the bugs will be like heading westbound around August 1st. Could I get away with a tarp or should I bring my Tarptent.

Mags
06-20-2011, 00:26
I typically use a tarp (and mainly cowboy camp) in Colorado. I only remember a handful of times were I bug netting was nice. It (typically) cools off in Colorado at night and when you get to the higher elevations esp you will find that the insects are less active at night!

Hole-In-The-Hat
06-20-2011, 10:50
You should be fine with a tarp. I used a tarp on my thruhike, and only had one night I could have used a bug net -- not due to mosquitoes, but pesky flies.

Tyler
06-20-2011, 13:07
I've been wondering the same thing. I'm planning on using a tarp as well.

echoes
06-20-2011, 13:27
Yeah, unless you go to bed really early, the mosquitoes are pretty much a non-issue as far as sleeping is concerned since it gets so cool at night.

gravityman
06-20-2011, 16:59
I disagree assuming you plan on camping near water. After a few bad experiences, I use my tarptent every time in Colorado. If you like to camp high and/or away from water, then you don't need it.

Thought that I would put my 2c in :)

Gravity.

Highway Man
06-20-2011, 21:15
I agree with what Echoes and Gavityman said. I only got a couple of bites once at a early evening in early August. The dry environment is not good for the mosquitoes, and other waterborne bugs. The temperature was never above 50 F in the mornings on the trail August through September, when I thru-hiked last year. I kinda believe you may be fine with only a tarp.

toothpick09
06-22-2011, 10:39
Thanks everyone, if you have any other tips for my August thru-hike let me know!

Highway Man
06-22-2011, 19:06
Thanks everyone, if you have any other tips for my August thru-hike let me know!

- Don't leave any exposed part of your body from day one, ideally.

- Slow down in the first week or so to get acclimated if you're not from a plateau. You can even stay at a high ground, 7,000'~10,000' for a period of time before starting the hike.

- Get on the trail early to make the miles as the thunderstorm usually comes at mid afternoon.

DuctTape
06-23-2011, 17:07
I started my hike on August 1st of last year - don't remember any bugs at all except for a few pesky mosquitoes on an afternoon break on a rainy day.

Cookerhiker
07-20-2011, 10:17
Since this year was much snowier-than-average, does all that extra moisture equate to more mosquitos than usual?

azhiker
07-25-2011, 09:03
I just got back from camping near Leadville, and the mosquitoes were brutal in the late afternoon through twilight. After that, it's too cold for them.

jbsbestfan
07-27-2011, 08:45
- Don't leave any exposed part of your body from day one, ideally.

- Slow down in the first week or so to get acclimated if you're not from a plateau. You can even stay at a high ground, 7,000'~10,000' for a period of time before starting the hike.

- Get on the trail early to make the miles as the thunderstorm usually comes at mid afternoon.

What do you mean by don't leave any exposed part of your body from day one? Are you talking about avoiding sun exposure or bugs? I am planning to do a section hike starting in a few days and I have shorts only (except rainpants), and a few short sleeve shirts.

Highway Man
07-28-2011, 01:47
What do you mean by don't leave any exposed part of your body from day one? Are you talking about avoiding sun exposure or bugs? I am planning to do a section hike starting in a few days and I have shorts only (except rainpants), and a few short sleeve shirts.

Yes, I was talking about the sun burn. I wore a T-shirt and shorts in the first couple of days, and got sun burnt badly on my neck and forearms. I soon changed to long sleeved shirt, but still wore shorts most of the time till the end. So you may need to wear long sleeved shirt, hiking pants, and even thin gloves. Using proper head gears are also necessary. I have fairly dark complexion. But the sun burn really bothered me for quite a while.

I considered it had excessive rain in August last year. I only had a pair of convertible hiking pants, and long bottom base layer which I wore when it was a little cold in the morning. I just want to say whichever way you feel comfortable to protect yourself from sun exposure, wearing more clothes, or using sun screen, this is a key issue at the Colorado Trail.

Mags
07-30-2011, 15:34
re: Sun protection

As with Highway Man, I have 'darker' features (southern Italian ancestry in my case) and tend to tan easily. But, I am all about sun protection esp at the higher elevations. Long sleeves and a high collar (a polyester/rayon blend long sleeve dress shirt for $4 at the thrifter) and a military-style boonie hat tends to work. Never did like hiking in long pants, so I just wear shorts as well.

Red, burnt and peeling skin is no fun....and quite dangerous! :)

Cookerhiker
08-04-2011, 17:51
I just got back from camping near Leadville, and the mosquitoes were brutal in the late afternoon through twilight. After that, it's too cold for them.

Yes, I can attest to this - mosquitos have been on us when we stopped for breaks - even at 11,000' - and dinner in the campsite has been an adventure in dodging. Upon reaching camp, the first thing I do is put on long pants, windbreaker, and hat so that I only have to slap them around my face.

But the hike's going well!