PDA

View Full Version : It's Hot

HiKen2011
06-19-2011, 22:41
I can remember when I was a boy, 14 or so, growing up at the foothills of Fort Mountain and Grassy Mountain and enduring the hot summers. We were quite poor and had no air conditioning or even running water! I remember getting up from bed so hot going to the front door, a screen door, and cooling down as best I could until I became so exausted that I returned to bed and drifted off to sleep

My hvac went out today and I was fortunate to get a repairman out, going to be a few days before it's repaired though, made me think about those day's as a youth! Have I, we became so soft? I'm miserable but that being said, can't help but think about our ancestors, my ancestors, who had no air, electricity or running water! Forgive me for feeling sorry for myself!

Phreak
06-19-2011, 22:47
I never used AC in my car or home until I got married. The wifey won't tolerate not having the AC on. If it gets too cool in the house, I go out in the backyard and sleep in my hammock. I just can't seem to acclimate to using artificially cooled air.

Hope you get your AC up and running soon!

Tinker
06-19-2011, 23:04
We have become a nation of chubby, whining, coddled crybabies.
(but I can live with that :D). ;)

sbhikes
06-20-2011, 22:52
I don't have air conditioning. I have never had air conditioning. I don't need it where I live and I don't like it when I go to places where people think they need it. How do they stand freezing indoors like that and then going outside and having it be 40 degrees difference? That's just crazy.

DapperD
06-20-2011, 23:00
I don't have air conditioning. I have never had air conditioning. I don't need it where I live and I don't like it when I go to places where people think they need it. How do they stand freezing indoors like that and then going outside and having it be 40 degrees difference? That's just crazy.Those living on the West Coast have and enjoy very low humidity. If you were living on the humid East Coast when it turns into nothing short of a steam bath come the hot summer months then I bet you would grow to appreciate it:).

Trailweaver
06-21-2011, 03:20
Second that!!! I went to Colorado a few years ago during what was billed as a "heat wave" out there for them. The humidity was so low I never even noticed it was up in the 90's there. I virtually walked everywhere I went in Denver - miles every day - and didn't even break a sweat. Here? You can go outside my door in the daytime any day this week, stand perfectly still, and your clothes will be wet in 5 minutes!

10-K
06-21-2011, 13:09
I'll take AC over being hot any day.

skinewmexico
06-21-2011, 15:38
It's been over 100 here for the last 14 days, with 8 of those over 105. My A/C went out last Sunday, and I miss it dearly. I just don't see how you would ever get used to sleeping when it is midnight, and still 90 degrees. On the plus side, at least I'm not in Houston.

HiKen2011
06-21-2011, 16:52
It's been over 100 here for the last 14 days, with 8 of those over 105. My A/C went out last Sunday, and I miss it dearly. I just don't see how you would ever get used to sleeping when it is midnight, and still 90 degrees. On the plus side, at least I'm not in Houston.
Amen to that (Houston), I got my new unit today and it's finally cooling off! I love my AC

~Luna~
06-21-2011, 17:16
Living in the humid southeast one comes to appreciates the AC, otherwise you sweat just breathing!

kayak karl
06-21-2011, 17:20
i grew up in a row home in Philly. when it got hot we would camp in the basement. cold concrete floor and my sis and i would make sheet tents. Kool-aid would be in a canteen and we would recook our hot dogs over a make belief fire.( it was red light with sticks around it) we would play board games till dark.:) the Phillies game would always be playing in the background from my Mom's transistor radio. THANKS hiKen2011 for reminding me of this. :)

HiKen2011
06-21-2011, 18:57
You're welcome! Sounds like you guys had a fun time

Pony
06-21-2011, 19:00
89* with 95% humidity. And i'm in ohio. hot and humid sucks, glad I don't live in georgia.

HiKen2011
06-21-2011, 19:02
89* with 95% humidity. And i'm in ohio. hot and humid sucks, glad I don't live in georgia.

Was 96 here today with high (not sure the exact number) humidity as well! For ME, unbearable!

The Solemates
06-21-2011, 19:08
Was 96 here today with high (not sure the exact number) humidity as well! For ME, unbearable!

thats not unbearable. last year we had several days when the heat index reached 130. you read that right folks.

Whiskyjo
06-21-2011, 19:22
I know alot of folks don't like the hot summers or freezing winters and myself sitting on a hot tractor rolling up hay in the 90s it's hot so I think about the paving crews and roofers putting on dark shingles, workers in a smelting plant or huffing up a steep mountain with too much dang weight in my backpack and then I count my blessings.

HiKen2011
06-21-2011, 20:03
thats not unbearable. last year we had several days when the heat index reached 130. you read that right folks.

Check my post carefully, I said "For ME unbearable"

10-K
06-21-2011, 21:50
Check my post carefully, I said "For ME unbearable"

Careful, if Mags sees this he'll correct you. :)

HiKen2011
06-21-2011, 21:56
Careful, if Mags sees this he'll correct you. :)

Oh yeh, I forgot about him.:eek:

BodieWalker
06-24-2011, 10:34
I don't mind the heat at all when I'm outside (I do like AC in my home of course). I actually prefer it. I can cool down very quickly, just wet my bandana and I'm good to go. However, it takes me a very long time to warm up when I am cold so I DESPISE cold weather. I'd rather be hot than cold any day.
To those of you who hate the heat, do you find you can warm up easier than you can cool down?

vamelungeon
06-24-2011, 10:50
Well, it was only in the 80's here yesterday but the humidity was through the roof. I had some outside work to do for a few hours and ended up with heat exhaustion. I love my AC. I remember as a child visiting my mother's family in Mississippi where it was quite a bit more hot and humid than here in SWVA, and what everyone went through to try to get cool.

HiKen2011
06-24-2011, 11:53
Well, it was only in the 80's here yesterday but the humidity was through the roof. I had some outside work to do for a few hours and ended up with heat exhaustion. I love my AC. I remember as a child visiting my mother's family in Mississippi where it was quite a bit more hot and humid than here in SWVA, and what everyone went through to try to get cool.

Ah, remember those days, my granny had no air and cooked on a wood stove! So hot in the house you could cook on a chair! How'd they do it! We have became soft I suppose! Heat really affects me, having had a mild heat stroke as a child, ever since cannot take the heat (direct sun) or high humidity. Wish I could, I'd get out more this time of year! I prefer the fall and winter. Cold don't seem to bother me.