PDA

View Full Version : Shaw's!

The Edge
06-20-2011, 06:37
You guys must stay at Shaw's! Good, clean, great price, awesome breakfast. Bunk Rooms, Single Rooms, Private Rooms, Double rooms, Showers, laundry Loundge, Shuttles and more!!!!!!

DLANOIE
06-20-2011, 07:37
I stayed there in 2006 when Buddy was running it. I dont know if he still is or not. I spent three days there waiting for water levels to receed so I could continue SOBO. A most excellent experience.

And my first son was concieved there,hehehe.

Lone Wolf
06-20-2011, 07:45
spent a few dozen nights at Shaw's over the years. sure do miss Keith, Pat and Jr.

Jim Adams
06-20-2011, 16:48
JR's birthday was last week but I don't have a current address for him.

geek

Trailbender
06-20-2011, 17:17
Stayed there on my 2010 thru, nice place and good food.

WingedMonkey
06-20-2011, 23:48
JR's birthday was last week but I don't have a current address for him.

geek

Where is Jr.? I still can't imagine him grown up.

WalkinHome
06-21-2011, 13:54
I do not know his address but he lives right across the street from Shaw's so I think if you sent him whatever "care of" Shaws, it would get to him.

The Edge
06-22-2011, 19:50
I second that

CherrypieScout
06-28-2011, 18:49
My sister and I are hiking from Monson to Katahdin in a couple of weeks. I'm a section hiker, completed GA - Duncannon, PA; my sister has never back packed. She has been physically preparing for the hike, has all her gear together. What if any are the very difficult parts? I've read about stream crossings - that will be new for me. We are planning on taking 11-12 days to complete the journey. Already have White House Wilderness Landing in our plans. Any climbs similar to Dragon's Tooth? We are hopefully preparing for the bugs. She lived in Maine for 5 years so is used to the weather and black flies, mosquitoes. I'm not, bringing a head net thing and long pants. thanks for any input. I've copied the Whiteblaze At data info.

CherrypieScout
07-28-2011, 21:20
Now I know

WalkinHome
07-29-2011, 11:56
Thanks for sharing LOL.

Cathy53
01-14-2013, 14:45
Hi, My name is Cathy and I am Pat Shaw's daughter-in-law. Pat lives with my husband, Paul and I. She is struggling with lung cancer. We don't know how much time she has. We take it one day at a time. She is in hospice care. I was hoping to get the word out to some of the hikers who stayed at Shaw's when she and Keith still owned it. It was the best part of her life and I know it was hard for her to let go of the place. It would thrill her to no end to hear from any hikers who stayed there. If you would like to send her a card, the address is RR 1, Box 16A, Chester, OK 73838. If you want to send an email, I would be happy to print it for her. I think what would please her most would be stories that people remember from staying at Shaw's. Something funny or just memorable for any reason. If you know how to reach anyone else who stayed there, please pass this message on. Pat can walk with a walker, but she no longer can get her own meals or do much of anything. She mostly sits and sleeps, although she will sometimes pick up a book and read, or watch a tv program. She still has her sense of humor and very rarely complains of her situation. My email is [email protected]. I hope we will hear from you!

Lone Wolf
01-14-2013, 15:33
please tell her Lone Wolf and Gypsy send their love

WingedMonkey
01-14-2013, 16:11
Gives me a good reason to pull out the boxes of photos and see what I have. I'll always remember her pulling a few of us aside and telling us her "private" stories.

A true trail mother.

Cathy53
01-14-2013, 17:03
Pat says hi! You can email her at [email protected]. She has stage 4 lung cancer and I know she would be thrilled to get a letter.

Quadzilla
01-20-2013, 17:08
I was one of Keith and Pat's first guests way back in 1977 during my first thru-hike. I stayed with them many times over the years and enjoyed their gracious hospitality. Was saddened to learn of Keiths passing a few years or so ago and just as sad to learn about Pat's poor health. I visited with Keith, Jr. over the summer and he is doing well. Shaws Boarding house is up for sale, so I am not sure what the plans are for 2013.

AT Trail Magic
03-02-2013, 21:22
Dawn will be running Shaw's in Monson again in 2013, but it is for sale if anyone's interested. http://mallettrealestate.com/commercial.html The first listing is Shaw's!!!

BirdShooter
07-16-2013, 17:17
I spent two nights at Shaw’s Boarding House before hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness, and another night here after I summited Katahdin in 1994. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw were incredibly kind and are missed.

When Mr. Shaw found out that I hadn’t photographed a moose on the hike, he immediately loaded me in to his truck and took me down the road where - sure enough – a moose stood grazing near a stream

They were great people.

Teacher & Snacktime
07-16-2013, 18:11
I spent two nights at Shaw’s Boarding House before hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness, and another night here after I summited Katahdin in 1994. Mr. and Mrs. Shaw were incredibly kind and are missed.

When Mr. Shaw found out that I hadn’t photographed a moose on the hike, he immediately loaded me in to his truck and took me down the road where - sure enough – a moose stood grazing near a stream

They were great people.

If you were just there, did you get to meet Snacktime and get a trail magic bag? His auntie sent me pictures, but no names.

oops...nevermind...I just read the date of your stay.

Grampie
07-16-2013, 22:46
Pat Shaw passed away this past Feb.

Just Bill
07-16-2013, 23:03
Anyone care to admit that Old Man Shaw took their money playing horseshoes? I stayed there a couple of days and watched that sneaky fella play possum, blame a bad back, old age, and any other thing he could until he got enough money in the pot to play for real. I was laid up with some blisters and had a few slow mornings after breakfast I got to sit with Keith and get to know him a bit- one morning I called him out on the horseshoe games- as his swindling seemed so out of character; "I charge a fair price for beds, a fair price for food, and nothing for hospitality. I'm a fair an honest business person; but... if a fella wants to gamble- that's his own damn problem." And one of my favorites- "..don't pet that dog, he'll bite you in the nuts. I told a hiker last week, but he went an pet the dog, and the dog went and bit his nuts- don't know why Pat makes me keep em, but she does. (Under his breath and shaking his head- "running a damn hostel and got a nut bitter dog") One of the best places period- some of the best people around. One of the biggest character's I've ever met. Maybe a story about Pat's husband isn't much, but maybe you can pass it on. Fond memories (and scandalous stories) make for pleasant conversation.

Grampie
07-17-2013, 08:13
Anyone care to admit that Old Man Shaw took their money playing horseshoes? I stayed there a couple of days and watched that sneaky fella play possum, blame a bad back, old age, and any other thing he could until he got enough money in the pot to play for real. I was laid up with some blisters and had a few slow mornings after breakfast I got to sit with Keith and get to know him a bit- one morning I called him out on the horseshoe games- as his swindling seemed so out of character; "I charge a fair price for beds, a fair price for food, and nothing for hospitality. I'm a fair an honest business person; but... if a fella wants to gamble- that's his own damn problem." And one of my favorites- "..don't pet that dog, he'll bite you in the nuts. I told a hiker last week, but he went an pet the dog, and the dog went and bit his nuts- don't know why Pat makes me keep em, but she does. (Under his breath and shaking his head- "running a damn hostel and got a nut bitter dog") One of the best places period- some of the best people around. One of the biggest character's I've ever met. Maybe a story about Pat's husband isn't much, but maybe you can pass it on. Fond memories (and scandalous stories) make for pleasant conversation.

Keth Shaw was what I would call a damn smart yankee. Those of us who got to know Keth a little better than the average thru hiker who stayed at Shaw's know what I mean.

RockDoc
07-18-2013, 18:07
I love Shaw's breakfasts, but there's tough competition from the Lakeshore house, which has a more traditional restaurant (deserts are to die for).
Nice bag pipers on July 4th some years.

cascader
09-12-2013, 16:47
stayed at Shaw's this August (2013)--still a great place, hospitable, very hiker oriented, good shuttle service, very clean.

ChinMusic
09-12-2013, 17:12
I just spent five, yes five, days at Shaw's, while my wife was supporting my hike. I have nothing but praise for this place. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there.