PDA

View Full Version : Help with 3-day,2-night including Roan Mountain, please.

cycle1963
06-20-2011, 10:44
My 18 y.o. son and I are planning a 3-day on the AT around Roan Mountain in early to mid-August 11. We'll be traveling there in a single vehicle, so route-planning will be made with that as a consideration; open to shuttle use or side-trails for a loop, but would prefer to spend as much time on the AT as we can. Nights will be in a tent. Any recommendations are appreciated, as we're unfamiliar with the area.... start point, end point, campsites, water sources, things not to miss, local resources, whatever-else-comes-to-mind (saw something about a $10 any topping pizza; what a way to finish the trip!). In advance, thanks for your help!
(posted under "Straight Forward" as well, but figure it can't hurt to branch out)

ScottP
06-20-2011, 10:51
Roan mountain and the area immediatly north of it is one of the best spots on the Appalachain Trail. Enjoy :)

A good place to start for info is the Appalachain Long Distance Hiker Association guide-you can pay a small fee to download it online, and print the relevant section.

http://aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

That will tell you parking spots, road crossings, campsites/shelters, water sources, and landmarks for the on-trail section. It will also help you get in touch with local shuttlers.

The normal MO is to park your car at the end of your hike and get a shuttle from there to the beginning of your hike--that way you can schedule & plan your shuttle accuratly, as well as not offend your shullter with trail funk.

cycle1963
06-20-2011, 11:26
Thanks much for the advice and insight, Scott.

Tennessee Viking
06-20-2011, 12:09
Your only side trails for the Roan Mtn area will be the Bluff and Garden trails when you reach Cloudland (high tourist area on the mountain) and Grassy Ridge. Roan High Knob shelter is a interesting quick trip. You can bag the peak summit right in front of the shelter. Definitely go to Grassy Ridge. You will also probably pass the Baa-tany Project goats on the balds.

I would suggest park at Mountian Harbor B&B at 19E. Only safe parking there.
Have them shuttle you back to Iron Mountain Gap to Hughes Gap. Depending on your time first day, you can camp at Cylde Smith shelter or Ashe Gap.

Then will want to make Overmountain Barn a definite campsite.

Egads
06-20-2011, 12:15
How are the flowers looking at Roan Mtn now?

cycle1963
06-20-2011, 14:33
Thank you for the advice, Tennessee. As well, I'm glad to hear a further endorsement to the Mountain Harbor. It's on our list!

jbsbestfan
06-21-2011, 18:26
I recently took my 12 year old scout nephew because he was working on a merit badge. We had Terry from Mountain Harbour take us to carver gap, then we went up to Hoan High Knob on the AT, then back down and northward across the road to set up camp on Grassy Ridge for night 1. This was a short day but we did not get started until 1 p.m. The next day we set up camp at Bradley Gap between big hump and little hump. Finally we hiked out to 19E and walked .3 miles to Mountain Harbour. It was not a real hard trip, but with a 12 year old it was fine for us. Especially in the heat. I have attached pictures of our campsites. The closer up picture is night 2 and the far away picture is night 1. Enjoy your trip, you picked a great area.

cycle1963
06-21-2011, 19:31
I'm now in (email) contact with Mountain Harbour and intend to hire their shuttle. Believe we'll shuttle to Iron Mountain and take it from there, likely use at least one of the campsites you. Thanks much for the rundown and especially for including the campsite pictures!