PDA

View Full Version : Growing sprouts on the trail

Maxwell_Allen
02-03-2005, 10:59
Ive seen several people mention that they grow sprouts in a nalgine bottle while hiking, this sounds like a great way to get some needed vitamins and proteins. Can somebody shed some more light on the subject?

I assume you have to mail drop the seeds (not available on the trail).
Can you rinse them with iodinated water or will that kill them?
If you use untreated water do you worry about giardia?

thanks,
Max

Jaybird
02-03-2005, 12:35
i guess u could do it if youre willing to put in the time & effort....

but, most things that are growing in NALGENE bottles...shouldnt be consumed!
hehehehehehehe!

ALSO, if u have the time to start planting while on the trail...you have time to go into a TRAIL DOWN & get nutrition!

just my observation! :D

Oracle
02-03-2005, 12:41
I'd be very careful growing sprouts on the trail, simply because things can get into your nalgene bottle and grow on the sprouts that you'd rather not consume. Follow standard safety procedures, such as cleaning the bottle out with a sanitizer/disinfectant, and clean your hands or anything else you put in the bottle before you open it, to minimize possible contamination.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2005, 12:43
Ain't there like 2 calories per pound of sprouts. :D

MadAussieInLondon
02-03-2005, 13:04
by sprouts do you mean alfalfa?

Kevin A. Boyce
02-03-2005, 13:08
I came across this a few weeks back, looks interesting...

Backcountry Seed Sprouting Kit

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/PFOShop/product.asp?dept_id=59&ProductID=500400091

I am sure you could rig up your own though, but it is cheap enough. Has anyone used one from this company? I know after a few days of hiking, I really miss greens in my diet.

Catch you later...
KevBoy

orangebug
02-03-2005, 14:00
Well, typically you grow sprouts over 2 days, using a towel or paper towel to hold water and keep them from clumping. It should not be difficult to do, but you probably are only going to benefit from having some extra texture to your hiking diet. While your Nalgene is used as a greenhouse (a ziplock should work just as well), it can't be used for anything else.

I'd rather just carry seeds and nuts to provide the same crunch, fats and better calories.

Oracle
02-03-2005, 14:49
You might also want to look into edible plants along the trail if you're looking to get your greens fix. Plantain and sheep sorrel grow nearly everywhere.