PDA

View Full Version : overcoming fear

hikerboy57
06-20-2011, 15:55
What kind of fears did you have when you firt started hiking and how did you overcome them?
we've discussed argued,name called, and made fun of subjects regarding bears, lightning,getting robbed on the trail, carrying guns, etc., and it brought to mind the reality that many of us have had many fears, both rational and irrational when we first started backpacking. I remember the first night I spent in a tent , imagining every chipmunk or mouse to be an 800 lb bear.a few nights later, I had become comfortable with the sounds of the night and sleep soundly now.
I thought it might be good for some of the more experienced hikers to relate what they can about thier initial fears and how they overcame them.
I still fear ticks.

ekeverette
06-20-2011, 16:20
good question hikerboy.... because i'll be goin solo nxt year,.... and to tell you the truth.... i'm scared. like to hear some of the answers.

hikerboy57
06-20-2011, 16:32
you'll be fine, most of the fears we have are irrational, and go away with experience, but thats where the experience on WB kicks in, so i hope we'll see some worthwhile contributions.

ChinMusic
06-20-2011, 16:40
Fear of ticks is a rational fear. They can affect the rest of your life without you even knowing you've been infected. IMO, most hikers do not do enough to limit their exposure.

I don't know if "fear" covers this but it is often in the back of my mind. "If I fall here, how long will it be before someone comes along to help?"

I guess fear of the pizza place being closed when I get to town is #1.

sbhikes
06-20-2011, 16:48
The first time I solo backpacked, I set up my campsite and a man with wild red hair walked right through my camp, right across the creek and into the bushes. I walked over there to see if there was a trail. I investigated around but there wasn't a trail. Only totally impenetrable brush. I had no idea where he went and he never came back. Maybe he hiked up or down the creek.

In the middle of the night I had dreams that he came back and was standing over me. It was one of those dreams where you think you are awake and you're trying to call out but you can't move and you can't figure out why and in real life you really are trying to call out but because you have sleep paralysis you cannot. I woke myself up trying to call out "who's there!"

I fell back asleep and then I woke myself up again with the same sleep paralysis thing again, but this time I was trying to get up and check my stove canister. I could smell the gas leaking and was trying to check on it. I finally woke myself up trying to move and realized there was no gas smell.

I have never been afraid of bears. Only humans frighten me. I've had a few more times where I had the sleep paralysis thing thinking a man was standing over me. Otherwise, I've never been afraid of noises or bears or whatever typical camping stuff people are afraid of.

Jonnycat
06-20-2011, 17:03
That feeling when the sun is setting, but it's still light enough to see, and you realize that you are not only a mile off of the trail, but likely at least several, if not a dozen, miles away from any other person, and that you have been making a lot of noise up until that point, but now it is dead silent.

Until you hear a branch break off in the distance.

HiKen2011
06-20-2011, 17:57
My greatest fear..........something happening like an accident or God forbid something more serious like a heart attack!:eek: What would I do, just something you-I have to work through. Safer there than most places.:)

hikerboy57
06-20-2011, 18:07
just wanted to mention something that happened over the weekend, where a gunman shot 4 people while robbing a drugstore in Medford NY Sunday Morning. tha man entered and simply started firing.A 17 yr old girl was killed for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A senseless indiscriminate act. Sometimes sh** happens. the point I want to make is that the best way to overcome fears is to confront them.My brother was always afraid of heights until I suggested he come rockclimbing with me. I had him on toprope on a beginners route(5.3) in the Gunks. After he learned to trust the rope(and me), he was able to control his fear and ended up climbing 4 routes that day. He thanked me for taking him, told me its something he would have never tried on his own, and now heclimbs on a regular basis.
Fear is not a bad thing, it helps keep you alive. Its learning to control your fear, and not allowing it to control you thats important. Most of my fears Ive been able to overcome through education and experience.I was afraid of rattlers when I was younger, but once I learned more about them, lost the fear(Im still wary, but not afraid). But those darn ticks....

ChinMusic
06-20-2011, 18:13
My brother was always afraid of heights until I suggested he come rockclimbing with me.
I have a fear of crowds.

And no, I will NOT be going on a side trip to New York City on my future thru.........

There is a reason I gravitated to this hobby.

double d
06-20-2011, 18:21
First night on the trail is alwasy a little tough for me, I hear "everything", from a crazy killer on the loose from the local prison to man eating bears! Any russle of the wind up against my tent at 3:34am and I'll hear it and responds like a man on death row about to be killed. Otherwise, after the first night or two, I'm fine with wonderful night noises of the forest.

Joker4ink
06-20-2011, 18:27
When I first started hiking, I always had someone to go with. When we would see someone solo, we'd think "Man, that guy is crazy! No way I'd ever want to do that. It's just not safe!" Thought was always about personal injury, getting lost, an emergency, etc. Then one day I wanted to hike and there was nobody to go with me. So, I grabbed my bag, poles and boots and decided to try it. I now enjoy going solo and don't so much worry about those things before. Sometimes you just have to emerce yourself in the situation to get over your fears. It worked for me at least.

HiKen2011
06-20-2011, 18:38
When I first started hiking, I always had someone to go with. When we would see someone solo, we'd think "Man, that guy is crazy! No way I'd ever want to do that. It's just not safe!" Thought was always about personal injury, getting lost, an emergency, etc. Then one day I wanted to hike and there was nobody to go with me. So, I grabbed my bag, poles and boots and decided to try it. I now enjoy going solo and don't so much worry about those things before. Sometimes you just have to emerce yourself in the situation to get over your fears. It worked for me at least.

Good point, the ONLY way to overcome your fears is to face them head on.........sometimes easier said than done but still the best way!:sun

BigRing
06-20-2011, 19:47
...definately...sleeping alone on the trail is the most difficult. Sometimes I wake up and worry about the worst, i.e., rabid animals, bears, or ticks crawling on me, but realize that everything is "OK" and go back to sleep. I end up laughing about it to myself the next morning. Facing the fear is definately helpful.

jnanagardener
06-20-2011, 20:23
Great question. My greatest fear about hiking - doing it alone - was actually related to other fears and issues, I just didn't know it. It wasn't until I was on a trip to north Georgia two years ago with my wife and other friends that it happened, at age 40. After a few section hikes here and there over the first couple of days, noone wanted to hike. I decided to take a drive while everyone else was taking a nap. Next thing I know I'm hiking the Hemp Top Trail alone. I hiked about two miles before realizing that the fears of bears or losing the trail had given way to a deep feeling of satisfaction. I returned to Florida and had a great summer, a very solid year of teaching and began a tradition of doing a ten mile solo hike during winter break at nearby Myakka River State Park. By confronting these fears I gained tremendous confidence and found it easier to live in the moment. Just did a four mile solo hike yesterday!

HiKen2011
06-20-2011, 20:47
Great question. My greatest fear about hiking - doing it alone - was actually related to other fears and issues, I just didn't know it. It wasn't until I was on a trip to north Georgia two years ago with my wife and other friends that it happened, at age 40. After a few section hikes here and there over the first couple of days, noone wanted to hike. I decided to take a drive while everyone else was taking a nap. Next thing I know I'm hiking the Hemp Top Trail alone. I hiked about two miles before realizing that the fears of bears or losing the trail had given way to a deep feeling of satisfaction. I returned to Florida and had a great summer, a very solid year of teaching and began a tradition of doing a ten mile solo hike during winter break at nearby Myakka River State Park. By confronting these fears I gained tremendous confidence and found it easier to live in the moment. Just did a four mile solo hike yesterday!

Good for you! Fears are usually unsubstaniated anyway. How many times do worry about a particular thing and it never even happens!

hikerboy57
06-20-2011, 20:50
It was either Churchill or FDR that said "the things I worried most about in life never came to be"

emerald
06-20-2011, 20:51
I'm scared and would like to hear some of the answers.

Bring maps and don't camp where you should expect issues. Most of what you desire to avoid occurs near roads.

When in town, keep your stay brief, mind your manners and travel in the company of others you can trust.

Spokes
06-20-2011, 20:56
I fear:

...running out of water

...not getting a picture of the copperhead before it bites me

...forgetting how to tie a clove hitch

...my food bag falling to the ground at 3:00 in the morning

...a shelter with no mice

...the ATC going bankrupt

...bad weather on my Katahdin summit day

...the AYCE restaurant running out of food

...hitting the post office just after closing time

...the outfitter not having any AquaMira

.. Knorr's will stop making Pasta Sides!

...losing my titanium spoon somewhere on the trail

...no cell phone signal

... accidentally blowing the air horn more than once at White House Landing

...class 5 rapids

...introducing myself by my real name

...wet toilet paper

...slider ziplocks bags

...forgetting how long cheese lasts on the trail

...slick rocks in New Hampshire

...running out of Vitamin I

...all the people in Kent, CT (they just don't know how to smile)

...not having a resource like Whiteblaze.net

...finally being able to follow the logic behind matty's posts.

to be continued.....

HiKen2011
06-20-2011, 20:56
Bring maps and don't camp where you should expect issues. Most of what you desire to avoid occurs near roads.

When in town, keep your stay brief, mind your manners and travel in the company of others you can trust.

Great advice....

johnnybgood
06-20-2011, 21:08
My greatest fear backpacking solo was realized on a recent trip.
On a long day hike and behind schedule I lose the trail and hike the wrong way for about a mile or so before deciding to break out the maps and guide book.
After 15 minutes , I then wound up backtracking to where I knew the trail was.

In the end, I ran out of daylight and wound up cowboy camping under the stars .

As far as sleeping in the great outdoors goes , you're get more comfortable with every backpacking experience.

EJC
06-20-2011, 21:16
I was worried about: getting lost, having a creepy person stalking me, looking like a total newbie to the thru hikers, and dying in my sleep during a huge thunderstorm ( I really hate them).

I didn't have a single fear after my first solo overnight. The blazes were relatively easy to follow, no creepy people to be found, the thru hikers were absolutely amazing and friendly. They were a huge asset and wealth of information. They made me feel proud to be out there, whether it was an overnight or 1000+ miles and they were amazing conversation. A huge thunderstorm rolled in that lasted the entire night and I survived (and slept) just fine despite it.

The biggest key to getting over your fears is to face them and see that things will end up just fine!

emerald
06-20-2011, 21:19
How often do people worry about a particular thing and it never even happens?

Unanticipated incidents are the most difficult kind to avoid.

sbhikes
06-20-2011, 21:44
I have to share that learning about Ultralight backpacking really helped me a lot. I found the highest expression of my own personal creativity in learning about ultralight backpacking. I didn't just buy a bunch of gear, I learned how to make do without things and how to make my gear serve multiple uses. I also learned how to make some of my gear. The result was that I developed a skill of answering any what-if question with a valid answer.

What if I run out of water? I'll hike to the next water.
What if I lose my spoon? I'll make some chopsticks or use something flat as a spoon.
What if I forget my umbrella and have no rain jacket? I'll use my ground sheet.
What if I forget my down jacket? I'll wear my sleeping bag under my windbreaker or else I'll just keep walking.
What if my stove won't work or I run out of fuel? I can make a little stick fire or I can just eat my lunch items for dinner.

What if what if what if? So far I've found an answer to every single gear-related question and I've had to deal with many of the ones I've just written about. This has eased SO many fears it's incredible and totally freeing.

Spokes
06-20-2011, 21:58
What if I lose my spoon? I'll make some chopsticks ...

Last time I tried to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's with chop sticks I got really angry.

kayak karl
06-20-2011, 22:44
i live in a high crime area. i feel safer in the woods then in my apt. walking my dog at 5 am is a test of street smarts and have had the police involved over 20 times.
i fast 36 hours every two weeks, so fear of no food is not a problem.
to me hiking is a vacation, NO FEARS.

DapperD
06-20-2011, 23:09
i live in a high crime area. i feel safer in the woods then in my apt. walking my dog at 5 am is a test of street smarts and have had the police involved over 20 times.
i fast 36 hours every two weeks, so fear of no food is not a problem.
to me hiking is a vacation, NO FEARS.I thought this was going to be one of those "Who Am I" riddles:D.

kayak karl
06-20-2011, 23:41
I thought this was going to be one of those "Who Am I" riddles:D.
i just live near Matty LOL

ChinMusic
06-20-2011, 23:50
i just live near Matty LOL

OMG, THAT is a major fear..............understanding Matty.

kayak karl
06-20-2011, 23:53
OMG, THAT is a major fear..............understanding Matty.
we are their fear. :)

ChinMusic
06-21-2011, 00:27
This thread is in need of a good Matty RantŪ.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/Matty.jpg

Trailweaver
06-21-2011, 03:07
The thing I fear the most is becoming really, really sick on the trail or getting hurt and not being able to help myself. I've done both, unfortunately - been sick and gotten hurt - but was able to hike out after an injury. It was empowering, doing that, so it helped me realize that I can, and did, take care of the emergency myself. I just have to go with the faith that I could do it again if I had to.

ekeverette
06-21-2011, 13:44
fear...... false. expectations... appearing.... real....... learned that in a.a.

10-K
06-21-2011, 14:43
Two things that a hiker has to overcome is fear and being lonely. For me, fear subsides as I get acclimated to being on the trail. Loneliness is more challenging ... sometimes just taking a break to call home helps tremendously.

LDog
06-21-2011, 14:49
Lyme - My sister is suffering from a too-long un-diagnosed bout - So I am over sensitized to it ... I feel crawly after hiking in the woods ... However, I am as prepared as I can be to deal with ticks, and the possibility of contracting it.

[yeeesh!]

pdcollins6092
06-21-2011, 15:24
I guess my fear is not something happening to me on the trail, but something happening to someone in my family while on the trail and not being there or being able to get back quick enough..

English Stu
06-21-2011, 16:05
Bill Bryson makes the point in his AT book that if you draw a 2000 mile line anywhere across the US you will have more crime on that line than on the AT. Often on the AT the next person to you is miles away. Not so in NYC or LA.

Silverstone
06-21-2011, 19:30
I'm not sure that I have too many of the 'normal' fears one experiences out on the trail. I've been camping and canoeing and sleeping in the woods ever since I can remember. And I don't fear being alone, either. In fact, right now, I prefer to hike alone, only because I don't want to slow other people down. And whenever I *do* go hiking with other people, it's kind of annoying because they're always in front of me and I can never take decent pictures of the upcoming trail/hill/blowdown/obstacle, unless they stop and step out of the way.

My fear, as it relates to the AT, is that something silly like blisters or shin splints or a mad case of rump rash would drive me off the trail. I'm not too worried about crazy people out there--I can be intimidating myself if I need to be, nor am I afraid of wildlife. (Although, I'd rather see any snakes before they see me).

My biggest fear is failure--once I start, I do not want to stop. Especially since everyone I know would immediately know that I pussed out.

Rain Man
06-21-2011, 22:29
fear...... false. expectations... appearing.... real....... learned that in a.a.

That's a very astute observation! Thanks for sharing.

Rain:sunMan

garlic08
06-21-2011, 22:56
One of the wisest sayings I've heard in relation to backpacking is that your pack reflects your fears. The more you fear, the more you carry. Overcoming fears is a critical step to lightening your load (if that's a goal). It's also important to enjoying the trip (and that should be a goal).

I met a young woman at the beginning of a trail in the North Cascades, as I was hiking out. She started asking about bears, and it was obvious she was petrified of them. She also said she was on the trail to confront her fear. I knew I could do very little to comfort her, because I had just passed a huge pile of bear scat. So I didn't even try, wished her luck, and a few minutes later she ran past me on the way back to her car. Phobias are very real and not to be trifled with.

sbhikes
06-21-2011, 23:21
Last time I tried to eat a pint of Ben & Jerry's with chop sticks I got really angry.
I think if you are anywhere where you can buy Ben & Jerry's you can also get a spoon.

I had my spoon break while on the trail. There was some guy parked in an RV at the next road crossing. I asked him if he had any plastic spoons and he gave me one. Seems like anything you need you can find out on the trail.

Windcatcher
06-22-2011, 13:06
My fears aren't about what is out there on the AT. They're about not getting to that point where I set foot on the trail and head north. I'm there in 2014....I hope. Every time I get the opportunity to get outside it's not far enough away and it never lasts long enough to really get away from the daily grind.

ekeverette
06-22-2011, 13:42
fear...... means: false/ expectations/ appearing/ real /...... heard that in a.a. wish i could use it!

weary
06-23-2011, 12:25
We all fear the unknown. But quite quickly the unknowns become knowns and the fear disappears. All those bugs, people, and critters -- or lack thereof -- become routine after a few days on the trail.

mudhead
06-23-2011, 18:57
Any russle of the wind up against my tent at 3:34am and I'll hear it and responds like a man

who needs to get up and have coffee.:)

Monkeywrench
06-23-2011, 19:17
For me, the further away from the trail-head and into the woods I get, the more comfortable I feel.

ZeroC
06-23-2011, 20:17
I have a fear of crowds.

And no, I will NOT be going on a side trip to New York City on my future thru.........

There is a reason I gravitated to this hobby.

Same reason for me too.

But starting out, all the noises of animals scurrying around at night does take some getting used to, it's nice when it rains so you can't hear any of that stuff. Hang your food far away and learn how to identify game trails/paths so you stay off/away from them, nothing like a deer running past or through your tent at 2am. Unless you like having a jolt and racing heart beat.

Country Roads
06-24-2011, 18:23
Falling (which I do a lot); Lightening. Other than that, I would rate a few things more as being cautious: road crossings, "strangers" at the shelters (people obviously not hikers), ticks for sure, being careful where I step (rattlers and copperheads).
I think I like the fact that a lot of stuff in the woods is not in my control; I actually find it less stressful, because it is what it is.

LDog
06-24-2011, 20:34
I just started reading "As Far as the Eye Can See" about David Brill's 18977 thru. His first chapter was about fear. Opening with the night he spent in a ferocious storm four days into his trek that topple trees around him. He spoke to how his fears and insecurities manifested themselves in how overloaded his pack was - despite knowing better. His insecurities as to his strength, agility and his fear that he would be unable to keep up with his partner. How his pedometer allowed him to determine every night how many miles he had to walk to get to Katahdin. And, how facing these fears and insecurities, he overcame them, stripped away his excess baggage both literally and figuratively, and became stronger.

CowHead
06-24-2011, 23:34
the only fear that I still have is waking up with a snake in my sleeping bag, cold, heat, storms, bugs, bears, and anything else no issue and when I'm hiking and see a snake no issues I have a nice bivy sack that I like to used but without the 4-walls of my tent I feel a little leery. Also I don't even know if this has every happen but that's fear the unknown

CowHead
06-24-2011, 23:44
over come lyme disease about two week after being in the woods I go see my doctor and get tested he knows I like playing in the woods

House of Payne
06-25-2011, 10:11
Since my Boy Scout time as a kid the rule of thumb was the buddy system, and to this day I try to stick with it (my son and I backpack alot). It's actually a good rule of thumb being in remote places. Today I will day hike solo, of course when I let someone know where I am for the day. And in 2014 I will hike the AT solo, but with that I know I will run into and share space with many other hikers.

As far as fear is concerned, I never really had any in the backcountry, even growing up. I know and respect whats out there very much. However, all that said, I try not to be complacent with my surroundings. I always have a knife within my hands distance and I always run scenarios through my head to be prepared.
Now, about the movie 127 hours...**** happens! He is a cocky soloist that gets caught up in a bad situation. I did not see the movie and I'm not sure I want to. I work in Law enforcement now and as it is with this work I see every imagineable thing. To have my mind with thoughts of that (the movie) would bother me a bit.
anyone else?

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 10:20
When I saw the movie, it was easy for me to envision something similar happening to me, as I do hike solo a lot.Usually when Im alone, my senses are heightened, and look to avoid as many hazards as Im aware. I remember coming within a few inches of stepping on a rattler, and cursing myself later for not being more attentive. But like you said, sh** happens. What I got more out of from the movie was the will to survive being strong enough to actually cut ones arm off to escape.Hes no hero, but I dont know I could have done the same.

hikingshoes
06-25-2011, 11:20
It was GF first over night camping on the "AT" on top of Max Patch. The wind wasnt blowing that much as we hiked to the top,but at 12 that night it picked up(LOL) and the GF get me up and ask me did you hear that. i layed there listing to it... it sound like something was eatting thru my tent.lol, I got up checked it out"It was the WIND"LOL. It was all good for that point on,hiked back down to the car then CRACKER BARREL!!!! I'd never seen my little lady eat like she did that morning. I plan on doing my thru-hike with Stick in 2013. I Dont like hiking alone,myabe its due to fear but maybe ill get over once i start to hike alone if stick doent get to go.HYOH

doritotex
06-25-2011, 11:48
Since my Boy Scout time as a kid the rule of thumb was the buddy system, and to this day I try to stick with it (my son and I backpack alot). It's actually a good rule of thumb being in remote places. Today I will day hike solo, of course when I let someone know where I am for the day. And in 2014 I will hike the AT solo, but with that I know I will run into and share space with many other hikers.

As far as fear is concerned, I never really had any in the backcountry, even growing up. I know and respect whats out there very much. However, all that said, I try not to be complacent with my surroundings. I always have a knife within my hands distance and I always run scenarios through my head to be prepared.
Now, about the movie 127 hours...**** happens! He is a cocky soloist that gets caught up in a bad situation. I did not see the movie and I'm not sure I want to. I work in Law enforcement now and as it is with this work I see every imagineable thing. To have my mind with thoughts of that (the movie) would bother me a bit.
anyone else?So....your "rule of thumb" is the buddy system, but you are hiking solo in 2014? You never saw the movie, "127 Hours"...but you call him a "cocky soloist"?

LDog
06-25-2011, 12:13
Life is complex ...

Missadventure
06-25-2011, 12:43
What kind of fears did you have when you firt started hiking and how did you overcome them?
we've discussed argued,name called, and made fun of subjects regarding bears, lightning,getting robbed on the trail, carrying guns, etc., and it brought to mind the reality that many of us have had many fears, both rational and irrational when we first started backpacking. I remember the first night I spent in a tent , imagining every chipmunk or mouse to be an 800 lb bear.a few nights later, I had become comfortable with the sounds of the night and sleep soundly now.
I thought it might be good for some of the more experienced hikers to relate what they can about thier initial fears and how they overcame them.
I still fear ticks.

I've been picking at the AT on day trips over the past four years and having a great time. In the last two years, I have been mostly hiking solo. I have had many people, including my adult children, try to scare the crap out of me, and warn me about going alone. I sometimes get to the trailhead to start, and remember some of their warnings. Fear can paralyze you if you let it. You have to think positive, and move yourself forward. Only once did I turn around and not hike, but that was because I had a bad feeling about the weather - turns out there was a tornado in the area later that day, so my gut instinct was right that day.
At age 57, I like to think I am sensible, and aware of risks. I always make someone aware of my itinerary and expected time frame. Some things you can't predict or control - yes, I might get sick or injured, but like others have mentioned, the streets of my city can be more hazardous than the trail, and a hell of a lot scarier. If the unexpected or unpleasant happens, you just have to deal with it, but that goes for anything in life, not just on the trail.

kayak karl
06-25-2011, 13:05
Life is complex ...
Life is simple :)

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 13:18
Life is simple :)Life isbetter than death.

WingedMonkey
06-25-2011, 13:26
Life isbetter than death.

Prove it....

hikerboy57
06-25-2011, 13:37
Prove it....I have yet to have a dead person argue with this line of thinking.Although death seems to last longer.

House of Payne
06-25-2011, 17:10
So....your "rule of thumb" is the buddy system, but you are hiking solo in 2014? You never saw the movie, "127 Hours"...but you call him a "cocky soloist"?

I know what I want to say here but I'm not going to.

Dogwood
06-25-2011, 22:15
I keep my head in the game by responding to faith, love, hope, patience, knowledge, and wisdom rather than LETTING my mind(thoughts and beliefs), heart, emotions, and spirit be ruled by fear! Do that not only in your hikes but also by adopting those attributes as your life's goals and you will not only be a better hiker but a better person reaping great rewards not only for yourself but paying it forward to all those in your environment!

Dogwood
06-25-2011, 23:09
How do I overcome fears? First off, I DO NOT entertain thoughts of fear! If I find myself in fear I catch my thoughts. I DO NOT ALLOW myself to unnecessarily dwell on worst case or most negative scenarios! I change my thoughts to something more empowering rather than paralyzing, as fear often leads. HOWEVER, that DOES NOT mean I walk around ignorantly pie-in-the-sky optimistic with my head in the sand either! I move forward operating in wisdom, or I like to think I do, or at least try to do!

I hear prospective thru-hikers say they quit their hikes because the hike was boring or no longer fun. I DO NOT LET myself entertain those types of thoughts! There exists SO SO SO VERY MUCH on a hike that I can CHOOSE to view as fascinating, enlightening, healthy, fun, entertaining, challenging, self-actualizing, etc that not only I CAN let flow into me but flow out of me that will positively enhance the universe! Yes, I said universe!

I think about all the men and women, some quite young, who, DESPITE THEIR FEARS, CHOSE to face/overcome/deal with their fear in war time situations to serve their country or cause or make a difference! How did they do it?

hikerboy57
06-26-2011, 11:16
One of the best ways to control fears is thru proper planning.Knowing the area you want to hike, have contingency plans for weather, etc.,learning about potential bear problems, learning how to preotet yur food when necessary, and learning about local wildlifes natural habits and tendencies. Knowledge is power. But the best fear reducer is experience. the more time you spend sleeping under the stars,the more times you effectively deal with major and minor crises that arise, as you build confidence in your own survival skills, you get to the point you feel more comfortable sleeping without a roof over your head in a different place every night!!!!

Wizard 2009
06-26-2011, 21:08
"...all the people in Kent, CT (they just don't know how to smile)"

AWWWW Come-on Spokes...we're not all THAT bad :)

Uncle Walkie
06-26-2011, 22:37
two fears:

one is snakes. a bit irrational, but its there...or perhpas its just a "healthy respect" for them?..lol
when I was a teenager my uncle told me that if you pee in a big circle around the area where you are going to sleep that snakes woon't cross that line. I did it for a couple of years camping with him and I suppose he secretly laughed behind my back...as you are now...don't worry, as an adult I dont do that anymore, unless I have the shelter to myself (..hehehhe...just kidding dont freak out on me)

two: trouble makers or those nefarious folks who aren't hikers but are found from time to time where there is a nearby road. I make sure I make camp several miles from a road crossing, or at least in a stealthy location

HiKen2011
06-26-2011, 22:45
two fears:

one is snakes. a bit irrational, but its there...or perhpas its just a "healthy respect" for them?..lol
when I was a teenager my uncle told me that if you pee in a big circle around the area where you are going to sleep that snakes woon't cross that line. I did it for a couple of years camping with him and I suppose he secretly laughed behind my back...as you are now...don't worry, as an adult I dont do that anymore, unless I have the shelter to myself (..hehehhe...just kidding dont freak out on me)

two: trouble makers or those nefarious folks who aren't hikers but are found from time to time where there is a nearby road. I make sure I make camp several miles from a road crossing, or at least in a stealthy location

On snakes, I have heard that garlic or garlic powder is a deterent, anyone know?

LDog
06-26-2011, 23:41
Pretty sure yer confusing snakes with vampires ...

HiKen2011
06-27-2011, 00:22
Pretty sure yer confusing snakes with vampires ...

Ha Ha good one! Watching a show recently (that exterminator show) and he used a garlic spray to ward off snakes??????????

Stats 2012
06-27-2011, 00:30
I really thought "sleeping in a tent/hammock/bivy during a major thunderstorm with lightning and strong winds" would have made the list more frequently.

Papa D
06-27-2011, 08:31
The things that people fear the most in the "front-country" are really subordinate to things that actually tend to cause problems. Poisonous snakes and bears are things people ask me about all the time. I've hiked thousands of miles and only had a handful of run-ins with each - I have literally stepped on a timber rattler which in itself is rare in the extreme - he / she let me know it with a buzzy rattle but no strike. I also see bears on occasion - they are sort of like big raccoons (they are related) - I love bears and wish their population well but from a hiker standpoint, they are sort of like raccoons - things to be planned for and avoided but not really a danger (in about 44 of the 48 states and all of the AT, at least). The scary things are the less thought of - TICKS for example - if you just carefully check for ticks every day though - this fear can easily be overcome. Falling down and getting hurt - well, I do this a lot (maybe not the hurt part) - 99.99% of the time, you just get up and go. Sketchy people are another one but as a hiker, you are probably faster than they are. Blisters are maybe the biggest item I worry about - you really have to stay on top of foot issues - after a week or so, this issue gets to be less of a problem. The point I try to make is that the less obvious and less scary things are the things that can get you - be careful with these things and generally mindful of the others and you'll be fine. A little flask of whisky also helps with things that go bump in the night.

Papa D
06-27-2011, 08:36
The things that people fear the most in the "front-country" are really subordinate to things that actually tend to cause problems.  Poisonous snakes and bears are things people ask me about all the time.  I've hiked thousands of miles and only had a handful of run-ins with each - I have literally stepped on a timber rattler which in itself is rare in the extreme - he / she let me know it with a buzzy rattle but no strike.  I also see bears on occasion - they are sort of like big raccoons (they are related) - I love bears and wish their population well but from a hiker standpoint, they are sort of like raccoons - things to be planned for and avoided but not really a danger (in about 44 of the 48 states and all of the AT, at least).  The scary things are the less thought of - TICKS for example - if you just carefully check for ticks every day though - this fear can easily be overcome. Falling down and getting hurt - well, I do this a lot (maybe not the hurt part) - 99.99% of the time, you just get up and go.  Sketchy people are another one but as a hiker, you are probably faster than they are.  Blisters are maybe the biggest item I worry about - you really have to stay on top of foot issues - after a week or so, this issue gets to be less of a problem.  The point I try to make is that the less obvious and less scary things are the things that can get you - be careful with these things and generally mindful of the others and you'll be fine.  A little flask of whisky also helps with things that go bump in the night.

moldy
06-29-2011, 22:09
I spent a day a Neels Gap watching the Spring Thru-hiker ritual of having them go through your pack. I think that you can tell what each person fears by what he thinks he needs for a thru-hike. Excessive amounts of navagational aids....fears getting lost, excessive amounts of food.... clothing.....medical supplies.....hygene items.....security equipment......entertainment equipment or items. It all points to a fear. If this is true, that you pack to your fears then I must have been afraid of starving to death for I had twice as much food as I needed and freezing to death for I had a far too large a sleeping bag.

longroad853
06-29-2011, 23:21
******aliens******

ChinMusic
06-29-2011, 23:24
******aliens******

That would be the Arizona Trail.........

garlic08
06-30-2011, 08:37
The things that people fear the most in the "front-country" are really subordinate to things that actually tend to cause problems....

Not only subordinate, but pretty much inversely related. I once saw an article in Backpacker mag listing hikers' fears. At the top were large mammal attacks, snake bites and such. Slips and falls were at the bottom. Juxtaposed with this list was another one showing causes of actual rescues. Slips and falls were at the top of that list, and, you guessed it, large mammal attack and snake bites were at the bottom.

As an aside, when I was a volunteer firefighter, as much as we trained for scene safety, it was also drilled into us that the number one and two killers of firefighters in the US are heart attacks and traffic accidents.

Smooth & Wasabi
06-30-2011, 09:18
I think that the best advice about fears actually out on the trail or in the woods has been said, just face it. My fight or flight response still kicks in a bit when I am sleeping alone in the woods and hear animals and everytime I ecounter a large Black Bear or Moose who doesn't want to get out of the trail, especially during the moose rut when they are so unpredictable. As many have said people can definately be the most scary. My most nervous AT experience was in a hotel room in Buena Vista when a large group of very intoxicated and rowdy people pulled up basically to my door in the middle of the night and proceeded to party obnoxiously.

Traildog & Tbone
09-04-2011, 21:51
First post. Hi all! Fear of the unknown is the greatest fear, but the more you hike the more you know. Also my hiking partner Tbone getting hurt or me getting hurt & not being able to care for the lil guy (he is a rott/hound mix).

Snap Shot
09-04-2011, 22:38
I still fear ticks.

I would have to say my greatest fear I've found about myself is my imagination. To overcome that fear, I just do it. Example: getting out of the tent or shelter at 4:00 am to go potty! It's one's imagination that does the greatest harm. As Christ tells us, they can hurt our bodies, but what can they do to our souls? To die is to gain. What fear is there in that then?

keepinitsimple
09-04-2011, 22:56
Tics- I hear you. For me, if my ***** is all together- emotionally and spiritually speaking- then my fears are usually in check as well.

When I am twisted up in those regards I am a mess everywhere.

Fear is an inside job, so looking inside for an answer is reasonable.

This is true for me in life period- on the AT, at a Dr. appointment, with the family, in my car...anywhere.

Ladytrekker
09-05-2011, 08:48
I don't like hiking alone but I am Ok until night time then I get uncomfortable trying to kick this. I use to hate snakes but like above read about them now I have a respestful curiousity which is good because I have seen many snakes while hiking almost stepped on a copperhead, saw a huge moccasin in strike position and several rattlesnakes so I had to get over that fear quick or stay out of the woods and that was not an option. But I do fear humans more than animals which is sad. I work in a Medical Examiner's Office and I see all the bad stuff we had 12 homicides in August and people kill unprovoked all the time I know that my fears of camping alone should be unfounded, however, I get that uneasy feeling especially when I come across people that are creepy I like to have people with me I guess I have that safety in numbers mindset. Maybe I need a trail therapist. LOL.

beaudetious
09-05-2011, 14:35
I have two specific hiking related fears: mice in shelters (which is why I carry a hammock now) and the feeling I get when I'm dropped off at a trailhead by myself ("What the hell am I thinking? Am I really doing this?").

birdygal
09-05-2011, 20:18
I watched too many horror movies over the years, Being in the woods at night has always been hard for me and I have lived with woods all around me for the last 5 yrs , I can only see a neighbors light in the winter, It has gotten better I just got to the point where I can actually hike by myself without being afraid in the daytime

Papa D
09-05-2011, 21:42
I think I'll tell a funny story. A few years back, I decided to go (as I often do) on a solo winter backpacking trip in NC. It was a nice Sunday night, cool and windy about 10 pm and I was going to start the trip just car camping and hiking out the next morning. I drove my Subaru about 6 miles to the end of a not often traveled forest service road and parked. Outside it was about 35 or 40 degrees but the heat was on in the car and I was wearing shorts, crocs and a t-shirt. My backpack, a duffel and a box of gear were in the back of the wagon (where I was going to sleep). I shucked my clothing (all of it but the crocs) because I was getting in the back to put on long johns and a down jacket and threw them on the passenger seat. Next, I hit the unlock button, threw the keys on the driver seat and opened the driver door and got out to walk around to open the back. Once behind the car, I realized two things at once 1) I must not have hit the unlock button, and 2) Oh shyt, the wind is blowing the driver door shut. So, there I was, in the cold, 5 or 6 miles (at least) from a paved road on a sunday night, naked (except crocs), cold with the wind picking up, no headlamp, and no way to get into my car. I was totally fu*k&d! I decided that I had to break a window and eventually dislodged a big rock from the roadside - this was hard - no rocks when you need one. Anyway, I ended up hurling this rock at my beautiful Subbie's windows but the damn thing would not break. I tried for 30 minutes and I was really getting desperate. I was running out of ideas. I decided to fool around with the lock on the passenger door and started just pulling on the handle - pretty hard - mad, I guess. I noticed (in the dim starlight) that the handle housing was starting to move. Using fingers I started to gain a little purchase on the housing and in about 5 minutes was able to pull it out of the door, reach inside the door (which cut up my arm a little bit - not bad) and was able to work the rods that open the door latch. 3 minutes later, I was in. I enjoyed a little wine, a good night's sleep and went on my trip the next day (a little later than planned). Of all the scary stuff I've encountered in the many miles I've traveled, this is the scariest thing that ever happened to me in the woods. - funny as hell now!

jlo
09-06-2011, 00:45
I was scared to death of bears. I got over it by running into bears and realizing that they really do run away when they see/hear you :)
I also slept with earplugs because I though every falling acorn was Yogi coming to eat me.

jlo
09-06-2011, 00:48
Awesome story, Papa D!

wcgornto
09-06-2011, 01:04
I won't solo hike in the back country where I live. Of course most of it's back country in Alaska. Grizzly bears attack groups far, far less frequently than solo hikers / campers.