PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Lasson Backpack

Freedom Walker
06-20-2011, 18:01
About four years ago I saw this pack at a yard sale. Always on the look for gear, I grabbed it up and asked how much. They said ten bucks. It appeared to have never been used and I thought I found a gem. It is a great pack, but weighs over 7 pounds. Of course it has been discontinued, but it feels great on my back as I have used it for training. I also have a Golite pack which is what i will always be using. I am curious as to why Gregory made such a HEAVY pack. Its volume is about 4500ci, so it was not a huge pack. I read some older reviews and those guys loved it. They were carrying heavy loads though.

restless
06-20-2011, 19:04
Up until a few years ago, Gregory set the standard for quality in backpack craftsmanship. Wayne Gregory and his team produced some of the best packs made. Lightweight backpacking had not made the impact that it has now, and Gregory packs were relatively easy to find in most outdoor retailers. While their packs were heavy, especially so by todays standards,they were durable. The first internal frame pack I owned was a Gregory Shasta which I think was close to 6000ci. Over the years, I have owned a Denali Pro which is their largest pack. Currently, I own a Reality, which IMHO, was one of the top two packs ever produced, and I also own a Wind River, a discontinued model that clocks in at over 6000ci. For $10? I'll give ya $15!!!! You got your moneys worth.

Freedom Walker
06-20-2011, 19:49
Up until a few years ago, Gregory set the standard for quality in backpack craftsmanship. Wayne Gregory and his team produced some of the best packs made. Lightweight backpacking had not made the impact that it has now, and Gregory packs were relatively easy to find in most outdoor retailers. While their packs were heavy, especially so by todays standards,they were durable. The first internal frame pack I owned was a Gregory Shasta which I think was close to 6000ci. Over the years, I have owned a Denali Pro which is their largest pack. Currently, I own a Reality, which IMHO, was one of the top two packs ever produced, and I also own a Wind River, a discontinued model that clocks in at over 6000ci. For $10? I'll give ya $15!!!! You got your moneys worth.

I actually have 6 packs, three came from yard sales. When i got the Lasson, I looked for it on the web and the prices ranged from $279 to $319 I so was very excited to find this one even if it was an older model. I hold on to them so if some of my buddies want to join in on a weekend hike I can loan them a pack that I don't mind getting abused.

JAK
06-20-2011, 20:13
My theory is that a 7 pound 4500ci pack is a marketing compromise. The quality design and construction is there, but the overweight fabric is simply because most people at that time would not pay as much for a 7 pound pack as they would for a 3 pound pack, even though a 3 pound pack is better.