PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good list of hiking clothing?

ParkourTraceur
06-20-2011, 19:28
pair of convert pants
t shirt
long sleeve shirt
patagonia fleece
long under wear
wool socks 2 pair and 2 pair of regular long socks
pair of salomon boots
rain paints and rain jacket
2 pair of underwear boxers
maybe a poncho

is this a good list? anything else i shoudl add/discard?

ParkourTraceur
06-20-2011, 19:29
im looking at going SOBO in june in 2011 or possibly nobo in march if i cant find a few partners for a SOBO hike.

ParkourTraceur
06-20-2011, 19:36
I forgot to add hat and ski mask blacava or whatever you call it.. wool gloves,,

JAK
06-20-2011, 20:22
Its a good start. You will soon find out what you can do without. I would suggest not having two of the same of everything, even socks, other than left and right. This allows you to better determine what works best. Also, you should be able to layer everything if neccessary for the coldest days, and that doesn't work so well if you have two of the same in the same size. Instead of mitts or gloves in summer you can wear a pair of socks on your hands to dry them out. Balaclava is always a good idea though, worth its weight even in summer, allowing other layers and sleeping bag to be a little lighter. Learn to wash and dry as you go.

ScottP
06-20-2011, 21:57
partners are not needed.

I'm not saying that I'm the smartest hiker, but when was through new england around this time of year I didn't have any clothing other than a windbreaker, a hat, socks, and a kilt, including what I was wearing. I seem to have an absurd tolerance for cold though, YMMV.

Hooch
06-20-2011, 22:18
pair of convert pants
t shirt
long sleeve shirt
patagonia fleece
long under wear
wool socks 2 pair and 2 pair of regular long socks
pair of salomon boots
rain paints and rain jacket
2 pair of underwear boxers
maybe a poncho

is this a good list? anything else i shoudl add/discard?You're the only one who knows what you need, but I'd pare this list down to:

1 pair convertible pants
T-shirt
Long underwear (merino wool or synthetic base layer)
3 pairs socks
Boots
Rain Jacket/Pants
*Add a down sweater, gloves and a warm hat

You don't need a poncho since you already have a rain jacket/pants. Fleece is heavy, so don't take it. You don't need a long sleeve shirt, since you'll have one in your base layer that you can use. Try not to duplicate items, you'll save weight and pack space.

Hooch
06-20-2011, 22:25
And you don't need no stinkin' underwear. You'll be a lot more comfortable without it.

Serial 07
06-21-2011, 17:17
wow, this is different...

i assume both t and long sleeve are synthetic...like a capilene 3 or something...4 pairs of socks may be a bit extravagant, 3 is all you need...rain coat for the colder months, poncho in the summertime...i would only consider carrying rain pants during the coldest months when the rain isn't refreshing...

Serial 07
06-21-2011, 17:19
And you don't need no stinkin' underwear. You'll be a lot more comfortable without it.

i was gonna say that too, but i wear shorts with a liner, so i gave him a "to each his own" pass on that...commando is the way to go tho...

Snowleopard
06-21-2011, 19:50
i would only consider carrying rain pants during the coldest months when the rain isn't refreshing...
Some of our weather this month in New England has been a bit too refreshing.

This month (June) we've had several days when the temps did not go above 50F here in northern Mass and it was raining. It was colder in northern New England. So ask yourself how your clothing system will do in a heavy rain and temps in the 40s. Above treeline, consider the possibility of 50+ mph winds.

This lousy weather has been mixed with a bit of glorious weather, temps in 70s, low humidity, sunny. Figure on a SOBO, you'll run into both kinds of weather.