PDA

View Full Version : uphill climb

Easyhiker
12-07-2002, 22:49
So they say doing a southbound is harder because you hit the 100 mile wilderness right away and the the whites in your first six weeks, but on a percentage does a southbound hike have more uphill climbs than a northbound?

Hammock Hanger
12-07-2002, 23:21
First off the 100 mile wilderness is basically a piece of cake. I did not find the actual climb to Katahdin super difficult and that was coming straight from a computer desk with no trail legs and a few :D extra pounds, not to mention you do it with a daypack. Now Amicalola is a bit tougher on day one with full pack, day 2 not so bad but 3 and four are a workout. As for everything in-between. It's all a matter of ups and downs, downs and ups..... In my oh so humble opinion I do not feel either out weighs the other. Hammock Hanger

Dirtyoldman
12-08-2002, 05:23
well if the uphills dont equal the down hills then id say you arent finished yet....

DebW
12-08-2002, 14:29
There's a very simple answer to this question. Springer is 3782 ft. Katahdin is 5268 ft. Therefore a north to south hike means that you descent 1486 feet over the course of the hike. A south to north hike means that you ascend 1486 feet. All the ups and downs in the middle don't matter beause they cancel out. :D

Freighttrain
02-03-2005, 12:35
the first day you will have one of the longest vertical climbs of the entire trail...... in 2k i found no outfitters in the first 300 or so miles, and also there were vertually no switchbacks till Vermont...

I loved it........

MOWGLI
02-03-2005, 12:49
the first day you will have one of the longest vertical climbs of the entire trail...... in 2k i found no outfitters in the first 300 or so miles, and also there were vertually no switchbacks till Vermont...

I loved it........

I remember your journal from 2000 Brother Freight Train. We met at the first shelter south of Gorham, NH. How many days did you take to get the the 100 mile wilderness? I like your style.

Little Bear

Lone Wolf
02-03-2005, 12:53
Yup. Starting off a thru-hike SOBO is much tougher than NOBO.Mentally for sure.

rickb
02-03-2005, 13:00
Nope. Southbounders are by definition of stronger mind, body, moral fiber and character. As such, going SOBO is much easier.

Edit: In truth I don't know what was more scarry, the drop the AT took coming off the Tableland, passing the sign that introduces the "100 Mile Wilderness", or the bugs. I can't imagine a similar feeling on Springer ;-). I agree with Wolf.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 13:31
Nope. Southbounders are by definition of stronger mind, body, moral fiber and character. =============================
You're kiddin here ...right Rick ? If not, that seems to be a rather broad generalization.

'Slogger
AT 2003

weary
02-03-2005, 14:30
=============================
You're kiddin here ...right Rick ? If not, that seems to be a rather broad generalization.
'Slogger
AT 2003
Of course he's not kidding. The same is equally true for people who live in Maine and who thus are forced to climb Katahdin, fight black flies and explore the wilderness again and again.

Mainer's, even more than Southbounders, are by definition "of stronger mind, body, moral fiber and character."

Weary

rickb
02-03-2005, 14:36
Hi Sloggger--

I was making my edit, just as you were typing. Yea, I was kidding. In this instance I wanted to correct myself, in others I don't care if I am the only one who get my sarcasm. Such is the internet.

I think southbounders and northbounders are all cut from the same cloth when we start out. If there is a change (I don't know), I think it might be that SOBO's mighthave a chance to build up thier confidence more quickly.

By the timea SOBO gets to Shaw's I think a lot of them know if they are capable of going the whole way-- which is a good thing. By the time a SOBO gets to Gorham, I am thinking most do. And by the time they get over Mount Washington, I think all might. My guess is that it takes a NOBO somewhat longer-- who knows.

Seeing all the skinny NOBO's doing thier thing might even play a role.

Rick B

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 15:41
Whew ...you had me wonderin a bit there Rick.

My experience tells me that everyone is different in terms of "knowing" they can make it all the way, regardless of direction hiked.

To be totally honest, I knew I could make it all the way before I started at Springer. Not trying to sound arrogant but it never dawned on me that I wouldn't make it to Katahdin. I will admit though, that the further I hiked the more confident I became.

I met hikers in 2003 who had doubts right from the beginning. Guess it's all in how a person is wired.

I started to meet southbounders when I hit Pennsylvania. The first batch behaved somewhat conceited and seemed to look down on northbounders. It was as if they felt they had accomplished more. Never have understood that completely. Maybe it's about the Whites ??

'Slogger
AT 2003

wacocelt
02-03-2005, 16:30
I started to meet southbounders when I hit Pennsylvania. The first batch behaved somewhat conceited and seemed to look down on northbounders. It was as if they felt they had accomplished more. Never have understood that completely. Maybe it's about the Whites ??

While I was SoBo in 00' I often encountered NoBo's who were click'ish if not down right rude. There's really no reason for it, but it happens. The spirit of competition in today's society blinds alot of people to the least common denominators we share, such as hiking the same trail, muchless that we're all human beings deserving of respect.

The Solemates
02-03-2005, 18:30
So they say doing a southbound is harder because you hit the 100 mile wilderness right away and the the whites in your first six weeks, but on a percentage does a southbound hike have more uphill climbs than a northbound?

According to my calculations, a NOBO is going uphill 57.284927% of the time and a SOBO 61.3084820%.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 18:34
According to my calculations, a NOBO is going uphill 57.284927% of the time and a SOBO 61.3084820%.==============================
Hmmm ...so it's 4% harder to hike southbound? Guess we northbounders had it easier all along and just didn't know it ??

'Slogger

The Solemates
02-03-2005, 19:06
==============================
Hmmm ...so it's 4% harder to hike southbound? Guess we northbounders had it easier all along and just didn't know it ??

'Slogger

Well, if you factor in the relative inclination of the Earth in relation to the sun, and compare that to the atomic magnetism physics of gravitational forces due the lunar equinox on the third Friday of every month, it is only 3.9583928% harder.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 19:12
Well, if you factor in the relative inclination of the Earth in relation to the sun, and compare that to the atomic magnetism physics of gravitational forces due the lunar equinox on the third Friday of every month, it is only 3.9583928% harder.=============================
Well ...that's more like it. Something just told me it wasn't a whole 4% easier. I feel much better now.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Peaks
02-03-2005, 19:15
Nope. Southbounders are by definition of stronger mind, body, moral fiber and character. As such, going SOBO is much easier.

Edit: In truth I don't know what was more scarry, the drop the AT took coming off the Tableland, passing the sign that introduces the "100 Mile Wilderness", or the bugs. I can't imagine a similar feeling on Springer ;-). I agree with Wolf.

Go ahead Rick, tell me how you used to walk to school, 5 miles each way, in the snow, up hill, both ways.

cutman11
02-03-2005, 21:51
Perhaps its all perception, but I often thought as Deb W, that the ups and downs eventually all cancel out....BUT I think that is not correct. The slopes on the northern side of a mtn always seem longer and gentler, while the south slopes steeper and shorter. Maybe thats cause I was always going northward. But, since my knees hate the downhill worse, I guess that would mean I would think the MEGA's have it worse. I've only sectioned the southern 800 or so miles, so cant speak about the whole trail yet.

Footslogger
02-03-2005, 23:02
I met a hiker in 2003 that thought going northbound was harder because hiking north went "UP" on the map and hiking south went "DOWN" on the map. Not exactly the sharpest pencil in the box ...but it was amusing listening to his logic.

'Slogger
AT 2003

rickb
02-03-2005, 23:27
Deb's logic is better, but fails to consider that the earth is not a perfect sphere. Like me, it is fatter in the middle than it should be.

Heading south (in the northern hemisphere) is up hill. Experience tells me that this is by more than 1486 feet.

Look for my paper in the spring issue of Sperical Geometry Today.

Rick B

Youngblood
02-03-2005, 23:57
Well, if you factor in the relative inclination of the Earth in relation to the sun, and compare that to the atomic magnetism physics of gravitational forces due the lunar equinox on the third Friday of every month, it is only 3.9583928% harder.
Don't forget the sun factor... nobo's have to hike uphill with the sun beating down on their backs and hike downhill in the shadows while sobo's get to hike uphill in the shade and downhill in the sun. This means that nobo's have to hike over wider and more uncomfortable temperatures during the day while sobo's have a more consistant and comfortable temperature range. :confused: ... dang, that might make sense?

Youngblood

MileMonster
02-04-2005, 08:37
Well, when I got to the top of Clingman's Dome I told my partner that "Clingman's is the highest elevation on the Trail. It's all downhill from here." Unfortunately, when I got to the Hudson River in NY, the lowest elevation on the Trail, I had to face the opposite end of that logic: it was going to be all uphill from there.