PDA

View Full Version : Do not ride Greyhound

Feral Bill
06-21-2011, 16:30
The plan was to put my son on the bus to Bozeman MT yesterday PM. Bought a ticket in the morning and went to work. My wife took him to the station and guess what? NO SEATS! The would not refund the ticket and said to see the manager in the morning. So, my wife gets a 15 hour rount trip drive to get my son to his job at Yellowstone. I go down to the station this morning, and the manager, after initialy being willing to "make an exception" and refund the ticket judges me to be sarcastic, tosses back across the counter at me. For the record, I was naturally irate, but in no way abusive. Several calls to Greyhound customer service yield a runaround and no help whatever. I would strongly advise avoiding this company due to thier appalling attitude toward customer service.

FB

PS Had to vent

ScottP
06-21-2011, 16:34
Greyhounding is about as fast and reliable as hitchhiking. And the people on greyhounds are weirder than the people you meet when you hitch.

Spokes
06-21-2011, 16:44
FB, I had no idea seating could be a potential problem on Greyhound. When you purchase a ticket, you expect a seat right? Apparently not so with Greyhound. Your experience made me check out the Greyhound webpage further. Under their "How We Operate" tab it states the following:

"Seating is on a first-come, first- served basis. Advance purchase tickets do not guarantee a seat".

??????? That's totally absurd.

Thanks for sharing.

darkage
06-21-2011, 17:10
I've gone thousands of miles on greyhound, never once have i had a problem ... show up on time, get your ass in line to ensure a seat .... greyhound is the ONLY company that serves long distance bus options .... what the hell do you expect? ... And the fact that you couldn't keep your ass in check long enough to get the manager to give you a refund says little about yourself ... i've had them refund money multiple times ... In fact, i'm leaving in 2 weeks from NE PA to SW california .... i'll pop in my mp3 player, travel with my good friend and enjoy the scenes ... next time, take a plane.

jcb
06-21-2011, 17:41
Yeah, how rude of him to expect a seat after he paid.
I've gone thousands of miles on greyhound, never once have i had a problem ... show up on time, get your ass in line to ensure a seat .... greyhound is the ONLY company that serves long distance bus options .... what the hell do you expect? ... And the fact that you couldn't keep your ass in check long enough to get the manager to give you a refund says little about yourself ... i've had them refund money multiple times ... In fact, i'm leaving in 2 weeks from NE PA to SW california .... i'll pop in my mp3 player, travel with my good friend and enjoy the scenes ... next time, take a plane.

rsjrny
06-21-2011, 17:45
darkage, chill dude

Pony
06-21-2011, 18:02

You've been very lucky then. Took the Greyhound out of Marion Va. a few years ago, which was 45 minutes late. Got to Wytheville where my 6 hour layover turned into 18 because the first bus was full (even though I had a ticket), the next bus was "run into by a truck", the next bus was broke down, and the next bus was involved in a minor collision near Roanoke. I finally yogied a ride from some people leaving the Mcdonald's. Everyone has freedom of choice, and I choose to never ride Greyhound again if I can help it.

Panzer1
06-21-2011, 18:13

a really uncalled for post and very arrogant.

Panzer

George
06-21-2011, 18:57
One of the many services etc that you get what you pay for, greyhound charges cheap enough that they have run themselves BK more than once, as far as folks who think you can hitch long distances as fast as greyhound, you have not hitched much, it may be fast if you are a hot 18 yo female but do you want to take that chance? hitching is seldom even cheaper than the bus for long distance if you are actually paying for your own food, showers etc instead of begging/ freeloading like most hitchers are

Toolshed
06-21-2011, 19:42
<snipped> i've had them refund money multiple times ... <snipped> There are so many problems that they have had to refund your money mutliple times? Sounds like a company NOT to spend my DOlars with.....

Driver8
06-21-2011, 19:51
To the topic, sounds like the solution, if you're gonna ride Greyhound, is 1) to pay at the counter prior to boarding and to confirm there's sufficient seating on-site, and 2) to leave a day or so early depending on how long your trip is (i.e., will there be boarding changes).

I Greyhound/Trailways'd it many times in college from down south to New England and grew to hate it. I'd go a long way to avoid it. If going on ground a long distance and not driving, I'd probably take the train if at all possible.

Feral Bill - you might get somewhere complaining to the state consumer protection authorities or to the Federal Trade Commission, since G/h is an interstate service. Sorry to hear of your trouble - thank you for sharing.

jbwood5
06-21-2011, 20:54
I've used them a number of times in the past for LD hikes. It is usually miserable but got you where you needed to go. Remember when you could get picked up and dropped off at Weasies in Waynesboro? No more, they discontinued that route. It was a 25 hour trip from Clearwater and cost like $65 if you got your tickets in advance. Gas would have cost 3 times that from Tampa, FL

You are right about them overbooking. They do just like the airlines. You got to get in the corral 20 minutes before the bus pulls in. Definitely the bottom of the food chain here, but sometimes the best alternative.

flatfeet
06-21-2011, 21:14
Greyhound. Helping you to get across the country....with weed.

jbwood5
06-21-2011, 21:34

...and maybe with a full fuel canister too. Who's checking these days.

Chubbs4U
06-21-2011, 21:40
Bill- I feel your pain. Not with greyhound but with customer service. I have had some really bad problems with Dell, ATT and Sirius. I wont get into them but our money is what keeps these business going. What i did was contact the BBB. They know who to contact and will get some resolution. Also email the board of directors, the CEO, etc. The job of some customer service is to give you the runaround so you just give up. I wish you luck and hope this helps...

http://www.bbb.org/

Panzer1
06-21-2011, 21:48
if you do take a bus, they will want to put your pack below in storage. Keep as many of your valuables as you can in your carry-on.
They may loose your pack.

Panzer

Skyline
06-21-2011, 23:40
Go Amtrak next time. Yeah, it gets a bad rap sometimes too, ditto airlines, but Amtrak is light years better than the Dawg. A better experience most of the time, for a bit more $$$.

For long distance travel, it's nice to be able to not be confined to your seat; you can visit the sightseer lounge car/bar car, dining car, etc.

stranger
06-22-2011, 00:51
Amtrak...the only way to fly!

Unfortunately, Greyhound services about 5 times what Amtrak does, but for me rail is the way to go. I did hear lately that you can spend $5 more on Greyhound and reserve a seat, and while this may seem intelligent, I have no confidence in Greyhound enforcing this policy, it's still going to come down to the person having to deal with whatever they have to deal with.

I have used Greyhound in the past without problems, but I make damn sure I get their early and I do get in front of the line, its sucks, there shouldn't be competition in bus service, sadly you pay one way or another.

Bronk
06-22-2011, 05:06
Greyhounding is about as fast and reliable as hitchhiking. And the people on greyhounds are weirder than the people you meet when you hitch.

Totally agree with this one. Greyhound is one of the slowest ways to travel, and probably one of the scariest experiences of my life was spending the night at the DC bus station during a snowstorm when they wouldn't let any buses leave.

As to their refund policy, if you paid with a card just have the charge reversed.

Toli
06-22-2011, 07:04
a really uncalled for post and very arrogant.

Panzer

ru serious??? On whiteblaze??? Please...

Trailbender
06-22-2011, 07:08
I have had nothing but negative experiences with Greyhound. They do get you where you need to go, eventually, for pretty cheap, though.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2011, 07:46
...And the people on greyhounds are weirder than the people you meet when you hitch.

Even weirder than the people you meet on the Trail (or on WhiteBlaze)?

weary
06-22-2011, 07:55
There's no competition when it comes to traveling these days. Airlines are great for getting between populated places. But few towns served by airlines are near trails. So it's greyhound, the thumb, and occasionally AMTRAK -- or driving. The latter is why there is no competition . Most of us prefer driving our own cars or rental vheicles. I've used greyhound from time to time. It's rarely fun. But often it's the only realistic choice. Given a choice, I prefer a train. But a train won't get you to anywhere near the AT in Maine. It comes to Portland and stops. An extension into Brunswick is in the works, but that won't help much. Even buses don't serve much of the trail in Maine, but they can get you to within 30 miles or so of Katahdin. I sympathize with those who must put up with the hassles of bus travel. But there only rarely is a second choice. Towns protest when threatened with loss of bus service. It's a necessary service for many. But protests hardly ever work. Be careful what you wish for.

squirrel bait
06-22-2011, 08:39
Though not a fan of Greyhound, I have used them. In the seventies two long distance trips were I expect normal bus travel, hard, hot, long and occasionally very fun and interesting. When I came back from the AT via Roanoke no one minded my hiking staff nor did I do anything to hide my alcohol stove or fuel. No one seemed the least bit interested or bothered by backpack or what was in it.

flyingturtle
06-22-2011, 08:41
I rode greyhound once. What was supposed to be a quick, eight hour ride turned into double that...next time it is the train for me!

Slo-go'en
06-22-2011, 10:57
I guess I have been lucky with all the bus trips I've taken from NH down to the southern AT. One of the busses I was on recently made it to the depo by a wish and a prayer, but it make it. Many of them have been full to capacity, but I manged to get a seat. Some have been a little late, but there's always been enough dead time between transfers for that not to be a problem.

Of course, much of it depends on where your taveling to and when your doing it. Weather is the biggest variable and can affect any type of travel. I took AMTRAK to Tampa this spring and it was delayed for 4 hours getting there due to a tornato which droped a bunch of trees on the tracks in centeral Florida. Try flying in the middle of winter. If a big strom happens, you can be stuck for days at an airport.

jbwood5
06-22-2011, 11:15
The plan was to put my son on the bus to Bozeman MT yesterday PM. Bought a ticket in the morning and went to work. My wife took him to the station and guess what? NO SEATS! The would not refund the ticket and said to see the manager in the morning. So, my wife gets a 15 hour rount trip drive to get my son to his job at Yellowstone. I go down to the station this morning, and the manager, after initialy being willing to "make an exception" and refund the ticket judges me to be sarcastic, tosses back across the counter at me. For the record, I was naturally irate, but in no way abusive. Several calls to Greyhound customer service yield a runaround and no help whatever. I would strongly advise avoiding this company due to thier appalling attitude toward customer service.

FB

PS Had to vent

I guess you are not the only one!

Read this:
http://blog.georgetownvoice.com/2007/10/11/greyhounds-brand-of-highway-robbery/

Feral Bill
06-22-2011, 12:19
Totally agree with this one. Greyhound is one of the slowest ways to travel, and probably one of the scariest experiences of my life was spending the night at the DC bus station during a snowstorm when they wouldn't let any buses leave.

As to their refund policy, if you paid with a card just have the charge reversed.

I did and I am.

Funny thing is I have used to ride often (several cross country trips), and always enjoyed the Dog. No more.

jersey joe
06-22-2011, 14:44
I took greyhound once from NJ to SC and had a horrible experience. It took twice as long as it should have. The first bus was full so I had to wait an hour for the second(thankfully in nj they come every hour). The worst part was in NC everyone had to get off the bus at a stop and get back in line to board the SAME BUS. There were already people on line so i didnt make it back onto the bus and had to wait 4 hours for the next bus.

jbwood5
06-22-2011, 15:17
I took greyhound once from NJ to SC and had a horrible experience. It took twice as long as it should have. The first bus was full so I had to wait an hour for the second(thankfully in nj they come every hour). The worst part was in NC everyone had to get off the bus at a stop and get back in line to board the SAME BUS. There were already people on line so i didnt make it back onto the bus and had to wait 4 hours for the next bus.

What happens when your pack is in the under carrage storage compartment and you can't get back on that bus... especially if it is way back in there?

Driver8
06-22-2011, 15:23
What happens when your pack is in the under carrage storage compartment and you can't get back on that bus... especially if it is way back in there?

You would think those already on the bus would have priority. Ridiculous.

JaxHiker
06-22-2011, 15:35
Use Amtrak? Man, the last time I priced it the ticket was the same as a plane ticket and took 3-4 times as long.

jersey joe
06-22-2011, 15:54
What happens when your pack is in the under carrage storage compartment and you can't get back on that bus... especially if it is way back in there? when they emptied the bus, the also emptied the cargo. I think they may have cleaned the bus or something. I didn't get back on, so i'm not sure exactly.

fiddlehead
06-22-2011, 16:45
Doesn't anyone do "Driveaways" anymore?
That's how I got back from a few trips already.
Much more fun than getting ripped off by greyhound.

Driver8
06-22-2011, 16:49
Use Amtrak? Man, the last time I priced it the ticket was the same as a plane ticket and took 3-4 times as long.

Did you factor in the gear and pack portage and baggage limitations on airlines? Amtrak is much more convenient in those respects than is air travel.

gunner76
06-22-2011, 16:56
File a complaint with Better Business Bureau

Slo-go'en
06-22-2011, 20:53
FB, I had no idea seating could be a potential problem on Greyhound. When you purchase a ticket, you expect a seat right? "Seating is on a first-come, first- served basis. Advance purchase tickets do not guarantee a seat".
??????? That's totally absurd.

The thing is, when you buy a bus ticket, it's good for 6 months or something like that. You can use it on the next available bus, which is what most people want to do, but you don't have to. They do not guarantee you'll have a seat on the next scheduled bus to leave, but they will get you on a bus - eventually - and that's all thier obligated to do. When you travel by bus, you need to have a more flexable schedule then if you go by air or train, but even those can bite you on occasion.

Cookerhiker
06-22-2011, 21:34
Did you factor in the gear and pack portage and baggage limitations on airlines? Amtrak is much more convenient in those respects than is air travel.

To say nothing of stove fuel.

LoneRidgeRunner
06-22-2011, 21:49
I think a paid for ticket should guarantee a seat on the bus you bought the ticket for and after all the seats are sold out ticket sales should cease. It's just totally absurd to pay for a ticket and then not get a seat. Just MO I'd never use them again and bad mouth em til hell freezes over... As far as hitch hiking goes. I'm sure it's different now but in the early 70s I used to hitch hike home to NC from Pensacola, Fl (about 600 miles) and averaged about 10 to 12 hours. You couldn't get in a car and drive it much quicker. For the record..I did NOT wear my Navy uniform so that wasn't a factor. Would never ride any bus in that amount of time.

Highway Man
06-23-2011, 01:12

Were you given a boarding ticket by the driver? You had the priority to get on the same bus regardless of how many people there are in the line ahead of you.

Bronk
06-23-2011, 01:27
Greyhound is what it is. It generally takes you anywhere from 2 to 4 times as long to get anywhere.

The first time I rode from DC to Erie, PA it baffled me that my bus arrived in Pittsburgh at 6am but I didn't actually make it to Erie until 2pm. They put me on a bus to Cleveland at 8am and a bus from Cleveland back to Erie at noon. Pittsburgh is 100 miles from Erie, and it took 8 hours to go that far. Had I known greyhound's schedule I would have hitched my way out of Pittsburgh during the morning drive time traffic and been home by 9am.

Its for people who don't have the money to travel any other way or don't have any other choices (smaller towns). Which is why they can get away with having crappy customer service, they are generally servicing an otherwise unserved population, if they don't like it, there is nowhere else for them to go...mostly because most people wouldn't even consider hitchhiking. Any business which has a captive customer base tends to treat their customers with disdain and contempt.

Panzer1
06-23-2011, 09:40
To say nothing of stove fuel.

If they find out you have stove fuel what do they do? Do they take it? Do you ever get it back?

Panzer

LBJ
06-23-2011, 09:41
ru serious??? On whiteblaze??? Please...

Hey, I did a lot less and was removedfrom a discussion!

Skyline
06-23-2011, 09:45

Perhaps you've heard it said, referring to long distance hiking, that "the journey is the destination." That's how I feel about train travel.

Yes, it takes a lot longer to go coast-to-coast on a train than a plane but I've (usually) found it to be a valuable part of a vacation in and of itself. Often great people to socialize with in the lounge and dining cars. I'm still friends with folks I met initially on trains in the late '70s.

And better scenery going through the Rockies and Sierras than you will ever get from a car or way up there in the sky. The only better way to get that scenery is to hike through it.

JaxHiker
06-23-2011, 10:12
I can understand that, I just don't have that luxury. I have x amount of time from work. I can't spend more time getting there than it takes to make the hike.

delaford321
06-23-2011, 15:58
Customer service in general has gone out the window. I have just finished dealing with a situation where I signed an apartment lease and was told my apartment was full. Since when does purchasing a ticket/signing a lease/etc not guarantee what you purchased?

DaSchwartz
06-23-2011, 22:38
The worst part was in NC everyone had to get off the bus at a stop and get back in line to board the SAME BUS..

Yes, that is common on rest stops, but the drivers always gave me a reboarding pass and called the number for those reboarding to come on first, then the newer riders would load. I tell you one bus company that is awesome and that's "mega bus". You only buy tickets online, there is no bus station, and wifi. They only service a handful of cities but the clients are much more upscale generally.

And yes, it sucks that Greyground discontinued a lot of their I-81 service north of Roanoke.

Amtrak.. great in the northeast. However, when I took Amtrak from Columbia SC to Baltimore MD, it was bad. Train was 4 hours late and then the train could only go 15mph through most of SC and NC because of track maintenance and that freight trains have priority on the line through those states. You can get a good deal on Amtrak if you plan ahead.

10-K
06-23-2011, 22:54
Love Amtrak - took it from Fayetteville, NC to Penn Station last May. Purchased the ticket for $86 3 months in advance. Big seats, plenty of room and the car I was in wasn't crowded at all. It was nice to get up and walk around some too. Food and drinks were $$$$ though.

Got there quicker than I could have driven.

chiefduffy
06-23-2011, 23:04
Greyhound was recently taken over by a big corporation that is doing everything wrong. Lately they have been dropping passengers for overnight layovers at stations that are closed, locked up for the night. I'm in the industry, and have been reading regular accounts of unbelievable passenger abuse, drunk bus drivers, etc.

Sly
06-24-2011, 13:17

...and maybe with a full fuel canister too. Who's checking these days.

On a layover, and bus change, in Billings MT the local cops inspected the baggage with I assume were drug sniffing dogs.

10-K
06-24-2011, 13:27
On a layover, and bus change, in Billings MT the local cops inspected the baggage with I assume were drug sniffing dogs.

That's scary.... I mean this in an apolitical way but I wish they'd go out and search for some real criminals.

4Bears
06-25-2011, 11:32
Bill, below is item "12" from the Greyhound "Terms and Conditions" section of their website, hope it helps.

"Unused one-way and round trip walk-up fare tickets will have a refund value equal to the fare paid by the passenger, less a cancellation penalty, unless otherwise indicated on the ticket. "

Go back to the "station manager" and ask him to look it up.

wcgornto
06-25-2011, 12:02
I have taken Greyhound between Atlanta, GA and Valdosta, GA a few times and would do it again. The trip is a straight shot along I-75 with stops in Macon, Cordele and Tifton. it turns a normal 3.5 hour drive into a 5 hour trip ... not too bad. I have gotten too far back in the line in Atlanta and missed the bus. On that occasion, another bus was added to the service about another hour later and I rode an uncrowded bus with a seat to myself. For this particular route, I am happy with Greyhound. I even find the eclectic mix of people I don't ordinarily hang out with rather interesting. I would not ride Greyhound for a longer haul route, more remote route, overnight trip, or on a route requiring changes from one bus to another. Also, even on the route that I will take, I watch like a hawk on the in between stops to make sure that my bag remains under the bus.

As for other countries, Ecuador is interesting in that they will pack double the number of people on the bus as the number of seats. I rode 5 to 6 hours standing up on one trip. At the other extreme is Argentina, which has double decker buses for overnight rides between cities. A first class ticket runs $60 to $100 depending on distance, includes full dinner (including wine) and a lay flat bed. The experience is like a first class transatlantic flight, bur for $100 rather than $5000.

Doctari
06-25-2011, 13:43
Festival seating was banned at concerts in Cincinnati a few years ago cause it's a BAD Idea! But at least you could get a seat (or trampled to death) that you paid for, just no choice in what seat. Greyhound on the other hand has Festival TYPE seating on their buses but even after purchase, you may still be walking "sorry about your luck, try again tomorrow (or whenever the next bus leaves for your dest. SO, maybe next week.) whatever".

I agree with hitching would be faster: Took me 26 hours from Cinti to Tampa Fla, & 28 hrs to return. I literally could have driven down to Tampa, "OOPS, I forgot something" driven BACK to Ohio, then back to Fla, Did what I was there for, Driven back to Cinti & took a nap. "Drat, left my whoosiwhatsit at the motel" driven back to Fla & then to Ohio & still spent less, got home sooner & been more rested. And as stated above, met fewer Weird people, yea, some of the passengers were also Odd.

I too will NEVER use Greyhound again. RUDE people, POOR service per dollar paid & why in the H### do they put the stations in the worst part of town? Yea, I know, I wouldn't want a bus station in MY back yard either, but in the center of the highest crime area around? I heard gunshots every time I was in a station that horrible trip, for the duration of my stay.

Dogwood
06-25-2011, 15:34
GREYHOUND:

Greyhound routinely overbooks routes! Airlines also do this on ocassion! If you haven't paid for a reserved seat on Greyhound you ARE NOT guaranteed a seat on the bus! Read the fine print about refunds! I believe you can purchase refundable tickets from Greyhound! ALL issued tickets on Greyhound are not the same! As Darkage says, when getting on the bus GET IN LINE EARLY. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE VERY LAST MINUTE TO GET INTO THE QUE!!! ###THIS APPLIES EVEN AT TRANSFER POINTS!!!###Don't get me started talking about the several times I had to spend an extra day waiting around some nasty Greyhound Terminal to get on the next scheduled bus because I was in the end of the reboarding line and was shut out from continuing my "journey" in a somewhat "timely" fashion. That's a laugh! In all the ways I've traveled I would accurately state that "The Dog" is most likely TO NOT BE ON TIME!

Don't expect to have lots of room on a Greyhound bus! As stated, schedules are often filled and so are seats! The seats are cramped!

When stopping for a food break expect the bus to stop at fastfood places like McDonalds or Interstate Choke and Pukes. Bring your own food, water, EARPLUGS, MP3, reading materials,, etc!

Remember, you are dealing with the VERY LOW BUDGET TRAVELER when booking a ride with "The Dog." If traveling with them on the weekends or a friday, especially on night scheduled routes, I expect alcohol, drugs, obnoxious loud fat smelly people, etc to be passengers with me.

BE VERY CAREFUL with your precious backpack if handing it over to Greyhound baggage handlers!!! ###The DO NOT generally understand how to handle backpacks on "The Dog!" Personally, I'm an Uler and my fully loaded packs can fit in the overheads on planes and buses. I MUCH PREFER having my pack with me within sight. THIS ESPECIALLY APPLIES TO WHEN EXPERIENCING "THE DOG!"

BEFORE booking with Greyhound, especially if purchasing traveling arrangements well in advance, DEFINITELY check out the fares of different modes of transportation. They might be less expensive AND get you to your destination faster!!! It's not unusual FOR ME to find rail or air transportation at a comparable cost to Greyhound bus travel! On some routes and in some situations I've found airfare and railfare to be CHEAPER and get me to my destination MUCH faster and in greater comfort than if I was travel to the same place via "The Dog!"

nufsaid
06-25-2011, 16:51

Could they have been bomb sniffing dogs? Buses and trains are wide open for those that may want to further their agenda of attacking "unbelievers". http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-bin-laden-files-show-train-bombing-plot,0,5688302.story

I would feel more secure on public transportation if there was a bit more scrutiny concerning what was allowed in baggage. Even if those that want to carry pot or even stove fuel are inconvenienced. You can always buy your fuel or drug of choice when you arrive at your destination.

nufsaid
06-25-2011, 16:52
That's scary.... I mean this in an apolitical way but I wish they'd go out and search for some real criminals.

Could it be that they were?

Mother Natures Son
06-25-2011, 16:57
Yep, like a lot of travers, I gotten to hate Grayhound! I once took the bus to the northern part of the state (PA) only to be dropped off at the station and be told the next bus isn't untill tomarrow. (Route changed without telling anyone) The bus comany laugh at me. Lucky me, I found some other folks who where in the same boat I was. I quick call and I was able to hitch a ride with these other folks. I was told I was lucky, other travelers had to sleep on the sidewalk..in the cold..on the wrong side of town! No, No way I am taking the dog ever again. Is Trailways any better or just as bad as Grayhound?

Dogwood
06-25-2011, 23:23
Feral Bill, for my own future traveling from Bozman to Y NP how was you son anticipating getting from Boz to Y NP? I was only aware of a bus that went ONLY a short distance between the two areas! I had to hitch long distances twice between the two areas.

Wolf - 23000
06-26-2011, 00:34
Greyhound SUCKS!!!

I've had really bad luck dealing with Greyhound. While trying to get home from the trail I learn my ticket was written to get me from my home to the trail instead of from the trail to my home. They wrote my ticket backwards with me broke.

While paying for a full price ticket, I've had to site on the floor because there were no seats available. If I didn't get on that bus, the next bus didn't come in until the next day. I've been stranded in the bus station for 14 hours without my PACK. Myself and three others were left behind after the bus drive left without any announcement over the loud speakers. The waiters at the bus stop said he does it all the time. It didn't help the three of us, as we had to wait.

Wolf

dloome
06-26-2011, 01:08
I'll also never ride this clown show again. Like someone said, pay an extra few bucks to fly or hitchhike. It's probably safer, just as reliable and surely less frustrating.

Last time I tried to ride Greyhound (after many other lost bags, overbooked buses, etc.) I had bought my ticket online. It said to go to the station with an I.D. and pick up the ticket from the counter before my departure. I arrived over an hour early and the yahoo behind the counter insisted I had an "e-ticket" which I was supposed to print out myself, despite my having a print-out IN MY FREAKIN' HAND that clearly said to pick it up at the counter of the station. He refused to even look for my ticket in his little stack, I went home to my computer to see if there was some way he was correct (he wasn't) and then didn't make it back across town AGAIN to catch the bus. I had a deadline, and had to buy an expensive last minute plane ticket instead.

I stopped by afterwards to get a refund from the station and the manager insisted they had made no mistake and was utterly rude, telling me "I had no idea what I was talking about", etc.

After literally an entire day on the phone, I got nothing from Greyhound customer service but clueless, incomprehensible babble and no refund. A pathetically run, sorry operation and it shouldn't be surprising that they're going bankrupt. Good riddance. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and have closed the door on Greyhound forever.

DapperD
06-26-2011, 20:21

FB

PS Had to ventDefinately do not like riding on the dog. Had the displeasure years ago twice, hopefully never again. First time people began throwing things on the bus late at night in the dark. Second time bus was stopped by the police and boarded and a passenger was arrested and hauled off the bus. Besides stopping constantly and taking forever to get where you want to go, I guess the only good thing about it is the price of the fare. After reading some of these posts about people being "abandoned" at various seedy city depots, and being forced to wait outside of locked terminals out on dangerous city streets, I would say it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt/robbed/attacked with this type of standard practice, if it hasn't happened already:mad:.

weary
06-26-2011, 22:58
....I guess the only good thing about it is the price of the fare. .....
Well, Greyhound does go to places that no other transportation facility will take you. Those who want to go to such places -- you know, people like hikers -- might think that is a good thing.

weary
06-26-2011, 23:10
I'll also never ride this clown show again. Like someone said, pay an extra few bucks to fly or hitchhike. It's probably safer, just as reliable and surely less frustrating. .....
Well, I used to hitch hike a lot 60 years ago. I even got into the rhythym of a 'thumb ride" a bit when I did most of the trail 18 years ago at age 65, but now i use that method only in an emergency.

My grandson who goes to a college 150 miles north of here, takes the bus regularly on long weekends, and vacation weeks. By the way, no air plane that takes passengers, ever heard of his campus. Somehow, I feel safer when he's on the bus, rather than hitchhiking. I wonder why that is.

Feral Bill
06-27-2011, 16:12
Feral Bill, for my own future traveling from Bozman to Y NP how was you son anticipating getting from Boz to Y NP? I was only aware of a bus that went ONLY a short distance between the two areas! I had to hitch long distances twice between the two areas. His employer had a bus to the park. He is now learnig the joys of the food service industry.

Dogwood
06-27-2011, 16:26
Feral Bill. I thought I had missed some type of public transportation option between Bozman and Y NP.

You got to look at it this way. He may be learning the joys of the food service industry but the benefits of having days off with the opportunity to explore the backyard are phenomenal! Lots of young single looking for adventure foreigner work visa hotties work in Y NP during summer too!

Jim Adams
06-27-2011, 19:47
One of the many services etc that you get what you pay for, greyhound charges cheap enough that they have run themselves BK more than once, as far as folks who think you can hitch long distances as fast as greyhound, you have not hitched much, it may be fast if you are a hot 18 yo female but do you want to take that chance? hitching is seldom even cheaper than the bus for long distance if you are actually paying for your own food, showers etc instead of begging/ freeloading like most hitchers are

Hitching has never taken as long for me a bus, any bus does. Did Pittsburgh to Philly in 5.5 hrs once HOUSE TO HOUSE....didn't need a ride to or from the bus station.

geek

Driver8
06-27-2011, 20:18
Well, Greyhound does go to places that no other transportation facility will take you. Those who want to go to such places -- you know, people like hikers -- might think that is a good thing.

Other than, you know:

1. & 2. Airplane or Amtrak + Shuttle
3. & 4. Airplane or Amtrak + Cab
5. One's own car.

I, a hiker, and a Greyhound 10,000 miler, would avoid it like the plague based on my own experiences, the moreso having read this thread.

on_the_GOEZ
06-28-2011, 01:53
Last time I traveled with GH, a drunken elderly boarded the bus only for the driver to make an emergency stop 45 minutes later because the drunkard passed out and made his seat a toilet.. Needless to say, the remaining 8 hours of our trip was belated..

Makes me pumped for a 32 hr ride from Indy to Bangor!! :p

weary
06-28-2011, 10:16
Other than, you know:

1. & 2. Airplane or Amtrak + Shuttle
3. & 4. Airplane or Amtrak + Cab
5. One's own car.

I, a hiker, and a Greyhound 10,000 miler, would avoid it like the plague based on my own experiences, the moreso having read this thread.
I hike mostly in Maine. Amtrak doesn't get within 100 miles of most interesting trails. Airplanes with the exception of very expensive charter flights don't get much closer. Buses do better than either for reaching a reasonable shuttle.

However, I agree with you that ones own car is most convenient -- and probably the most expensive if one figures in capital costs.

Driver8
06-29-2011, 01:24
I hike mostly in Maine. Amtrak doesn't get within 100 miles of most interesting trails. Airplanes with the exception of very expensive charter flights don't get much closer. Buses do better than either for reaching a reasonable shuttle.

However, I agree with you that ones own car is most convenient -- and probably the most expensive if one figures in capital costs.

Yeah, I agree it probably gets much sketchier in the northern reaches of New England. I wonder if Greyhound is a better experience in New England than in some other parts of the country. Peter Pan covers much of New England - I'd look to them first and Greyhound last among bus lines.

Trillium
06-29-2011, 16:27
Well you guys had me really worried with this thread. Someone close to me was supposed to take the train from eastern North Dakota to Chicago but the train is not running currently from ND east due to the flooding (although there isn't any flooding where she is. So, she booked a bus from eastern ND to Minneapolis where a plane would be boarded to Chicago. I was very concerned whether the connection might be missed but luckily, it was on time. Just spoke to her about 40 minutes ago as she was boarding the plane. She didn't take Greyhound; she took Jefferson. I had never heard of this company but she had acquaintances who had and who had positive experiences.

Beachcomber
06-29-2011, 16:44
Love Amtrak - took it from Fayetteville, NC to Penn Station last May. Purchased the ticket for $86 3 months in advance. Big seats, plenty of room and the car I was in wasn't crowded at all. It was nice to get up and walk around some too. Food and drinks were $$$$ though.

Got there quicker than I could have driven.
Have used the same route many times. When it's two of us traveling, we can get a sleeper for the northbound (night-time) leg, spend no more than two plane tickets would cost, and be in midtown Manhattan by mid-morning after a good night's sleep. (And with a sleeper, you can pretty much bring any food and drink you like to enjoy in the privacy of your own room.)

Beachcomber
06-29-2011, 16:48
Hitching has never taken as long for me a bus, any bus does. Did Pittsburgh to Philly in 5.5 hrs once HOUSE TO HOUSE....didn't need a ride to or from the bus station.

geekMy hitching days are well behind me, but when I was in school I could ALWAYS count on making a trip, whether from college town to home town, or to some other obscure place where my buddies were in school, much faster "riding my thumb" than via Greyhound. I doubt the service has improved much since the '70s, and it wasn't very good then.

DLANOIE
06-29-2011, 18:42
When I was a teenager living in NH, I used to take GreyHound to NJ to visit some relatives. I loved it every time. I have used it to go from Portland to Boston a few times with no problems. We do a guys trip to Fenway once a year and we take Amtrak. I love the train too.

Carl in FL
06-29-2011, 19:25
I guess I don't get out much. I've never had the "dog" experience.
Not likely to happen after reading this thread. Sheesh.

jbwood5
06-29-2011, 19:57
I did have one good GH bus ride. That was an express bus from NYC to Harrisburg (non-stop). It was a new bus with several flat panel TV screens that were playing movies. It was a late evening trip and there were actually a few empty seats..... and the there were no rowdy passengers that day. :)

shwn354
06-29-2011, 23:17
My least favorite company of all the companies. I've despised Greyhound since I used to use it to get back and forth from college in Vermont. The rudest employees and least comfortable way to travel. When I was thru-hiking some friends and I used them to go from Marion to Chatanooga for a concert. After spending the night at the Knoxville station our connecting bus was two hours late the following morning, meaning everybody was going to miss the next leg. Greyhound acted as though nothing was wrong. People would politely try to ask when they expected the bus to arrive, but they could barely say "Excuse me" to an employee before they would snap back "Sir! I need you to step back in line and stay calm!" This is not an isolated experience, I have dealt with similarly rude and unhelpful Greyhound employees on numerous occasions. No organization is lower on my list than GH. I'm sure a day will come in life when I am forced to ride it again, but I am seriously dreading that day.

weary
06-30-2011, 10:52
I've never had a really bad trip on Greyhound. Though I don't take many bus trips. A bus is the only way to get to Logan airport outside of Boston from Maine, without paying outragous airport parking fees.

Driver8
06-30-2011, 13:16
I've never had a really bad trip on Greyhound. Though I don't take many bus trips. A bus is the only way to get to Logan airport outside of Boston from Maine, without paying outragous airport parking fees.

I once had to spend about 9 hours in Knoxville, TN station on a layover due to a G/h drivers' strike. Foul smells, rude service, cramped seats, being broke enough to need to ride the hound. Not fond memories.

Not to be disputatious, weary, but can't you take the Boston T subway to Logan? Is G/h the only bus service in your part of Maine, or does Peter Pan or any other company also get there?

lush242000
06-30-2011, 19:09
Greyhound has it's uses. I once rode from somewhere in west virginia to atlanta. It sucked. Mostly because of the two people in front of me who wanted to talk the whole time with one of them saying "right" every couple of seconds.

John B
06-30-2011, 20:52
We must have been on the same bus. I went to a boarding school in Rome and had to take the Hound to Atlanta to get a flight home. But instead of idiots saying 'right' after every sentence, mine were saying "cool, man."

It seemed to me that about the only people who rode the bus were Norwegian exchange students, nuns, excons, and those who typically cling to the side of freight trains to get about. And Weary, of course.

If you want a laugh, google "Greyhound sucks" and check out the numerous Facebook pages devoted to hatred of Greyhound and countless blogs about nightmare experiences on the bus.

I'd rather hitch a ride with a Baptist preacher than ride Greyhound.

weary
07-01-2011, 09:58
I once had to spend about 9 hours in Knoxville, TN station on a layover due to a G/h drivers' strike. Foul smells, rude service, cramped seats, being broke enough to need to ride the hound. Not fond memories.

Not to be disputatious, weary, but can't you take the Boston T subway to Logan? Is G/h the only bus service in your part of Maine, or does Peter Pan or any other company also get there?
Greyhound ended it's service to most of Maine a few years ago in a dispute with its union drivers. It formed a wholly-owned subsidiary to take over. I forget at the moment what they call it. There are a number of small bus lines, serving limited routes in limited places. Maine is larger than the rest of New England combined, but it's population is less than that of greater Boston. So our realistic alternatives to an occasional bus trip is the private auto. If I'm going to be away for a week or more the parking at Logan is more costly than the air fare to the west coast. Well, it was the last time I checked, which was a while ago.

Driver8
07-01-2011, 15:18
If I'm going to be away for a week or more the parking at Logan is more costly than the air fare to the west coast. Well, it was the last time I checked, which was a while ago.

You might try flying out of Manchester or even Hartford/Bradley. Parking at either would be a lot cheaper, I imagine. For a week at Bradley, about a mile from the airport with complimentary shuttle, it's about $50. I'd bet it's comparable at Manchester.

weary
07-01-2011, 18:12
You might try flying out of Manchester or even Hartford/Bradley. Parking at either would be a lot cheaper, I imagine. For a week at Bradley, about a mile from the airport with complimentary shuttle, it's about $50. I'd bet it's comparable at Manchester.
Maine being so spread out and so small, no one in Manchester or even Hartford/Bradley can afford to pay what it would cost to tell us about these and other parking bargains.

TIDE-HSV
07-01-2011, 19:52
We must have been on the same bus. I went to a boarding school in Rome and had to take the Hound to Atlanta to get a flight home. But instead of idiots saying 'right' after every sentence, mine were saying "cool, man."

It seemed to me that about the only people who rode the bus were Norwegian exchange students, nuns, excons, and those who typically cling to the side of freight trains to get about. And Weary, of course.

If you want a laugh, google "Greyhound sucks" and check out the numerous Facebook pages devoted to hatred of Greyhound and countless blogs about nightmare experiences on the bus.

I'd rather hitch a ride with a Baptist preacher than ride Greyhound.

I remember being delighted to get a ride with a Baptist preacher. My shuttle didn't show, and I was down in Cherokee, NC, on my bike, with my car up at Balsam Mtn. - at sundown. The only disturbing thing was when, after asking about the things that I did for recreation, he said "What possesses a man to do such things." (This comment would apply to all here.) I started to say "I'm pretty sure it's not the devil," but I bit my lip...

Driver8
07-04-2011, 12:59
http://us.megabus.com/routemap.aspx

(http://us.megabus.com/routemap.aspx)I heard from Tenneseered and his dad, whom I met on trail yesterday, that Megabus offers really good deals and is a nice service with a new bus fleet. I checked out their offerings at their website, linked above. They can get a hiker as close to Springer as Knoxville or Charlotte (no Atlanta, yet), and as close to Katahdin as Portland.

Tr's dad swore by it and said he got a $2 fare recently from Knoxville to WDC - said Megabus makes money on such fares by partnering with merchants in the destination towns - ferrying in people to shop at the bigger cities with non-stop, comfortable rides. Kinda like the big buses from NYC, Boston and Philly to the casinos here in the northeast. The one-way fares seem to vary from dirt cheap to low ($2 or $5 to $28 one way).

Interesting. Certainly does get one to Damascus or Glencliff, but might be a nice way to cut down one's exposure to "Greyhound cooties." Take Megabus to NYC or Boston, DC or Knoxville, say, then the hound to remoter destinations. Layover, if you please, at a comfortable motel on the way. Liveable! :)

JansportD2
07-11-2011, 10:58
Megabus is the anti-Greyhound. It runs to Harrisburg (the Harrisburg Mall), where you can catch a city bus to downtown and another city bus to Clark's Ferry, just across the river from Duncannon. Good service on Megabus, although I was by far the oldest person on the bus. The bus from downtown Harrisburg to Clark's Ferry runs just once a day, but is reasonable ($2.50) and drops you right on the AT.

Driver8
07-11-2011, 11:20
Certainly doesn't get one to Damascus or Glencliff, but might be a nice way to cut down one's exposure to "Greyhound cooties." Take Megabus to NYC or Boston, DC or Knoxville, say, then the hound to remoter destinations. Layover, if you please, at a comfortable motel on the way. Liveable! :)

I typo'd "does" in the above quote. Makes more sense as corrected. Thanks for the follow-up, Jansport. Megabus might just run Greyhound out of business.

Feral Nature
07-12-2011, 15:36
I have traveled by Greyhound many times throughout my lifetime. I don't mind it too much, I just plan for it by bringing my own snacks and drinks, reading material, a small pillow and a sweater or something to cover up with (they can get really cold). I carry my bag/bags on and do not check them. I never let my stuff out of my sight. I choose a window seat as determined by which way the sun is shining so it won't be in my face. I have never seen any one not be able to board a bus because it was too full. But there have always been so many buses running that they are never all they way full. People watching is great on Greyhound! I have written a few little stories about them hoping not to lose the details, but there as so many stories that I have yet to put to paper. I have cecked the Greyhound Bus schedule already for next March. It is a 22-plus hour trip from Houston, Texas to Gainesville, Georgia. No problem! And it is only $89.

Feral Nature
07-12-2011, 15:38
I live 2.5 hours away from Houston and that will be by auto so I have to figure that in as well.

d.o.c
07-12-2011, 16:02
Greyhounding is about as fast and reliable as hitchhiking. And the people on greyhounds are weirder than the people you meet when you hitch. 100% agreed

atraildreamer
07-13-2011, 12:01

Don't overlook Providence (T.F. Green Airport) RI: http://www.pvdairport.com/

You can park for as little as $14/day, and can connect with most major airlines, the MBTA rail to Boston, Amtrak, and city buses to Providence. I office temped there for a while and used to get inquiry calls from people as far away as upstate New York who refused to endure the turmoil of flying out of Logan (Boston). They couldn't believe that it takes about 2 minutes to get there from RT 95, and a 5 minute shuttle ride from the parking areas to the terminal.

atraildreamer
07-13-2011, 12:05
----------------------