PDA

View Full Version : Canadians crossing the border

kaytee
02-03-2005, 13:50
I was wondering if any Canadian hikers have had problems crossing the US border for a thru-hike with a one-way bus or aeroplane ticket. I know that Greyhound won’t let you leave the Toronto bus station with a one-way ticket into the States because of problems with passengers being refused entry. Do US customs agents recognize hiking the AT for 6+ months as a legit reason for being in the States and a good enough reason why I wouldn’t want a round trip ticket to/from Atlanta?

Did you need a passport to cross the boarder? I have never used my passport to enter the United States, but that was pre-9/11. Related; will I need my passport as identification once I am in the States, or will my Ontario drivers licence be ok?

chris
02-03-2005, 16:09
You will absolutely need your passport to clear the border. Americans will need one to cross in either direction. A drivers license won't cut it, unless the border agent is having a nice day. If you show up with just the license, you will probably get a stern talking to and let past the guards. Or, you might not get past them. Since you would be here for 6 months, you will absolutely need the passport, and you will probably be stopped and questioned for a while.

You should be able to arrange a long-term stay visa with the feds, which should then allow you to buy a 1 way ticket.

rocket04
02-03-2005, 18:20
I thru-hiked last year and was concerned about the border thing. I went to the consulate in Ottawa and essentially they told me that for 6 months you don't need a visa (BUT DOUBLE CHECK ANYWAY). More importantly, they said that the important thing is to show proof that you have enough money to allow you to survive in the US without having to work and that you don't intend to stay in the US. For the first, a recent bank statement, credit cards, etc. can be used. For the latter, you can use any proof of property ownership (car, house, etc.), proof that you have a job you're going back to, proof of marriage and that you have kids (if you have a wife and kids in Canada, better chances you'll go back), and whatever else of that nature you can think of.

I went through by bus with a return ticket from Bangor to be safe, but my situation was trickier. I had never had a job in Canada (had just moved back after working in US on work permit for 5 years), owned no property, didn't even rent anywhere, etc. So I had my return ticket, a bank statement, credit card statements, and a pay stub with my address on it for a small freelance job I did. In the end, I showed them just the bank statement and that's all they cared about. They searched my pack and that was it, I got in no problem.

If you're very concerned and don't want to take chances, you could probably get the return ticket and then as soon as you get into the US cancel and get a refund (if refundable). Also, technically speaking, you don't need a passport, a birth certificate is acceptable (same applies to US citizens going into Canada). But you need a picture ID with it if I'm not mistaken (driver's license). I suppose getting a passport is probably a good idea though.

If you got any more questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

PKH
02-03-2005, 18:47
When I walked across the border at Fort Fairfield Maine, U.S. customs actually seemed surprised that I had a passport. I was prepared for all kinds of nausea of course but found the whole process quite painless. They were certainly courteous enough. Still, I would recommend taking a passport. While technically you don't need it, it is still excellent ID.

Cheers,

PKH

Peaks
02-03-2005, 19:12
When I walked across the border at Fort Fairfield Maine, U.S. customs actually seemed surprised that I had a passport. I was prepared for all kinds of nausea of course but found the whole process quite painless. They were certainly courteous enough. Still, I would recommend taking a passport. While technically you don't need it, it is still excellent ID.

Cheers,

PKH

It all depends on the boarder guard. I'm not a Canadian resident, but I enjoyed a good chat with the Canadian Boarder guards when I crossed the boarder a couple of times last summer. Meanwhile, the US Guard near Cut Bank Montana give me a rough time because I didn't have a birth certificate. But, the US Guard at Niagara Falls could have cared less.

chris
02-03-2005, 19:16
The Canadians gave me a rough time last summer when I came into the country near Glacier NP. Since I was going to be in Canadia for 45 days (so i told them), they wanted to know how much cash I had on hand, in the bank, my credit limits, contact info, etc, etc. It took about 90 minutes to clear the border. The US border agents will probably do the same.

rocket04
02-03-2005, 22:34
The Canadians gave me a rough time last summer when I came into the country near Glacier NP. Since I was going to be in Canadia for 45 days (so i told them), they wanted to know how much cash I had on hand, in the bank, my credit limits, contact info, etc, etc. It took about 90 minutes to clear the border. The US border agents will probably do the same. Yes, if you're going to be in for a longer period, it's rare they won't require financial proof of some sort. And I've heard of several canadians who tried to go to the US for longer stays without the required documents and were turned back at the border. Be prepared and you should be fine.

dje97001
02-03-2005, 22:55
Last time I went to Canada, I brought a copy of my birth certificate--and they asked for it. Here is the official state department information with regard to US citizens travelling to Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Visas and Travel Documents

General

Visas are not required for U.S. citizens entering Canada from the U.S. You will, however, need:

(1) proof of your U.S. citizenship such as your U.S. passport (For information on obtaining a U.S. passport, check with one of the regional passport agencies located throughout the U.S.) or certified copy of your birth certificate issued by the city, county or state in the U.S. where you were born. If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen and do not have a passport, you should travel with your naturalization certificate. A driver’s license or Social Security card is NOT valid proof of citizenship.

(2) photo identification, such as a current, valid driver’s license.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Alligator
02-03-2005, 23:10
The Canadians gave me a rough time last summer when I came into the country near Glacier NP. Since I was going to be in Canadia for 45 days (so i told them), they wanted to know how much cash I had on hand, in the bank, my credit limits, contact info, etc, etc. It took about 90 minutes to clear the border. The US border agents will probably do the same.
I had the EXACT same problem back in '94 trying to enter Canada at the crossing near GNP. We were heading to Alaska and were only going to be in Canada for several days. Most of our money was in the bank, we were using ATM cards along the way. They wouldn't let us through because we did not have enough cash on hand. The guard kept asking me "Don't I know you?". I'll bet he's still there:rolleyes: . Rather than wait until the next day, we changed our plans and drove to Washington. We ended up crossing there. Of course, they had us in the computer but at least the second time we carried enough cash to avoid denial. We used birth certificates and picture license.

saimyoji
02-03-2005, 23:11
Yeah, border guards can be moody. I once got by showing only my voter registration card! And I was coming from Mexico.