PDA

View Full Version : UL backpack

Jagglax
06-21-2011, 23:00
Alright so i have a Gregory Boltoro 70 which is way to big for what i do besides in the winter. Ive shaved my base weight down to aout 18lbs. I need your opinion on these 3 packs. Granite gear Blaze 60or other GG packs, ULA Catalyst or other ULA packs. But i just ran across the osprey exos 58. I like the idea that it has more of a suspension. Im still leaning towards the ULA. I need your opinions. Thanks.

flatfeet
06-21-2011, 23:35
First off congratulations.

Sorry to suggest another bag but.....

I really liked the Flash 65 from REI. I think stock it weighs in at something like 3lbs 7ounces. What I really like about it is that is it pretty flexible and allows for some experiments with really UL backpacking. For example you can remove the plastic back support and see if a rolled up sleeping mat inside provides enough support. Remove the lid. Cut the excess straps. All in all i got it down to 1lb 12 ounces. The damn thing is cheap too. 170 bucks.

I think suspension in terms for backpacks is a made up word. The only way to make you bag more comfortable it to carry less gear. I didn't like the Exos 58. Too many bells and whistles.

The ULA lines are solid performers. Made in America too. I don't know where GG is made but they are pretty stellar as well.

Good luck on your search.

sizemj
06-22-2011, 08:01
From the Gossamer Gear website: "All of our products are designed by Gossamer Gear and manufactured in the United States" I think Utah, may be wrong on that.

sizemj
06-22-2011, 08:02
Sorry not Utah, Austin TX.

bigcranky
06-22-2011, 09:28
Call ULA, they will help you decide between the Circuit and the Catalyst. Love my Circuit.

For the Exos, make sure you try it on with weight in it. I wanted so much to like that pack, but the frame dug into my hips in a most painful fashion. I guess it's made for smaller people.

Hooch
06-22-2011, 09:59
Call ULA, they will help you decide between the Circuit and the Catalyst. Love my Circuit.

For the Exos, make sure you try it on with weight in it. I wanted so much to like that pack, but the frame dug into my hips in a most painful fashion. I guess it's made for smaller people.

Second this. Call (435)753-5191, the phone will be answered by Chris, ULA's owner. He'll answer any questions you have and suggest the pack tha tis right for you. Make sure you know your torso length when you talk to him so he can send the right sixe pack, should you order.

Roots
06-22-2011, 10:25
I have owned several packs...Osprey, Gregory, and even a Camp Trails-way back. I just purchased the ULA Circuit-new version- this past March. Amazing pack! Highly suggest it! Plus it is the best customer service I've ever experienced. Good luck!

skinewmexico
06-22-2011, 17:49
The Exos 46 and 58 were the most painful packs I've ever worn. Really wanted them to work though. Try before you buy, my skinny buddy loves my 58. Sold them both to finance a Circuit and Catalyst. Rarely use the Catalyst, it's just too big. If I'm not carrying a lot of water, or in a rocky area, I like my Gossamer Gear Mariposa.

Kaptain Kangaroo
06-22-2011, 18:09
I love my Exos 58, it is light but has nice features that suit my needs. It replaced my Vapour Trail, also a nice pack but a bit harder to live with because of the very long pack collar & the lack of external storage for easy access items like camera & compass etc. The Exos has plenty (although i did cut off a lot of excess straps & gear loops). The Exos is comfortable for me, but the frame if very rigid & may not suit all body shapes............packs are one piece of gear where it is really important to try before you buy !

Trailbender
06-22-2011, 18:11
I have a Golite Quest that I removed the stays and framesheet from, it is a lot lighter. I also cut pack weight, so I am still experimenting with a new setup. If your total weight is light, and you cram everything together into a solid package, you probably won't need stays or a framesheet. Your gear will be one solid, compact mass and will provide it's own support, still working on this, but it seems to do well so far.

STICK
06-26-2011, 10:39
Another fan of ULA here! I would suggest the Catalyst or the Circuit.

But you need to figure out how much volume you actually need in a pack, not just a base weight. (Some say that you can put all of your gear in a box and then figure out the roundabout cu in that you would need. Or even better, if you can get somewhere that actually sells the packs you can bring your stuff and load it up inside them.)

Anyway, I only say this about how much room you need because buying a pack based on weight can be a big wake up once the pack arrives. I recently ordered a pack to use for my "light" summer set up and once the pack arrived, well I found it to be huge! I did look at the listed cu in, and to be honest I thought 3400 cu in was small, but let me tell ya, it's not! At least for the load I need. Now I am looking for a pack closer to 2600 cu in...

Anyway, I am sure to that some order packs and then once they get it they find that there stuff is too much volume for the pack...

Good luck!

Lyte-w8-hyker
09-28-2011, 14:31
Pick up a used granite gear vapor trail, great transition from normal bombproof pack to lightweight. Very durable and you can find them cheap used. I got mine for 70$ shipped last summer at backpackinglight.com, great value for the money.